• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2014 Gibson Les Paul Long Scale from Gibson Custom

jhmp

This isn't a contest. It's obvious it has a longer neck. It's a longer scale. But as our friend Al pointed out the neck still joins at the 16th fret, so it is actually longer in each direction. My point remains. Simply put, there is more than one way to skin a cat. I would have loved to be a part of the trial and error process deciding which direction to go in. Can you begin to imagine the differences in feel and tone, good or bad, that R&D could have gone through with this one.
Thats the point I was trying to make.

MikeSlub

Administrator
. Can you begin to imagine the differences in feel and tone, good or bad, that R&D could have gone through with this one.
Thats the point I was trying to make.

What makes you assume they didn't do this? :hmm

jhmp

Simply put, there is more than one way to skin a cat. I would have loved to be a part of the trial and error process deciding which direction to go in. Can you begin to imagine the differences in feel and tone, good or bad, that R&D could have gone through with this one.

Did I say they didn't Mike?

To paraphrase myself -I would have loved to have been in on it.
What an awesome addition/ opportunity to their flagship model.

MikeSlub

Administrator
normal_long%20scale%20lp%20vs%20regular.JPG

Big Al

A long scale Les Paul has to be a Les Paul. The approach is classic and done in the best way to do it. There are not any other cat skins needed. It has to be a Les Paul. Single cut arched top, 16th fret body location, 22 frets and pickups over certain node points in the scale. You can get the long scale SG, or by a Strat or Ibanez if you want skinned cats more to your liking. This is a 25 1/2 inch scale Les Paul. Simple. There is no other way to do it within the parameters of being a Les Paul.

There is no contest. No skinless cats and no reason to keep harping on an idea without merit. This is how it is done, there is no R&D on alternative ways to approach it. Not if you want to keep the same body.

I'll break it down. The length of string from nut to bridge is 25.5 inches. Not exactly but close enough for this. That cannot change. The body is the Les Paul Model we all know and love. Now if you shift the whole neck to bridge length forward out of the body it displaces the pickups relationship to each other as well as removing the neck pickup off the node point. Then you have a bridge that also is placed closer to the neck/body joint. Now what? Keep the controls where they are? Farther from the bridge and picking area or do they move toward the new bridge spot?

You get a clumsy and unnatural guitar with no relationship to a Les Paul Model.

So I say again, NOPE!:##

jhmp

There is always more than one way to do anything. The right way, the wrong way, ( and for each entity ) Their way! This production model already has a juxtaposition between the controls and the tail piece, due to the longer scale...
Any approach to a longer scale will be different somewhere in the layout. Again, the ES-350 and '60 LP Special have different neck pickup locations but are still on node points and loved by many.
Look at all the different Les Pauls, the very remote models are still Les Pauls.

I hope every one enjoys their guitars this weekend, I'm just glad I didn't say anything about religion or health care. Or did I?

J.D.

Guys who like this concept should really consider checking out a PRS McCarty model with 25" scale length :jim

DanD

...or a Hamer Monaco Super Pro. With a 25.5" scale, all solid woods, and "sound posts" it is a single-cut built much like the Johhny A without the F holes.

Build quality to price ratio is very high with this one:

:peace2

sickboy79

Sure looks awesome! I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks! Congrats, Mike!

waggclan

I love the concept of the longer scale!
They went the easiest way out tooling wise, just relocated the bridge and tailpiece. I wonder how it would feel if they went the other way and made a longer neck for this model? Hmmmm... I'd love to try one.

Bro, That's so wrong it's almost funny. I own 2 long scale Lesters and an R9 and although they are different, each has it's own place in my arsenal. The Long Scale LP is a great GREAT Les Paul.

SharpDressedMan

I placed my order for one today. Washed Cherry finish with the 60s slim taper neck. It's being delivered next week. Really excited. Will post more later :59gibson :dude:

Big Al

There is always more than one way to do anything. The right way, the wrong way, ( and for each entity ) Their way! This production model already has a juxtaposition between the controls and the tail piece, due to the longer scale...
Any approach to a longer scale will be different somewhere in the layout. Again, the ES-350 and '60 LP Special have different neck pickup locations but are still on node points and loved by many.
Look at all the different Les Pauls, the very remote models are still Les Pauls.

I hope every one enjoys their guitars this weekend, I'm just glad I didn't say anything about religion or health care. Or did I?

It's facts not religion It is painfully obvious you think you know something, but I see no knowledge or insight. You got the ES350T and the LP Special all wrong.

I just love armchair luthiers.:##

Last edited:

Big Al

I placed my order for one today. Washed Cherry finish with the 60s slim taper neck. It's being delivered next week. Really excited. Will post more later :59gibson :dude:

The two I've played were stellar. You will be pleased. Do me a favor, first thing, just bang out a big ol' first position Cowboy Chord G. BBBRRAAAAAANNGG!:hank

LeonC

Zombie thread, I know...but interest and questions persist.

Mike - still have it? Still diggin?

Do you (or anyone else) have a photo of the long scale and a regular scale Les Paul next to eachother? Couldn't find one with Google...

I'm also looking for precise width measurements at nut (I know spec says 1 11/16), 12th and top of neck...can't find them anywhere. Just wonder if and how much these differ from a stock LP standard (e.g., does longer scale imply wider taper by the time you get to the top of the fretboard?).

Mr.Woody

Yeah, i just found out about these yesterday, and would love to know your thoughts this far out from purchase.
I've always been a strat guy, but have fallen in love with a friend's R& GoldTop, mainly because it's the brightest LP i've veer tried (it has burstbuckers in it). So i'm wondering if this might be right up my alley...

RedHotRed

I never knew about these either..
I'd say that's a Nighthawks neck & fingerboard on a Les Paul body..
We love our Hawk Gibsons with the 25 1/2" scale..
VERY COOL!!

ipv05g.jpg

Smolder

Just grabbed one of these in ice tea. Anxious to have a month of playing it under my belt. So far so good... snappy!

It makes me wonder what a long scale SG could be?

Last edited: