The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Woody tone captured on a Historic?

I've listened to my favorite album for decades titled, "The Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East". In regards to the song, "Stormy Monday", I have listened time and time again to this one particular note that defines what I believe to be the tone typically categorized as a "Woody/Open Bark". It's my favorite "note" on the whole album.

Please go to 4.44 on the run-time link below and listen to Duane as he completes a phrase and ends on this note. Hope you've got good speakers :-) The sound is unmistakeable and it is different from every other note in his solo in terms of tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gDhR1R3S0s

Obviously there are lot's of variables that come into play here including "Duane himself, his Marshall 50 watt, the partial open back Marshalll cab loaded (I believe) with JBL's and of course his '58 burst.

Has anyone been able to capture anything close to this type of tone on their historic LP? If so, curious what your rig consists of. Also interested to hear what your opinion may be as to what aspects of Duane's 58 burst may be the contributing factor to the above mentioned tone or timbre located at the 4.44 spot on the run-time.

Thanks Guys

Duane with his '58 and '59

Last edited by electricwally; 10-14-13 at 01:04 PM.
    "That painting cost $60,000 10 years ago. I could sell it today for $600,000.The illusion has become real. And the more real it becomes, the more desperately they want it. Capitalism at its finest".
    Gordon Gekko - Movie: Wall Street (1987)

Re: Woody tone captured on a Historic?

Get wcr fillmores
    Wildwood Spec Les Paul R8
    Tungsten Crema Wheat

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

I know what you speak of.. there are a couple of things to know. Duane only used JBL's in his Fender Twin. His cabs used a combination of Celestion Bass speakers-30 watters and Cerwin-Vega(just known as Vega's at that time) ER-123's. His Marshall Bass heads (model #1986) used 6CA7 tube's most of the time which sound very different from Mullard EL-34's. Duane also used Fender "Rock`n Roll Strings" #150.
    Dickey was the only one that used JBL D-120's for every show. Duane would on occasion, use one of Dickey's cabinets, but that was more common in the early days.
    The pickups in the Cherryburst (which was the only guitar Duane used on the Fillmore LP) were rewound while he still owned the Goldtop.
    So take all this into consideration..

"There's only two things wrong with you, and that's your face." - Greg Koch
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Duane used modified, partially open backed Marshall 4 x 12 cabs loaded with Cerwin Vega ER123 speakers. The speakers are a kind of JBL copy but with a smaller aluminium dome and hence, not quite so much of a bright, 'metalic' Dickie Betts sound. Coupled with the Marshall 50 - as opposed to the Fender amp - the sound was both dynamic and contemporary. Yeah, it screams and sustains...
    To me, Fenders are a passing phase, but a Les paul is for life.

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

That is called "honk"--specifically "nasal honk"

I've heard some refer to it as an almost 'harmonica-like' tone.

All of that track has the woody honk..........really something else and just love it

Thanks for posting electricwally.

Lovely tone... not a Historic.

electricwally,
    I have not heard that tone from a Historic... yet. There may be some out there, but (imo) that dry/honk/bark woody tone comes from the wood... old growth wood.

dre

....The pickups in the Cherryburst (which was the only guitar Duane used on the Fillmore LP) were rewound while he still owned the Goldtop. So take all this into consideration..
    TM1, Great info. Thanks! Yes, many factors. Just curious because I've never heard that "honk" anywhere else. It just sounds great! A real "hollow/woody sort of bark"

I spent awhile searching for a photo of The Allman Brothers backline as viewed from behind the stage (around 1970). It was a black and white pic I found on the net. Just can't locate it. They had Marshall heads and a Fender Twin onstage and you could clearly see the speakers in the "partially opened" Marshall cabs. Not sure who was playing thru what but it was a fantastic picture! Showed their whole gear. I'll try and locate it.
    "That painting cost $60,000 10 years ago. I could sell it today for $600,000.The illusion has become real. And the more real it becomes, the more desperately they want it. Capitalism at its finest".

