• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Show the love...post your SG's

frazettafan

I see you have a No.1 strap. Do you know Thomas Welbier? If you do send him my best regards-great guy!

No - who is he, Elliot? Did he design the thing? They are great straps and seem to help with the sg junior's slight neck-heavyness.

Old crow

My restored by RS, 64.

IMG_4101_zpsb2a2f35b.jpg

Cussion

Got this 2002 SG Standard yesterday, upgraded with great sounding Skatterbrane Yangbranes pickups.
Been playing some 1967 era Cream / Clapton and some 'Get yer ya ya's out' Stones / MT lately, and it really nails it!

1471929_10202809942073304_1822725175_n.jpg

EFLOW

My SG number 1 is a Standard Ltd it sounds very hot.It was made for the second Millenium, stock ABR-1 bridge

2000_l10.jpg

img_0010.jpg

Last edited:

Ad_02Std

Hey guys, I used to have an SG special. Had a Bigsby which I eventually took off and was able to use the stop tailpiece as a wrap/stop because it had compensated string slots on it. This guitar had a big pick guard but I remembered it as a '67...though everyone I talk to about it now...(the guitar is long gone), says it was a '68.

Look very close to the "Townsend SG" pictured above and previously in this thread.

Could it have been a '67? When did the bigger guard begin?

I don't think anybody actually answered you.

1967 was the first year for the large guard.

Here's my '67 Special:

Ad_02Std

I bought this 2001 "Made In USA" SG Junior on a whim from a local shop about 5 years ago. It was (relatively) cheap, and I wanted an SG. It has a great chunky neck and nice frets, but I always found it a little muddy and one dimensional plugged in. I used it as my travel guitar for a few years, practising and writing on it in hotel rooms whilst on business and on holiday. Other than that it sat in its case, unloved.

I advertised it for sale for a while, but about a year ago I did the '50s wiring mod on it, and spent a while adjusting the pickup and polepiece height, and it completely transformed the plugged in sound.

I don't know why, but this model was made with the slanted bridge studs, like an old Les Paul Junior, and supplied with a compensated bridge for the straight studs, as seen on the Townshend model. The two just don't go together. I had another compensated bridge left over from a project that was designed to intonate on the slanted studs, so put that on. I then fitted a set of old chrome '70s Grovers I had knocking around as the tuners that came fitted were pretty crappy, and I just love old Grovers.

It's now my favourite guitar. I use it for everything, from sitting strumming unplugged on the sofa, to wailing through the Marshall half-stack with my band and all points in between. It's become the guitar I judge all others by.

Last edited:

Kris Ford

I bought this 2001 "Made In USA" SG Junior on a whim from a local shop about 5 years ago. It was (relatively) cheap, and I wanted an SG. It has a great chunky neck and nice frets, but I always found it a little muddy and one dimensional plugged in. I used it as my travel guitar for a few years, practising and writing on it in hotel rooms whilst on business and on holiday. Other than that it sat in its case, unloved.

I advertised it for sale for a while, but about a year ago I did the '50s wiring mod on it, and spent a while adjusting the pickup and polepiece height, and it completely transformed the plugged in sound.

I don't know why, but this model was made with the slanted bridge studs, like an old Les Paul Junior, and supplied with a compensated bridge for the straight studs, as seen on the Townshend model. The two just don't go together. I had another compensated bridge left over from a project that was designed to intonate on the slanted studs, so put that on. I then fitted a set of old chrome '70s Grovers I had knocking around as the tuners that came fitted were pretty crappy, and I just love old Grovers.

It's now my favourite guitar. I use it for everything, from sitting strumming unplugged on the sofa, to wailing through the Marshall half-stack with my band and all points in between. It's become the guitar I judge all others by.

I had one of those as well..I loved mine, but sold it..:dang