• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Paul Reed Smith's 58 Goldtop

hoss

no. There were quite a few GTs built with a Mahogany top
You should learn something new every day. I did.
Were these "left-over" bodies from the Custom production line?

Nevertheless I am 100% sure I see maple on the Guitarpoint guitar. I am going to meet Detlef Alder in 2 weeks and will ask him.

sharky

I really don't know but this could be a very good reason for Gibson to do so

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Mahogany top?

Gibson57LPGT73952_17.jpg

Gibson57LPGT73952_5.jpg

no. There were quite a few GTs built with a Mahogany top and those are less valuable than the maple top GTs. The wood in the armwear area looks like Mahogany to me and the picture from the cutaway is not clear enough to judge

It is clearly a maple top, as seen in these photos.

And sharky is correct, there are a number of 1957 Goldtops that are all mahogany.

But, this is not one of them. :)

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

Nevertheless I am 100% sure I see maple on the Guitarpoint guitar. I am going to meet Detlef Alder in 2 weeks and will ask him.

To my knowledge, no one has found info from Gibson as to why some 57 Goldtops were all mahogany.
Some type of wood situation likely caused it, but we will likely never know for certain.

sharky

It is clearly a maple top, as seen in these photos.

And sharky is correct, there are a number of 1957 Goldtops that are all mahogany.

But, this is not one of them. :)

ah, OK, but looked so mahogany-ish to me in the armwear area, but I didn't look at the big pictures so you could be right.

note to myself: don't go to Detlef's shop this weekend and if you do, wear the pants with the shallow or no pockets.

Nice GT, a little bit pricey, but very nice. I personally don't care about the refret as long as it is done nicely

Last edited:

sillytele

I think Paul is pricing his stuff high because he does NOT want to sell. Like most husbands he may have promised the wife to thin the herd. Put a high price on it, won't sell, market sucks, I'm gonna hang on to it for a few more years... blah, blah.
Wife understands, dude keeps guitar.

ChevChelios

To my knowledge, no one has found info from Gibson as to why some 57 Goldtops were all mahogany.
Some type of wood situation likely caused it, but we will likely never know for certain.

If they had used Custom production bodies, shouldn't these be a little thicker than the "standard" bodies? So I guess the question is if the all mahogany GT are thicker than the ones with the maple cap ...

Put a high price on it, won't sell, market sucks, I'm gonna hang on to it for a few more years... blah, blah.
Wife understands, dude keeps guitar.

Tried the same thing, guitar sold, I'm pissed, but wife is happy, and - in the end - that's what counts ...

fakejake