Duane used modified, partially open backed Marshall 4 x 12 cabs loaded with Cerwin Vega ER123 speakers. The speakers are a kind of JBL copy but with a smaller aluminium dome and hence, not quite so much of a bright, 'metalic' Dickie Betts sound.
    Steve, that's interesting. I always thought the speakers in his Marshall cabs were JBL D-120's. Yes the Cerwin Vega ER123's sure look similar. Thanks for the speaker info.

Minibucker, now you've got my attention! That was the best cover of Duane's note-for-note Stormy Monday solo I've ever heard. Can't believe I missed that on youtube. I can usually tell within 5 seconds if someone's going to nail it. By God that was fantastic. His phrasing, dynamics were spot on.

I recently joined this forum this past May and still trying to figure out whose-who on this forum. Not sure who "Ed A "is but he plays very well. Thanks for the links.
    Last edited by electricwally; 06-11-13 at 09:44 PM.

only pic I could find.
    Free Web Proxy

dretot, YES that's one of them! Great find! There was another pic of the same day that panned most of the gear. I just gotta find it. Showed the whole backline from behind. Look at the Marshall cab in the pic that you posted. Sure looks like JBL D-120's (especially the aluminum tag that is located around the vent hole. That's a JBL looking tag, unless The Cerwin ER-123's copied that as well).

I just reconed a pair of D-120's not too long ago. My first Twin I ever purchase came loaded with D-120's. Sold it decades ago, now I have a '67 blackface twin with stock Jensen's (reconed of course). Can't do much with it unless i'm playing outside :-) Great find in regards to the pic!

Quote Originally Posted by dretot View Post
    Lovely tone... not a Historic.

electricwally,
    I have not heard that tone from a Historic... yet. There may be some out there, but (imo) that dry/honk/bark woody tone comes from the wood... old growth wood.

dre
    I have a feeling that Ed... could probably do that or very close with a Historic as well. My guess is that the majority of that tone (on the appropriate guitar/amp of course) comes from the player.

That said, in a lot of comparisons I've heard, the older/original guitars do seem to have some more 'bloom' or woodiness. But I think that you can still get most of it with newer historics if you play it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Minibucker View Post
    I have a feeling that Ed... could probably do that or very close with a Historic as well. My guess is that the majority of that tone (on the appropriate guitar/amp of course) comes from the player.

That said, in a lot of comparisons I've heard, the older/original guitars do seem to have some more 'bloom' or woodiness. But I think that you can still get most of it with newer historics if you play it right.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude, just wanted to point out to the OP that the clips were not done with a Historic.

I do agree with you to an extent. You can get close, lets say 95%, for the sake of argument, but that extra 5% I have not heard in a Historic.

Nevertheless, I love the tone Ed's getting in those clips.

cheers,
    dre

Found it! Allman Brothers backline.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude, just wanted to point out to the OP that the clips were not done with a Historic.

I do agree with you to an extent. You can get close, lets say 95%, for the sake of argument, but that extra 5% I have not heard in a Historic.

I was listening to Ed's "Stormy Monday" cover solo and waited for that similar "honk" as mentioned at the 4.44 mark in the "Fillmore East-Story Monday" link mentioned above. I didn't hear it and wasn't expecting it due to the fact that all the variables mentioned earlier (by other members) need to be lined-up in order for it to happen. But man-o-man can Ed play!

Quote Originally Posted by electricwally View Post
    Found it! Allman Brothers backline.

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    I know what you speak of.. there are a couple of things to know. Duane only used JBL's in his Fender Twin. His cabs used a combination of Celestion Bass speakers-30 watters and Cerwin-Vega(just known as Vega's at that time) ER-123's. His Marshall Bass heads (model #1986) used 6CA7 tube's most of the time which sound very different from Mullard EL-34's. Duane also used Fender "Rock`n Roll Strings" #150.
    Dickey was the only one that used JBL D-120's for every show. Duane would on occasion, use one of Dickey's cabinets, but that was more common in the early days.
    The pickups in the Cherryburst (which was the only guitar Duane used on the Fillmore LP) were rewound while he still owned the Goldtop.
    So take all this into consideration..
    Don, Real American big bottle 6CA7 power tubes didn't exist until 1970 or a little later so Duane could have only used them for about a year before he died. Anything else prior labeled as a 6CA7 would still be a European tube of some kind.

