• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Duane Allman 59 replica (Fillmore burst)

MikeSlub

Administrator
Most every one is slamming this run, does any one have a picture of what the
top finish is going to be. I know the PDF print says double dirty blond.
I was also told from a reliable source, the Gibson rep saw it, and mentioned
it looked like a tea burst to him.

The run should start shipping on July 9th.

Only 57 of each will remain in the U.S.

I have seen photos, and yes, it is like a tea burst. I was asked not to share the photos until it is officially released.

I didn't slam it - I think it will be a very cool guitar. It's not one that I want for The Sanctuary for the reasons I mentioned. :hank

mistersnappy

They all look the same, gold top, brown back. By a friggen' R7 and call it an Allman Tribute.

Now I'm more confused- I thought the point of these was to get a guitar that duplicates the dimensions of the neck and other aspects of the actual guitar? :wah

CharlieS

I think his point is that how far do you want to go on a 'tribute' guitar? Duane played a goldtop that really didn't look any different than any other goldtop. How many people want to pay a premium to have a neck which is profiled from the actual guitar? We already know that Duane swapped the pickups from the goldtop into the cherryburst, so would it be a replica of the guitar as it is today or as he played it?

The pic of the stack of Duane and R9 bodies looks pretty clear that there is no special pull of mahogany for the run. You might as well buy a cherryburst R9 or figured R8 with a similar flame pattern and call it your own Duane tribute for a whole lot less money.

tspoon

You could buy an R9 like the Duane and yes, hard to tell the difference,
But it would not be built per specs of his Cherry Burst, a copy if you will.

The other difference is the Duane factor ver a regular Re Issue.

After all, the Re Issues are based off of a general, average specs of a number
of originals. Why buy a Collectors Choice or any other Signature run if the
regular run Re Issues are a generic average copy of the originals and pay more
money for a special certificate and other goodies.

Seems Gibson has sold quite a few of special runs and people have wasted their money,
especially like the S/A Page or Hot Lanta, or could it be a nice sought after example
of a limited run, you decide.

In comparision, with the general mindset of certain limited runs,
why not buy an Ibanez electric, after all, it is an electric guitar that
makes music and alot cheaper than a R9. You guys must be crazy or a
Les Paul nut case.

You can see where this is going?

If people do not like the new Duane Allman, then simply pass, like Mike said.

Nothing personal, just my 2 cents worth.

Soulweb

tspoon's got it right. Honestly, at the end of the day this is at least mostly a business and advertising gimmick. Whether or not it's loved by the public is virtually irrelevant. If they sell the entire run (and rest assured they will) then the cost of making them is absorbed. What's left? People talking about Gibson guitars. This whole collector's choice line is marketing 101. Add up all the posts in this forum alone about all the collector's choice models. Add to that all the magazine articles about the models. Even if they're not favorable, they're all talking about Gibson. And if everyone says, "why not buy a standard R9 for less money?"....Well then they got free advertising for the R9.

The whole idea of Collector's choice is great. Above and beyond all the press and advertising this line gets there is the hundreds of posts on various forums and blogs that, without this line, would never exist.

At the very least, this line gives 300+ consumer's a guitar built as a tribute to one of their heroes. And those people generally go on and on about how great they are.

Now, being in advertising, this is easily a home run. You can't buy the kind of chatter and word-of-mouth that this series of limited runs produces. All the while, Gibson gets it's name in the same sentence as greats like Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Peter Green (CC#1), and now Duane. I mean wow!

And damn, I agree. I don't think any of these warrant the price. The idea of a tribute guitar defeats one of the main reasons of playing - expressing your individuality. But not all buyers are players.

Anyway, by discussing the accuracies of the details, or the merits of the price, we are just feeding the Gibson machine. Which is not a bad thing at all. But when Gibson creates these wonderful runs, we do our job by talking them up (or down in some cases).

I personally agree with a lot of the posts - another dirty lemon? Bo-ring. I don't really care whose it was. If I had my pick I would go with CC#1...but really, just flip the neck pup and change tuners...close enough. lol

IinvernessF7

After watching this video it has reassured me no desire to own it and I'm a Duane junky...
Who in there right mind can justify purchasing this and being put on the elevator for thousands more and not even remotely getting anything other than a picture of Duane on the COA ?
Then a guitar that resembles nothing of period correct color at all..
How could they do this? Good thing is they can keep the Walsh and leftover Felderburst company IMHO...:ha

I know this is an old thread, but as an absolute Allman Bros. junkie, I must say that I had waited years and years to get a Reissue because I was holding out for Duane's cherry burst. When I saw the release specs I was bummed and couldn't pull the trigger. Now, five years later I am looking at used ones that come for sale from time to time, and I get bummed all over again.

So my question is, how do they know what was Duane and what was changed after Donna gives it to the mutual friend Joey Marshall to "hold for Galadrielle until she turned 21." I would like to know that Duane put the Double line Schallers on it and removed the PU covers instead of Joey Marshall who obviously played it for 20 years until he gave it to Galadrielle. Were the PUs that Gibson inspected and measured the "pickups that Duane removed from the GT and put in the cherry burst?" Or, are they PUs Joey Marshall swapped out?

I have tried to justify a purchase several times, but I would rather buy a lightly figured 59 washed cherry, and install 57 classics reversed in the bridge and neck. I want the guitar that Duane wanted bad enough to Swap his Gold Top for with boot, when he saw the Stone Balloons guitarist Rick Stine playing it in Daytona,not what is left of it.

Again, what has happened, happened, and the mutual friend of Duane and Donna's who was gracious enough to fulfill a promise that most people would not have committed to should be thanked for not letting it end up in another country. But I would still like to know whether or not these are the specs of the guitar the last time Duane's hands held it, just now faded from time to a double dirty lemon. I might then decide to get one and send it off for a restoration to 1971 specs, if I knew I was starting with the right platform.

After 5 years, has anybody figured this out? (If I have missed another thread on this I apologize, but this is my yearly search for one of these guitars prior to his death the end of October, or his Birthday on November 20th, and I really want to do it this year now that Greg and Butch are gone as well.)

Thanks in advance for any input!

P.S. this is my first post, so if this has been hashed out already, again I apologize.

dcdefend

I'm going to take a shot at answering your questions. I recently purchased a used VOS Allman reissue, the cherry burst version, not the Hotlanta version. From looking at photos on this thread and others I believe that when Duane owned this guitar, it had pickup covers on, single ring double line Gibson tuners, a cream colored jack plate and was cherry burst, not lemon. Why Gibson produced an "Allman Cherryburst" that looks like the guitar appears today, is beyond me. I have replaced the tuners that came on mine with Gibson historic tuners, replaced the black jack plate with a cream one and will have it refinished to resemble the guitar as it looked when Duane used it. I will also put the Wizz cherry burst pickups in it.

So if you are still wanting one, keep looking until you find one that is reasonably priced. Replacing the tuners, jack plate and pickup covers is not a great expense. Replacing the pickups and refinishing it gets expensive. Wildwood has a nice used one that was more than I wanted to pay since I knew I would want it refinished.

Good hunting.