• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Show the love...post your SG's

Kevin James

vintagesg.net aye....watching with interest.

Just an idea that I've been kicking around for a while based on how often I get contacted by people asking for opinions/advise on old SG's. We'll see if it goes anywhere...

Last edited:

garywright

Early '64, bastardised by a previous owner. I'm in the middle of restoring it.

sgjr15.jpg

Stu ...have you made any further progress with this one ?

Stu

Stu ...have you made any further progress with this one ?

No, I haven't had the time. I didn't really get into it properly until last summer. I plugged the reamed out tuner holes and redrilled for Klusons, re-radiused the fretboard, refretted it and set about refinishing it. I didn't bother fixing the pickup rout because the dogear covers it. Oh yeah, I've made a pickguard too - thanks for the template. :salude

Here's a reminder of how it was when I got it: white refin over cherry, fretboard planed almost flat, Bill Lawrence humbucker, ugly Schaller bridge, Schaller machine heads... first thing I did was dump the HB for a P-90.

sg.jpg

garywright

I've made a pickguard too - thanks for the template. :salude
Stu ...I think you might have meant Dan ( danelectro ) ...btw, please some pix of your junior when you have it completed :jim

Stu

I though it was you... it's been a while though. I just checked and the note on the tracing says "regards, Gary". :hmm

EFLOW

My new SG Standard Custom with Ebony fretboard, I love the Gibson TP-6. Neck is a little more thicker on the Ivory SG.

gibson64.jpg

Last edited:

Sea Bass

I'll play. I don't think I've ever posted pics of my SG. Just a lowly SG Standard USA model in Heritage Cherry. From 1997. Love the attack and growl that this has over the smoother LP tones. Great contrast without feeling like drastically different guitars.

13883418039_0eea734509_b.jpg

14046914846_db201ba1a1_b.jpg

14070487274_a89b0a6894_b.jpg

garywright

My '63, less the E string...

photo-8_zpsb22b0894.jpg

cool looking junior :salude ...if that paint is original and you don't mind removing the pickguard would you please snap a clear shot of the top of the tenon ...i've seen a fair amount of custom colored 60s juniors but never one with the guard removed and am wondering how Gibson prepped the tenon area... thanx

ZZ Not

I've had a fair number of SG's over the years. Looking back at old photos and remembering, I wonder why I let some of them go.

Here is the current crop.

L-R '74 Std., '13 Original, and '70 Special in Walnut.

Last edited:

Kris Ford

I've had a fair number of SG's over the years. Looking back at old photos and remembering, I wonder why I let some of them go.

Here is the current crop.

L-R '71 Std., '13 Original, and '70 Special in Walnut.
Sweet! However..the first one on the left isn't a '71..more like '74-'75, but very cool none the less..I own a '76..

A '71 Standard would still have the large guard, trapezoid inlays, shallow cutaway bevels, etc..a '71 Deluxe would have had the front mounted control plate, LP style pickguard, but was first to have 335 style MOP block inlays from the first fret on...sorry to say yours is a mid/late 74-early '75..the ebony board is also indicative of those years as well.:yah
Dig this timeline I've been working on at the SG forum..:salude
http://www.everythingsg.com/forum/gibson-sg/23055-70-sg-standard-73-sg-standard-timeline.html

ZZ Not

Thanks for that, Kris. I always struggled with dating that one accurately. Just looked at the pots which show a date code of 1377430, putting it as mid '74.

Kris Ford

Thanks for that, Kris. I always struggled with dating that one accurately. Just looked at the pots which show a date code of 1377430, putting it as mid '74.
Damn I'm good LOL..Naw really man, you are welcome! I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything, hope you didn't think that.:salude
I love the hell out of mine..Norlin or not..I did build new harness for mine using very tightly spec'd CTS 500K audio taper pots, but reused the stock Sprague Cera-mite caps..not too bad of a job I s'pose..and way more useful than the 300K linear volume and 100K linear tone..:bigal

Mine also has a BB1/498T pickup combo (until I can find a CLEAN set of Tarbacks...maybe..sounds absolutely killer with this config..) Just with every other Gibson pickup, the Tarbacks really shine with 500K pots..Food for thought ZZ..no worries about pulling yours and trying 500K...really turned mine into a flamethrowing Historic killer..:yah

garywright

cool looking junior :salude ...if that paint is original and you don't mind removing the pickguard would you please snap a clear shot of the top of the tenon ...i've seen a fair amount of custom colored 60s juniors but never one with the guard removed and am wondering how Gibson prepped the tenon area... thanx

Bump ...Three13..you out there ?