LPF Homesite
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Is The Les Paul a Jazz Guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues View Post
    Great video, lovely playing, but this is not jazz

Quote Originally Posted by fakejake View Post
    Great video, lovely playing, but this is not jazz
    Thanks! I have to type though that I respectfully disagree however. Lee Ritenour is and has been, one of the foremost Jazz guitar players around, as is/has Mike Stern. Maybe your conception of Jazz is steeped the more traditional form then? Not that there's anything wrong with that. I still listen to all the greats; Wes, Kenny, Joe, etc., myself.

There's an even better version of it, but it's in a video of the entire show. Ah heck, I'll post it anyway.

The whole thing is worth watching, but if you're not into it, skip to 8:55, same tune, but from a different show:

If you're really ambitious, compare the two, so you can get a sense of how they improvise.

Last edited by Midnight Blues; 02-04-19 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Posted Video
    Midnight Blues

I agree that both Lee and Mike Stern are formidable jazz players. And I’m also aware that jazz is very hard to define.
    For me there are several key elements which individually are neither necessary or sufficient by themselves, but a certain combination of those elements should be present for me to categorize a given music as jazz.
    The music in the clip you posted for example, does not feature a swing rhythm from the drums and a walking bassline. By itself, that’s not a defining criterion (plenty of jazz with a straight beat, for instance Scofield), although I would say it is pretty important.
    The harmony is also rather stationary, not as many chord changes as in swing or bebop. Again, by itself that wouldn’t disqualify a given music as jazz, as there is a whole genre of modal jazz based on that feature.
    The sound and instrumentation is also not classic jazz. Overdriven guitar sound, electric bass, some effects.
    The combination of those features (or the lack of others) is why I wouldn’t call this jazz, but maybe fusion, or at best jazz-rock or jazz-funk.
    But that’s just my interpretation, I can see why others might disagree.

I agree that both Lee and Mike Stern are formidable jazz players. And I’m also aware that jazz is very hard to define.
    For me there are several key elements which individually are neither necessary or sufficient by themselves, but a certain combination of those elements should be present for me to categorize a given music as jazz.
    The music in the clip you posted for example, does not feature a swing rhythm from the drums and a walking bassline. By itself, that’s not a defining criterion (plenty of jazz with a straight beat, for instance Scofield), although I would say it is pretty important.
    The harmony is also rather stationary, not as many chord changes as in swing or bebop. Again, by itself that wouldn’t disqualify a given music as jazz, as there is a whole genre of modal jazz based on that feature.
    The sound and instrumentation is also not classic jazz. Overdriven guitar sound, electric bass, some effects.
    The combination of those features (or the lack of others) is why I wouldn’t call this jazz, but maybe fusion, or at best jazz-rock or jazz-funk.
    But that’s just my interpretation, I can see why others might disagree.
    All valid points for sure Jake and I would agree with you for the most part. This is definitely "Not your father's jazz tune" for sure, but to me it's not much different than what Carlton, DiMeola,Holdsworth, McLaughlin, Methany or Scofield (to name a few) do/have done. Just a variation on a theme.

P.S.

Hope you had the chance/time to watch the entire show, It's definitely worth it!
    Midnight Blues

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

No.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Obviously, you can play "jazz" on most any guitar. And as has been proven by multiple examples in this thread, the Les Paul can be an excellent choice.

That said, it's not MY preference. Something about how forward the mids are on a Lester....the very thing that make it a GREAT Rock guitar.......makes it slightly less desirable for a clean, round jazz tone, IMO.

Of course a 335 and all the archtops are great......but for a less traditional Gibson jazz guitar, I actually prefer the SG over the LP. Again, softer, more forgiving mids.

YMMV.

But that’s just my interpretation, I can see why others might disagree
    Bluestacks Kodi Lucky Patcher .
    exactly that what i want to say

I think you all said thanks bro
    Last edited by klimbo; 02-19-19 at 02:00 PM.

The Les Paul is a guitar. A guitar can be used to play any genre of music.

Quote Originally Posted by johnreardon View Post
    The Les Paul is a guitar. A guitar can be used to play any genre of music.

"What's it SOUND like, baby?" - Ray Charles

Midnight Blues

Les Paul Forum Member Shocktop99's Avatar

I played in my high School jazz band with a couple LPs, my sophomore year was my first Gibson (which was a 87 standard) then I sold it for my 74 Les Paul Custom that was for junior year ,and then my 74 got stolen during the summer between junior and senior year (thank god for insurance) which i replaced with my current 79 Les Paul custom, haven't had any problems especially with my Jazz chorus 120.
    1979 Wine Red Gibson Les Paul Custom
    1984 Roland Jazz Chorus 120
    2019 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe George Benson Signature
    2019 2x12OG Emperor Cab
    1983 Fender Stratocaster Elite

"When you plug it in... when it gets electric, its just a complete different world."

-Adam Jones Circa 1994

"Live wrong and Perspire"
    -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Shocktop99 View Post
    I played in my high School jazz band with a couple LPs, my sophomore year was my first Gibson (which was a 87 standard) then I sold it for my 74 Les Paul Custom that was for junior year ,and then my 74 got stolen during the summer between junior and senior year (thank god for insurance) which i replaced with my current 79 Les Paul custom, haven't had any problems especially with my Jazz chorus 120.
    Midnight Blues