• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

V Front Fender Supers Amps???

Wally

MapleFlame, I would gladly post some pics, but this old computer is about dead. I can't get pics to the 'net. IF you really wanted to see the amp, I could send you a pic or two via phone.
And.....I'm glad that I responded to your orignal post in this thread. IT pushed me to get this old Pro sounding the way it should....and it finally does. The only original components on the board now are the input resistors....and if I had 3 more fresh 5Megs, those would be new, too. I spent tiem today in between jobs and customers installing a lot of new resistors. I recapped it soem time back. The amp sounds great for the first time in many, many years....since long before I bought it, I am sure. IT is a recover...by Gregg Rogers. I did the amber shellac job on it. This job has been a long term project. The PT is a new MM. The speaker in this one if a field magnet unit. There is one rattly metal can 6SC7 in it, but I have some fresh glass 6SC7's awaiting use in this amp.
Serial number #2611.

MapleFlame

I was able to get the amp running, but it has about 10% power. Will have to take my time going through caps, grounding, tighten screws/bolts, resistors etc...

Wally

MapleFlame, I don't know why I didn't refer to THE sorce for things pertaining to vintage FEnder amps....here is the serial dating chart from the Gagliano/Huntington/Reibe articles that were published in 20th Century Guitar soem time back.

http://www.ggjaguar.com/fendamp5.htm

Looking there in the Super Section, one sees that they list 1952 and 1953 together, and the span is from number 2000 through 4300. Your amp is #36--, and I am going to guess that that number puts it in 1953.

IF you go to 'home' there and hit 'bibliography' there are a total of 6 articles that deal with "DAting FEnder Amps" in there.

My #2611 is a 1952...despite all of the codes that are much earlier...pots form 1950 and such. The tube chart in my amp reads 5A5, but the circuit details make the schematic a 5B5...1952..and that jibes with the serial number dating.

Now, I gotta go check out your restoration thread. Note: I am much impressed with this Pro...magnificent amplifier, imho.

Last edited:

Vintage1

I am just starting to go thru a Split-Face SUPER, owned by San Diego bluesman
BLONDE BRUCE THORPE since about 1984, who passed away Feb. 25th, 2020 of kidney cancer.

It is serial number 940.

3- 6SC7s. ( My best guess right now- late 1949 / early 1950. )

I will attempt to contact you guys individually, and hope that your projects sound excellent!

Best regards!

PS: If you knew Blonde Bruce Thorpe, we just put up a tribute FaceBook site, and his obit
will be in the forthcoming issue of Vintage Guitar Magazine, along with Little Charlie Baty.

MapleFlame

I am just starting to go thru a Split-Face SUPER, owned by San Diego bluesman
BLONDE BRUCE THORPE since about 1984, who passed away Feb. 25th, 2020 of kidney cancer.

It is serial number 940.

3- 6SC7s. ( My best guess right now- late 1949 / early 1950. )

I will attempt to contact you guys individually, and hope that your projects sound excellent!

Best regards!

PS: If you knew Blonde Bruce Thorpe, we just put up a tribute FaceBook site, and his obit
will be in the forthcoming issue of Vintage Guitar Magazine, along with Little Charlie Baty.

Look forward to the restoration. Please post some pictures. Love the provenance of this amp. Any help you need, I've learned alot in 6 years.