• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

R7BB Mickey Baker Mastertone

tdarian

If one of these would help me master the Mickey Baker "How to play Jazz & Hot Guitar Vol #1 book then I will seek one out!

TM1

Don't we wish that having the guitar and the book would make us instant "Jazzer's"... I've got a 3-pickup R-7 that I'd owned for 10 years. If I were home and not sitting on a 737 headed to New Orleans, I'd post a shot of it.
i sent it to Kim @ Historic Makeovers in Nov. of 2013 and it came back last Spring better than ever. It was a really good one to start with and became incredible!

Lightning1

I saw a black Les Paul Custom with 3 P90s in the flesh in 1978 - 9 at Regent Sound in Denmark Street, London. There was no reason to doubt its authenticity as aging processes didn't exist then and frauds, or 'lash-ups' as we called them, were crude and easily spotted, even in the heyday of the Japanese lawsuit guitar invasion, but it couldn't have been the Gray.

This Beauty's electronics weren't set up like an ES5, like Grays, but like an ES5 Switchmaster! It had the long pickup selector in the place of the toggle switch and, I believe, six knobs! It
llooked real enough and, being a callow youth, I just thought it yet another variant in the ever expanding Les Paul universe - little did I know, however, it was a singularity, that it was alone in the galaxy, a freak amongst the firmament to be pointed at and discussed in hushed tones while no one's looking. Campfire songs have been sung about it. It's out there, kids, a grail, a questing beast, for I have borne witness to its eccentric glory.

Binky Griptite

Anyone here know more about them?
LPB3-MB is the correct designation, I believe.
It's an interesting guitar, wired like a Gibson ES-5 (3xvolume, 1x"master tone").
One piece body, old-school circular wire rout, thin finish.
I believe @25-40 of them they were made between 1998 and 2004?
Here's a 2003 that Lark St. had awhile back.
Sorry to revive an old thread but this is my guitar, see avatar. I love it. I changed the 57 classics for Custom Buckers and swapped the tone control for a Freeway switch but it won't let me select all pickups together. I play it a lot

vsobo

Super cool guitar. Does anyone know how many original Mickey baker custom les Pauls were built?

Binky Griptite

Super cool guitar. Does anyone know how many original Mickey baker custom les Pauls were built?
Thanks, it is! I actually have 2 of them, posted a pic of both on a different thread once I guess.

Not sure if anyone knows how many originals were made, seems like it never got out of the prototype stage. I believe there are more than 1 still around, probably less than 10 made? Who knows. The reissues were made from 1998-2003, less than 50 made and sold mostly for the Japanese market