• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Thinking about Custom Shop '68 Authentic

6950whead

Local dealer has a 2002 in decent shape....a few minor dings, minimal worming on the back. Frets look in good shape and the neck's straight. Appears all original...black, dulled chrome, Grovers, mustard toggle switch, skirted knobs, etc.

I like the chunky neck. Heavy as hell, but I haven't weighed it yet. Sounded pretty fair acoustically. Plan to plug it in this weekend and give her a test drive.

A thread from 10 years ago was helpful to me, but I'm wondering how they're holding up. If anyone is still playing one, I'd love to hear you thoughts. They're asking $2500.

MikeG59

these are IMO the best basic Les Paul custom model. I have had a few, always looking to find a lighter one but the tone and playability along with the construct is top notch. Pots and pick ups is subjective as many earlier ones are wired like USA LP's. May need a super pot upgrade. Listen first

6950whead

these are IMO the best basic Les Paul custom model. I have had a few, always looking to find a lighter one but the tone and playability along with the construct is top notch. Pots and pick ups is subjective as many earlier ones are wired like USA LP's. May need a super pot upgrade. Listen first

Appreciate that. I plan to weigh it before I play it. Will give a tone report.

A few questions if you don't mind:
  • Can you tell me what you mean by "wired like USA"?
  • Is there a cut off date or serial number for that?
  • Does a 'super pot upgrade' refer to a specific brand/model or just that some of these guitars could use better pots?
  • What would you listen for?

Thanks again...

Tim Plains

I wouldn't say they are "the best." They're on par with '57 Customs. I have both and they feel/look identical. Exact same neck. There are some Guitar Center versions with '60s slim necks. '68RIs have Gibson USA pots/caps and modern wiring. Older ones came with Burstbuckers. Newer ones have '57 Classics.

$2,500 out the door is the most I would pay for a used one and I'll bet that is more than this guitar cost new. My 2010 was $3,000 new and I know you could have gotten them for less. A pal in Florida had a hard time selling his '07 for $2,200.

Les Paul owners typically buy 500k CTS pots and Bumblebee caps. Places like Martin Six String, RS Guitar, and Dr. Vintage sell them. Gibson USA pots are 500k tone, 300k volume, ceramic disc caps.

6950whead

I wouldn't say they are "the best." They're on par with '57 Customs. I have both and they feel/look identical. Exact same neck. There are some Guitar Center versions with '60s slim necks.

The one I played felt like the necks on the '57 Goldtop reissues I've played. Out of curiosity, is there a way to identify the Guitar Center versions other than the slimmer neck?

'68RIs have Gibson USA pots/caps and modern wiring.

All of them? I ask because MikeG59 suggested it might be just the earlier ones. Anyway to tell for sure?

Older ones came with Burstbuckers. Newer ones have '57 Classics.

Any chance you know the cut off date for that? Anyway to tell the difference? Have to take off a pickup cover?

$2,500 out the door is the most I would pay for a used one and I'll bet that is more than this guitar cost new. My 2010 was $3,000 new and I know you could have gotten them for less. A pal in Florida had a hard time selling his '07 for $2,200.

Appreciate that. I figured $2500 was a bit on the high side but not completely out of the ballpark.

Les Paul owners typically buy 500k CTS pots and Bumblebee caps. Places like Martin Six String, RS Guitar, and Dr. Vintage sell them. Gibson USA pots are 500k tone, 300k volume, ceramic disc caps.

Extremely helpful. Thanks!

Progrocker111

I wouldn't say they are "the best." They're on par with '57 Customs. I have both and they feel/look identical. Exact same neck.

They may feel different (i had both), but the tone is very different, with 68 RI being a brighter and more percussive guitar. However, i prefered 57 RI with its bigger acoustical resonance and bigger tone.

Progrocker111

Any chance you know the cut off date for that? Anyway to tell the difference? Have to take off a pickup cover?

As i remember good, the cut off date was around 2004. I had 2002 with Burstbuckers. I replaced them very quick with early 70s T-Tops with much better results.

MikeG59

They may feel different (i had both), but the tone is very different, with 68 RI being a brighter and more percussive guitar. However, i prefered 57 RI with its bigger acoustical resonance and bigger tone.

The 57 is a one piece mahogany body whereas the 68 employs the maple cap which I prefer. However a mahogany body and ebony board guitar is a nice combo. I have not seen a 68 LPC reissue with better electronics, just the USA crap. My 2010 was 8lb 14oz and with a pair of Timbuckers and super pots was a HUGE sounding guitar. Neck was a little too fat for me or it would still be around.

Left to right, 2006 R4BB serial # 1, Frampton and the 68

6950whead

Oh well...you snooze, you lose!

I didn't make it in to try out the guitar this past weekend. I went in today...too late! It sold on Monday to a guy in Texas. Lucky bastard!

They said they got the $2500 asking price. Didn't know how much it weighed though.

Ah well, the search continues...

MikeG59

$2500 was good. they are all usually around 10 lbs. which is why I regret losing my 2010. keep looking they are very nice. play with pickups to find the sound.

talpa

$2500 was good. they are all usually around 10 lbs. which is why I regret losing my 2010. keep looking they are very nice. play with pickups to find the sound.

this is what i did on my '01 C.A. around 2006 (early Throbak DT's/vintage wire) and has been me #1 for several yrs. now. heavy, huge bat neck. experimented w/ a couple other Throbak sets & fortunately the DT's hit the magic spot..recommended. the perfect hard rock instrument. The '01s are fairly well-respected as i recall.

bought mine only because of Mel Galley (Trapeze)..now if someone would sell me a '69 Supergroup & Fane cab.

Progrocker111

bought mine only because of Mel Galley (Trapeze)..now if someone would sell me a '69 Supergroup & Fane cab.

Medusa was played on Supergroup and cab with Fanes? Great tone on that album... :hmm

Pip

Medusa was played on Supergroup and cab with Fanes? Great tone on that album... :hmm
Trapeze - how your talking, Mel had some tone and then some. Saw them loads Back in the day, hugely influential to me.

talpa

Think the two LPs that had more regional sass here in TX (Medusa, WATMYJTB) were cut on MG's cherry '62 Sg Special thru a Laney SG stack. Back in the MySpace days, Mel had a small page w/ some photos, and had an old closeup pic of his Laney stack..early Supergoup head/cabs - looked great. You can see the SG on the cover of YATMWJTB.
He moved to the LPC soon after - the Hotwire LP basically; (love that one too - Mel was writing & singing on his own pretty much). Saw that lineup in '74 - LPC not sure what amp he was using. I hope they recorded Hot Wire w/ the Supergroup..great tone. Kind of a sleeper LP.

Last edited: