• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2014 Gibson Les Paul Long Scale from Gibson Custom

MikeSlub

Administrator
Well, I was intrigued, so I bought one of these. Has a different feel and a big crispness to its sound with the 25-1/2 inch scale length. I raised the tailpiece a bit so that the strings are a bit relaxed. They evidently are doing two neck size versions - this one is the big '59 style. Has binding on the front and back of body, and the ES-345 style inlays. Not my favorite top (straight flame, quartersawn tops are generally passé for me) but I like the color, not too BBQ and the flame is okay. Definitely an acquired taste, but I like it! Thanks to Steve Mesple at Wildwood for another cool guitar! :dude:

2014%20Gibson%20Les%20Paul%20Long%20Scale.jpg

2014%20LP%20Long%20Scale%20passenger%20side.jpg

2014%20LP%20Long%20Scale%20back%20close%20up.jpg

2014%20LP%20Long%20Scale%20headstock%20back.jpg

2014%20LP%20Long%20Scale%20whole%20guitar.jpg

Last edited:
K

Kim R

Twang [Thunk!].

That's a beauty, Mike!! Need tone reports :hank

Congratulations!

Big Al

I'd like one with the old style 345 cherry stain and one piece lightly blistered top, or vintage blonde. That is a very interesting guitar and very, very cool, Mike.

Les'isMorePaul

Very hot.

No way I could manage it this year, but I'm hoping these become a permanent part of the lineup.

jhmp

I love the concept of the longer scale!
They went the easiest way out tooling wise, just relocated the bridge and tailpiece. I wonder how it would feel if they went the other way and made a longer neck for this model? Hmmmm... I'd love to try one.

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
They went the easiest way out tooling wise, just relocated the bridge and tailpiece. I wonder how it would feel if they went the other way and made a longer neck for this model? Hmmmm... I'd love to try one.

I'm pretty sure there's more to it than that. The frets are all in different locations w/a different scale.

MWR

Mike, how do you decide what to buy when it comes to LPs? Do you consider the long term or rarity, etc? Is it the tone or look? Just wondering. :hmm

Seoighs

I thinks it's got one of the prettiest BACKS I've ever seen...beautiful.

thanks for sharing Mike.

Big Al

Since the body shape and size is the same the bridge and tailpiece are relocated to accommodate the greater scale length. Pickup location too. The neck is proportionately longer, too. All in all a pleasing look. I don't understand your point. The neck body joint at the 16th fret remains and the longer scale is balanced and well executed in the proper manner.

jhmp

I imagine they went about the changes the best way possible, But it also opened the door for other approaches to accommodate the longer scale.
If they had left the hardware in the original location ( bridge and tail piece), the neck would be longer providing better access to the higher register, but the neck pick up would not be as deep sounding as we are accustomed to. It would react more like the neck pick up on a ES-350 or like a '60 LP Special. The neck would only be a little longer and maybe neck heavy. But what a fun experiment that could be!
I'd love to try one.

les strat

Nice Mike!

So, besides typical guitar-to-guitar variances, do you hear any unique tonal differences with the longer scale?

MikeSlub

Administrator
Nice Mike!

So, besides typical guitar-to-guitar variances, do you hear any unique tonal differences with the longer scale?

Crisp, punchy, chimey. This is a really great sounding guitar. I must've gotten lucky with this one. :dude: :hank

MikeSlub

Administrator
Mike, how do you decide what to buy when it comes to LPs? Do you consider the long term or rarity, etc? Is it the tone or look? Just wondering. :hmm

All of the above and more. I buy what speaks to me, tonally, visually, feel, unique features, one of my geetar heroes, etc. :jim

MikeSlub

Administrator

Wrong... Has a longer neck, fret spacing, tailpiece and bridge location, etc. :hank

Big Al

I imagine they went about the changes the best way possible, But it also opened the door for other approaches to accommodate the longer scale.
If they had left the hardware in the original location ( bridge and tail piece), the neck would be longer providing better access to the higher register, but the neck pick up would not be as deep sounding as we are accustomed to. It would react more like the neck pick up on a ES-350 or like a '60 LP Special. The neck would only be a little longer and maybe neck heavy. But what a fun experiment that could be!
I'd love to try one.

Nope.