No prob at all, and you make a good point. there are definitely differences that I've heard in straight comparisons.

cheers,
    dre
    It always seems to me that new instruments/pickups/amps all sound a bit 'stiff' when new, especially in direct comparisons. In a lot of ways, I might put it even more than 5% as I think that last bit is where the 'feedback' really blooms, if that makes any sense. But I don't think it's 'unapproachable' with new instruments. Maybe you have to work a little harder at it....as if we didn't have to work hard enough to sound like Duane, right?

By the way, there's a Vid/Thread I posted in the Vintage section of Vince Gill playing Duane's Goldtop at a gig in Macon, GA. Although I'm not crazy about the song, he gets some real nice sounds out of it during the solo.

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

Quote Originally Posted by markguitar View Post
    Don, Real American big bottle 6CA7 power tubes didn't exist until 1970 or a little later so Duane could have only used them for about a year before he died. Anything else prior labeled as a 6CA7 would still be a European tube of some kind.
    Mark; Hi! Yes, I'm well aware of that. I was going by what Joe Dan and Reddog have told me years ago. Basically what the story is was that they needed some output tubes for Duane's amps and were sold those at an electronics shop. Duane liked them and insisted that Joe Dan get those next time they needed to retube his amps.
    Here's another tid bit for everyone.. In the early days their monitors weren't very good. So what the guys would do would be to setup one of Berry's bass cabs between Duane and Gregg's rigs and one of Dickey's next to Duane's and one of Duane's next to Berry's rig. Now this is the early, early days like '69 & part of 1970. Around Summer of '70 they went to the classic line-up that we normally see. But these behind the band setups are from '69 with the open back Marshall cabs. The open backs spread out the sound especially if there's a wall behind them. They use to experiment a lot in those early days with cabs & setups to see what worked so everyone could hear.

Les Paul Forum Member bluesforstevie's Avatar

Mark; Hi! Yes, I'm well aware of that. I was going by what Joe Dan and Reddog have told me years ago. Basically what the story is was that they needed some output tubes for Duane's amps and were sold those at an electronics shop. Duane liked them and insisted that Joe Dan get those next time they needed to retube his amps.
    Here's another tid bit for everyone.. In the early days their monitors weren't very good. So what the guys would do would be to setup one of Berry's bass cabs between Duane and Gregg's rigs and one of Dickey's next to Duane's and one of Duane's next to Berry's rig. Now this is the early, early days like '69 & part of 1970. Around Summer of '70 they went to the classic line-up that we normally see. But these behind the band setups are from '69 with the open back Marshall cabs. The open backs spread out the sound especially if there's a wall behind them. They use to experiment a lot in those early days with cabs & setups to see what worked so everyone could hear.
    Yeah, I have never seen any pics of said Cerwin Vegas, but I have seen pics of Duane with JBL's. I have also seen one of Duanes heads at Silver Strings Music in St. Louis and it had Mullard EL34's in it I am pretty pos. Certainly not big bottled Sylvania's which I don't think were utilized until mid to late 70's.

TM1, yes, you can clearly see that in the backline photo. Bass cabs were spread out. Love looking at that Twin Reverb, it's already missing its upper back tube protector panel. Unless it was removed on purpose. I believe that was a silverface twin.

Sounds like a picking thing to me. I think he's picking somewhere over the neck pickup (edit: he's almost right up to the fretboard there) and happens to hit a pinched harmonic with the back of his thumb on that low note (D string, 10th fret) that rings out equally in both the higher and original register.

His rig does really brings out those harmonics, but without the picking technique you're not going to find that note.

