• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Darren Glover is a Badass Mofo'!

Texas Blues

That's right y'all.

Ever since I first seen a video of Flash Lightnin's Hobo a couple years ago I knew this

guy had THE TONE!

Darren you sir are an inspiration!

Please tell us your rig setup and pup's in your R9.

You got fans right here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJeRJMdbopI

And on tour with ZZ TOP!!!

Have mercy.

Fried okra

Man, that dude sounds familiar. I've seen them somewhere, just can't remember where.

QuirkyBurst

Smokin' hot! Superior tone. :hank

:yah

No offense intended at all, but it immediately reminded me of Golden Earring!

randall

That's right y'all.

Ever since I first seen a video of Flash Lightnin's Hobo a couple years ago I knew this

guy had THE TONE!

Darren you sir are an inspiration!

Please tell us your rig setup and pup's in your R9.

You got fans right here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJeRJMdbopI

And on tour with ZZ TOP!!!

Have mercy.

Wow man! You just made my month! Thank you for the kind words and support. I guess it's time to go to Texas!

I did get the chance to tour with ZZ Top, it was amazing, Billy was so kind to me. We spent our days playing each others guitars/rigs and talking tone. I stayed cool as a could, but man i was just in heaven. Lucky man was I.

That Rig from the ZZ tour was a Custom 50 Blockhead with a 4x12 with Greenbacks. The pedals were a ts808, dd3, and boss flanger. I never used pedals till now, never hurts to add a little grease. That guitar has Sheptone tributes.

That older Hobo is a 72 50 watt, 69 4x12 w/greenbacks, the guitar is a 50th r9 with Throbak +.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Cheers
Darren

For fun i tried a set of Billy's strings for a couple shows. See if you can tell i am using rubber bands for strings! Rev said i had Beano tone!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VpfSJl9O50

Last edited:

corpse

Huge tone- great vibe. I did catch a little Heartbreaker there- cool.
That guy in the front row pumped his fist for eight full minutes- or was it longer?

Texas Blues

Wow man! You just made my month! Thank you for the kind words and support. I guess it's time to go to Texas!

I did get the chance to tour with ZZ Top, it was amazing, Billy was so kind to me. We spent our days playing each others guitars/rigs and talking tone. I stayed cool as a could, but man i was just in heaven. Lucky man was I.

That Rig from the ZZ tour was a Custom 50 Blockhead with a 4x12 with Greenbacks. The pedals were a ts808, dd3, and boss flanger. I never used pedals till now, never hurts to add a little grease. That guitar has Sheptone tributes.

That older Hobo is a 72 50 watt, 69 4x12 w/greenbacks, the guitar is a 50th r9 with Throbak +.

Cheers
Darren

For fun i tried a set of Billy's strings for a couple shows. See if you can tell i am using rubber bands for strings! Rev said i had Beano tone!

What a fantastic ride and very much obliged for sharing a little taste of what many of us can only dream of. Hangin' with the Rev and playin' fast guitars with big horsepower amplificadore's. That's a very powerful drug to be high on.

I reckon I don't have the ear to discern whether you were using .007's, .008's or even .013's for that matter. All I know is you got some kickass tone and you got the feel for it too. I also hear Billy's influence in your playing although you don't sound like Billy. You've certainly taken a little of this and some of that, and turned it inside out and put your own DNA on it. You got some very good kung fu going on there sir.

Si senor! C'mon down to Texas! Texan's would love the sound of what you're throwin' down. Who knows? Maybe you could get a slot playin' SXSW in Austin. Sheeeeeit. Y'all would own that town! And we'd hope to make y'all as welcome as a cold beer at a bbq.

Oh hell yeah!

mistersnappy

Cheers
Darren

Yup, thats The Dream! Hanging with Billy and playing like you do! :dude: :salude

randall

I played 10's then tried 8's now on 9's. I now like the lighter strings, just easier. The tone is all still there, or if it's missing a hint from the bigger strings who cares know one can tell and that way you got more room to bend and relax. Billy has 7's and it's crazy jamming on his guitar. But all i can say is when i played his guitar into that magnatone super 59 he sounded just like old BFG. I think why he can sound thin these days is not the strings it's that JMP1 preamp thing. His amp tone sounded just the same as mine.
Billy played my burst and he made the guitar sound just like Pearly. I freaked out and asked him to show me how he did it, and it's %100 his hands and more so his right hand, plus a really good Les Paul.

I do for sure have a bunch of old ZZ in my guitar influences, but i am also huge into all the same guys that most LP players love. Beck truth is a big one, anything 60's 70's with a Burst/Marshall and i am sold, oh and there is Fender/burst too. I think it helps that i was born in the 70's. You can't teach it, it was just in the water, if you know what i mean.

JJ Blair

Outstanding. Thanks for hipping me to this, TB.

Great stuff, Darren. It's tough carrying a 3 piece, and you're killing it!

Cliff Gress

Listening to Walking Blues as I type this. Great sound. Come to Michigan!

v-verb

Great thread! Darren is a good friend and he's rocking my Blockhead Custom 50 - he makes it sound great!!

Texas Blues

Great thread! Darren is a good friend and he's rocking my Blockhead Custom 50 - he makes it sound great!!

I reckon there's a good story behind that.

Would you mind giving us the details of him using it and relating the history of that amp?

I love those kind of stories and I don't know anything about Blockhead's.

Would love to hear about it, what tubes, speakers, what circuit, and the like.

It sounds killer!

Or Darren, would you care to comment por favor?

randall

This thread with get bumped probably because this isn't about Historic LP's anymore. So to answer your question quickly.
The Blockhead custom 50 is a clone of a Marshall plexi 50 but with tweaks to make it have the VH sound. So lower voltage and more gain. Tubes are standard and speakers are greenbacks.

Thanks

Texas Blues

This thread with get bumped probably because this isn't about Historic LP's anymore. So to answer your question quickly.
The Blockhead custom 50 is a clone of a Marshall plexi 50 but with tweaks to make it have the VH sound. So lower voltage and more gain. Tubes are standard and speakers are greenbacks.

Thanks

Cool. I thought the newer version of Hobo still sounded "plexi-ish" but yes sir, maybe a skosh more gain. It all came together and rocked pretty dang hard.

So to keep 'thangs on track for thread's sake, can we get some love about the LP in the newer version? If I recall back in the OX4 thread you might have mentioned you don't have the 50th ann R9 any more. What is it now? You mentioned loaded with Shep's. How do you personally like the Throwbacks vs. the Sheptone's? I know that's goofy question as they'll sound different in different guitar's but what is your overall ballpark opinion? They're both great pup's I know but allow me to play devil's advocate and push the envelope on the subject. I appreciate an actual pro player's opinion and respect it. Thanks man.

corpse

BTW- TB- I have listened to that first clip about ten times. Incredible tone. I wonder if it is the ambient tone provided by the crappy mic in the huge hall. But it is the tone. Randall- thanks for playin' it and TB thanks for pointing it out.