• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Darren Glover is a Badass Mofo'!

randall

Cool. I thought the newer version of Hobo still sounded "plexi-ish" but yes sir, maybe a skosh more gain. It all came together and rocked pretty dang hard.

So to keep 'thangs on track for thread's sake, can we get some love about the LP in the newer version? If I recall back in the OX4 thread you might have mentioned you don't have the 50th ann R9 any more. What is it now? You mentioned loaded with Shep's. How do you personally like the Throwbacks vs. the Sheptone's? I know that's goofy question as they'll sound different in different guitar's but what is your overall ballpark opinion? They're both great pup's I know but allow me to play devil's advocate and push the envelope on the subject. I appreciate an actual pro player's opinion and respect it. Thanks man.

I have had a ton of LP's over the years and have tried almost every pickup and no matter what guitar or pickup it just sounds like me. I guess i am always just trying to sound like someone else? Each pickup in my opinion has a difference that only you can hear most of the time. I even once wound a pickup and i don't have a clue what i am doing and it came out sounding almost like the SD ants i had. So i can't say what pickup i prefer. I once had a set of 36th anni Dimarzios and they were amazing, i just wish they made them better, they really cheap out on construction. It's all smoke and mirrors. Clapton uses the worst pickups and he still rules. I can't keep a pickup in a guitar longer than 6 months!.
That being said i think the new custom buckers are awesome and i wouldn't touch those solder joints if i owned a new 2013 or 2014 LP.

randall

I am kind of shocked, i thought more people would ask me about BFG? I guess all people care about now is Joe Bonnarocksma? oh well. Just kidding!

RevPearly

I have had a ton of LP's over the years and have tried almost every pickup and no matter what guitar or pickup it just sounds like me. I guess i am always just trying to sound like someone else? Each pickup in my opinion has a difference that only you can hear most of the time. I even once wound a pickup and i don't have a clue what i am doing and it came out sounding almost like the SD ants i had. So i can't say what pickup i prefer. I once had a set of 36th anni Dimarzios and they were amazing, i just wish they made them better, they really cheap out on construction. It's all smoke and mirrors. Clapton uses the worst pickups and he still rules. I can't keep a pickup in a guitar longer than 6 months!.
That being said i think the new custom buckers are awesome and i wouldn't touch those solder joints if i owned a new 2013 or 2014 LP.

I think you have provided ample evidence that "THE TONE" is in the hands! After checking out the video in the OX4 thread awhile back I said you needed to bottle the stuff.....aint't jokin'. You put that tone in a bottle and call it "Texas Tone Mojo Juice", I want a 55 gallon drum.:jim

Seriously Darren, would love to see you play Georgia or North Florida :yah And any lowdown on BFG would be cool.

DoubleBoogie

I am kind of shocked, i thought more people would ask me about BFG? I guess all people care about now is Joe Bonnarocksma? oh well. Just kidding!

So tell us more about the Rev. He is one of my all time favorites. I:dude: can't imagine what it was like to hang out with him and talk music and gear. You might have asked him, but when he is off the road and home and chillin out and wants to bang around on a guitar and amp, what does he keep handy?

Texas Blues

Hahahaha...

I was actually layin' off you for awhile as I didna' want you think I was stalking you. :rofl

Joe's all cool and the gang and I enjoy his playing and he puts on a killer show as well, but his

music is not really my 'thang. The shit you play on the other hand, THATS my kind of rock!

By all means, I and many here, would love to hear all you wish to relate about Billy G. His

guitars, his amps, and ever 'thang from slide's to what he likes to eat back stage. And how

about Elwood? Was he along with Billy on the tour and if so, tell us about him too.

All would be very appreciated by many on this forum. Who know's, maybe that Joe B.

might even pop in here and comment or maybe that guitar player from The Cars.