Les Paul Forum Member

I strongly suspect that if Duane were here, he'd find this discussion amusing to say the least. He probably thought that "honk" note was a flub.

Les Paul Forum Member mistersnappy's Avatar

Yes! Also, the Leslies: One behind Gregg and another on stage left by Butch. Look on the inside of Anthology Vol. 2. Course, thats '71...
    That '71 set up is sick. They'd found a classic setup fo' sho'.
    "That's what I love, man, to hear that backbeat popping, that damn bass plonkin' down. Jesus God!"-Duane Allman

Outstanding! That Blues Jr. clip is sick b/c it just goes to show you, in the right hands, you can get stellar tone w/o spending alot on an amp.
    "That's what I love, man, to hear that backbeat popping, that damn bass plonkin' down. Jesus God!"-Duane Allman

Amazing!
    Wildwood Spec Les Paul R8
    Tungsten Crema Wheat

Like guys on here, I've been fascinated with Duane's tone on that album for 40 years. It has been my 'de facto' tone to aim for (never got it!). I could talk for days on the subject (most of it nonsense but I just love everything about it!).

One thing I can say having read extensively on the subject, nothing was by accident. Duane was meticulous to the last in achieving his tone. We're talking swapping valves in his amp, swapping his amp for another one the 'same' because it was slightly better, that kind of thing.

Regarding his speakers, it seems he was looking for a tone that was midway between Dickey's Fender driven JBL D-120s with their bright, sweet metalic ring, and the classic Marshall/Celestion 4x12 sound. So, as already described, he took a Marshall 4x12 cab, partially opened up the back (broader, more open sound with slightly less thump), and he fitted Cerwin Vega ER123 speakers. These - again, are like a cross between an ali coned JBL and a Celestion. And that's the sound we're talking about. It seems he preferred the crunchier sound of the overdriven Marshall to the cleaner Fender amp. Also, when pushed hard, EL output valves tend to compress a little in the bass (improving lead clarity) and become rich in sweet harmonics in the mid range. 6L6 type valves tend not to break up so much (less crunchy) and also go somewhat flubby in the bass.

The nearest I ever got was using a Marshall 1987 (50W) amp (like Duane's) with a Marshall 4x12 with GH30s and by using a graphic to peak the mid range kinda like a wah in the mid range position but not so pronounced.

But saying all that, Dickey's sound on his solos is wonderful too. So, add the two together and you have blues lead guitar jousting the likes of which no two players have ever achieved since - in my opinion.

Did someone say there was a copy of that Cerwin Vega speaker being made? If not on here, I seem to recall that was the case.

Edit: I'm not sure, but I seem to recall that only two of the Celestions were changed for Cerwin Vegas in Duane's cab. All this stuff is on the net if you trawl long enough and hard enough. Like I did years ago to find it. And I think some of it came from an Allman's roadie/tech of the time.

2nd Edit: a quick search found this: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/arc.../t-960042.html
    Last edited by steve(UK); 06-12-13 at 12:10 PM.

Here's the Weber copy of that Cerwin Vega ER123: https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/

It's under the 'High Power Series' and it's a CV123F

I don't know what gear "Warren" was using completely, but the solo he does on "Towering Fool" off the "DOSE" album is a PEACH in both sound and technic, etc.
    I got to see it live through the "Soldano" on that tour and it looked like a Historic......

Opportunity knocks
    Karma hunts you down

Steve, lots of great info. Thank you. It would be interesting if someone could amass all the components of Duane's rig that you and others have listed combined with a historic LP and see if that woody/throaty/dry/honk/harmonica-like/bark could be duplicated (to some extent).

Clearly Duane's touch was a critical component (obviously) that must be taken into consideration. Thus if the quest is even achievable is another question. Just a thought.

The "honk" on that mentioned note is something I've always looked forward to hearing when spinning the Fillmore East album over the many decades.

