The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: 2014 Billy Gibbons Goldtop Aged

I really dig the Aged BG, the frilly looking pin stripes and Gold bling offset by the wear and aging looks really cool! For me, unaged doesn't work as well, too nice looking I guess, but that same nice stuff but worn really works!

Good tone.....cost good money

Great tone.....years of practice

Cool and only 9 grand
    Peace

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by ES345 View Post
    Cool and only 9 grand

Same here. Cool guitar but over $9K MAP for a aged model?

Guessing the aged and signed will be around $12K.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    Pictures of the back - please.
    Plenty of pics in this auction, Texas is a bit irregular shaped

http://www.ebay.de/itm/371013119733?...84.m1423.l2648

Have not been around for a while so missed this thread.Late Congrats Gaston.really nice looking guitar,Mike B.

Quote Originally Posted by mbowen View Post
    Have not been around for a while so missed this thread.Late Congrats Gaston.really nice looking guitar,Mike B.
    Not mine Mike, I would have to sell one of my guitars to get one, so I'll pass...

Gaston
    Marshall & Les Paul or Bluesbreaker & Beano burst
    "sont des mots qui vont très bien ensemble
    très bien ensemble" (as in "Michelle" by The Beatles)

Some of these landed on Hong Kong shores yesterday and I tried both a VOS and an aged.
    The aged was super light and had great tone but the worse, darkest neck pup ever. A little effort at the Custom Shop to match a nice pair of pups and wiring would be appreciated for such a mad price tag (especially mad in HK, which is silly since anyone can fly to Tokyo to grab one much "cheaper").

The aging feels good but isn't subtle, especially the back of the neck. Again, for that price, you'd expect a Murphy work of art like on the Joe Perry guitars (best neck ever).
    The neck profile is nice, meaty and comfortable.

The VOS was much heavier, felt like a VOS, the pinstriping looks a bit goofy without the aging, but the neck pup was crystal clear, great balance of the pickup and good fun blending. Yet, sometimes bringing one volume up kinda have effects you wouldn't expect. I couldn't really get any honky tone with the volumes balanced.
    It's fun to blend the volumes nevertheless, would probably be less fun on stage after a few beers.
    The 8 gauge strings are fine, after a few minutes I could play fast solos quite easily but overal the lighter strings make you wanna chill like the Rev these days.
    Conclusion: cool if you find the right one and get a real big discount. I'm sure the ones I've tried will still be hanging there next year.

So here we are many years later and I just discovered this guitar. I couldn't find much on here about them other than this thread, six years after they were introduced and a few of you should have had your hands on one of these by now so I'm curious what the verdict is.
    I'm not the biggest BG fan but my first LP was a goldtop bought new in the summer of '70 so I think that is why this one piqued my interest, that and the slightly different control arrangement which makes it look a little cleaner to me.
    I've done a brief search on Reverb etc and it looks like the asking $$ are in the 8's. Anybody have an idea what they really sell for these days?
    Thanks, Jay