What's that guy's name again?

joemags54

Texas Blues, we can count on you......ABSOLUTELY KILLER!!! Loved it start to finish......SMOKIN' HOT.... Thanks for sharing..:salude ...............and I just heard from someone else BFG uses 7's....... (P.S. Was looking at a TS808 just this morning, side by side with the King of Tone)

Mobile Willie

NICE!!! TB you are right this type of boogie touches something deep down in your gut. JB is a great picker and love his take and music but this stuff is more primal

Todd68

Darren is a nice guy. He used to drive a pretty cool van too. Late night Les Paul deals in an Ikea parking lot.

randall

Hey Thanks! I am glad you guys dig it, i work super hard to make this band earn a dollar. It's so dam hard to survive in Canada as a musician.
My band actually started as a ZZ cover band. We played lot's of other 60's and 70's rock but my main thing was ZZ. So to play with ZZ Top and hang with BFG was unreal. I have met and hung out with my share of rockers but no one like Billy. They roll with a very small crew, it's a very chill small little family that makes that ZZ machine work. I am sure Billy knew right away that i am his biggest fan, but he just didn't waste a second, the moment i stepped on the deck he was there checking out my rig and guitar. I had so many question to ask him about old ZZ Top but he just isn't that guy anymore he is BFG 2014, and because of this it was super easy to relate. He is all about NOW, and i realized that i too should be about the preset. I use to turn my nose up at his modern day tone but now i totally get it and love it. I got to play all his guitars with his rig and it was fucking awesome. That guitar rig is juiced up like a hotrod. His guitars are so incredibly well built and comfortable to play. He has this new Goldtop with trapeaze tailpiece that was so good, sounded just as fat as my solid LP and the guitar is about 6 pounds. He put me on the phone with Bolin and i talked with him for about 30 min on guitars. When i get the cash Bolin is making me that guitar.
Billy and i hung out at his computer and checked out gear for hours, he looks at all the same sites as we do. From thumbwheels to pickup rings, to pickups to tuners, he is on top of who's doing what. But the real fun is when we went out for drinks, he started talking about all the blues guys he met and what they taught him, wild stories that i will never forget and won't repeat. I will tell you this, he sure doesn't like to be bothered at all when he is on his time, i would basically be the body guard! Being famous must be a scary thing to live with. But Billy is the nicest and coolest guy you will ever meet. I call him the blues space man that fell to earth.
If you look at my Facebook page and instagram you will find a couple cool photo's.

Last edited:

Daniel James

Darren, I caught Flash Lightnin' live in BC a couple/few years ago, opening for a band who shall be remain unnamed (they were blown off stage that night) and it was the best tone I've ever heard live. Do I recall correctly that you were playing a non-Gibson brazillian-board '59 replica at the time? That was a hell of a sound. Really killer to hear more from you guys.

c_wester

For fun i tried a set of Billy's strings for a couple shows. See if you can tell i am using rubber bands for strings! Rev said i had Beano tone!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VpfSJl9O50[/QUOTE]

That's some killer tone and playing!
The sound with the thinner strings just sounds better to my ears.

Texas Blues

Good God and have mercy!

Chillin' with Billy, surfin' with him on his 'puter, yakkin' with John Bolin, talkin' about blues guy's he's played with...

LPF POST OF THE YEAR!

I just popped a boner!

Hardrockmapletop

Just caught a ZZ special on sat TV like 2 days ago, and Billy's black Gretsch tone was killer! :hank

stevechilders

Randall (Darren)... all I can say is your doing it right! You got the big three:
Touch, Tone & Taste... I think the Rev would say "that's the killer-diller right there"

DoubleBoogie

Darren, I am going to be in Vancouver the nights of August 7th and 8th. Any chance you guys might be playing there one of those nights? Would really love to hear you guys. :yah

randall

Darren, I am going to be in Vancouver the nights of August 7th and 8th. Any chance you guys might be playing there one of those nights? Would really love to hear you guys. :yah

Hey man, we will be in Pemberton July 18th. That's the closest date right not. Too bad that didn't line up. Hopefully soon.

cheers
D