I remember back in the day I wanted that "honk" sound so bad I figured that I needed an original pair of 1950's PAF pickups in my Les Paul. I eventually "signed-on" to the "Guitar Trader '59 Flametop" that was offered by the owner of "Guitar Trader" in Red Bank, NJ USA (owner was Dave Deforrest). I was one of the "earliest" depositors and was guaranteed original 1950's PAF pickups in my reissue'59 burst as part of the offer. I eventually backed-out of the deal. It is my most painful "lost guitar story" and we all have a few. I lived about a half hour's drive from his store. Guitar Trader was my favorite (and always will be) "guitar only" store.

Steve, had the Jensen speakers in my blackface twin reconed by Weber years ago. Spoke to "Ted" on the phone quite a few times. What a wonderful guy. May he rest in peace.

Les Paul Forum Member bluesforstevie's Avatar

This does have Duane tone to it for sure...A Cerwin Vega and Scumnico in an Avatar 2 x12...Pretty convincing DA slide tone!!!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...howPlayer=true

Quote Originally Posted by bluesforstevie View Post
    This does have Duane tone to it for sure...A Cerwin Vega and Scumnico in an Avatar 2 x12...Pretty convincing DA slide tone!!!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...howPlayer=true
    Dan,
    That's really nice. Do you know the amp?

dre

Edit: Nevermind, I found it.

Quote Originally Posted by electricwally View Post
    Steve, lots of great info. Thank you. It would be interesting if someone could amass all the components of Duane's rig that you and others have listed combined with a historic LP and see if that woody/throaty/dry/honk/harmonica-like/bark could be duplicated (to some extent).

Clearly Duane's touch was a critical component (obviously) that must be taken into consideration. Thus if the quest is even achievable is another question. Just a thought.

The "honk" on that mentioned note is something I've always looked forward to hearing when spinning the Fillmore East album over the many decades.

I remember back in the day I wanted that "honk" sound so bad I figured that I needed an original pair of 1950's PAF pickups in my Les Paul. I eventually "signed-on" to the "Guitar Trader '59 Flametop" that was offered by the owner of "Guitar Trader" in Red Bank, NJ USA (owner was Dave Deforrest). I was one of the "earliest" depositors and was guaranteed original 1950's PAF pickups in my reissue'59 burst as part of the offer. I eventually backed-out of the deal. It is my most painful "lost guitar story" and we all have a few. I lived about a half hour's drive from his store. Guitar Trader was my favorite (and always will be) "guitar only" store.
    Oh.. nostalgia.. In the 70s I used to have the Guitar Trader flyer sent to me in England. There were bursts for what, $1200? I could never afford one then and of course now, the shining star is even further from my outstretched fingers..

But back to practicalities. There are many links in Duane's 'tone chain'. All of them count. But singularly, if you use a good graphic (not a toy 5 band one) and apply boost around 800Hz, it will give you a nasal honk. And THAT goes a long way to achieving Duane's - and indeed many of the 70s blues/rock players - tone. Note, of course Duane didn't use a graphic, this is a kinda short cut to getting that tone. I suspect, with Duane's rig, there was a lot of mid boost around the 800hz region going on in each element (the guitar, amp, speakers, tone settings etc), that added together gave that mid boosted, honky, woody tone. It's just so organic and expressive. Nirvana..

It is well documented that Duane wrapped his strings around and over the top of the stop tailpiece. I believe doing so also changed the string angle from tailpiece to bridge. Any thoughts if this contributed to his tone or simply made the strings easier to bend?

Edit: I did read that Duane wrapped his strings over the tailpiece to send more of the string vibration to the body. I have a few old copies of "Guitar Player" magazine and believe this is where I read this claim. Still looking. Not sure just how much of the string actually vibrates over the tailpiece when installed in this fashion. I also saw a picture of Duane playing his SG with the strings installed the standard way (through the tailpiece as normal).
    Last edited by electricwally; 06-12-13 at 05:07 PM.

This is interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1oV87EkkMo

I haven't tried it yet myself as I haven't used a pick in over a decade and keep forgetting to give this a try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast