• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Show the love...post your SG's

Nobi

Nothing fancy, its an early 90s SG Special with ebony board.
modded with a pair of P100s and had a neck break a couple years ago

PHILBERT

I like all my guitars for different reasons. Tone, looks and play... However, the SG caught my eye back in the 70's as the most cool looking guitar ever made, and I still feel that way. It was the guitar that had everything I wanted back then. I wanted a '65, as I believe that was the best year they ever made them. It never happened for me (kid with no money). So the best I could do was a '68, but that had to be sold for food and rent. Now I have been trying to get as close to my dream guitar as possible, so I have been upgrading this 'so-called' 61 RI to look more like a 64/65 spec SG. Other than the wide pointy headstock, I think it looks pretty close now. At least I enjoy looking at it now with the hardware changes I did. What a difference over the stock hardware! The neck joint is period correct, and it sounds like a tone monster crunch guitar. It is a keeper, so I am willing to work at it to satisfy me SG wants.

I have mine on a stand where I see it the moment I wake, and even right now it is stunning to look at as the morning sunrays start to illuminate parts of the body. My camera washes out on the bright red, so it is hard to capture, but those of you who have these know what I'm talking about. The darker wine red with the brighter sunlit red, plus the white bound black pickguard contrast on the curvy body, is all stunning. I keep glancing at it throughout the day. But I do like chrome hardware over nickel, as it stays bright, clean and reflective. If I can ever "fix" the headstock and tuners, and maybe put a Braz board with the correct frets and inlays, It would be near perfect to me...at least as close as this RI could ever be.

mysgvintagechromecovers.jpg

lanman

Man, your '61 is friggin awesome! I don't think I have seen one with such a stout/blocky body from this era. Really nice/unique guitar!

That was one thing that I noticed in playing and collecting my early SG's. They were almost "experimental" / individually hand-carved almosts as if no two were exactly alike. The body width, heel variations, horn shapes and degree of sanding/shaping is across the board.

lanman

'65 SG Special with uh...a few mods.
sg_med.jpg

Man, I would love to give this guitar a twirl. REALLY nice looking guitar! I recently picked up a BFG because of this pickup combination. I bet it sounds great!

L

loufed52

Early '65 ('64 spec) Standard:

DCP_0420.jpg

'68 Special:

DCP_2600-1.jpg

'69 Standard:

DCP_0013.jpg

2006 '61 RI w/Vibrola:

DCP_2655.jpg

'67 Melody Maker:

DCP_2689.jpg

I've owned so many more I couldn't post pictures of them here even if I had them.

Last edited:

mbowen

Rare SG Special in TV Yellow i used to have with a 1957 Goldtop,Mike B.

young angus

<<<< My Les Paul-SG Standard 1961 in my avatar. Left the factory March 26th 1961, according to Gibson. Have had it since 1976, it´s in perfect shape, and I play it every day.

lanman

Here's my '69 Special in action! I just had it refretted, and it plays and sounds amazing.

998268_10151635408152557_645875954_n.jpg

Nice color! Not that '69 burgandy color you tend to see, but a nice deeper cherry & a good looking board. F'n sweet! Big chunky neck?

latestarter

It's interesting...I've been trawling eBay and prices for SG Specials are often way outta the reality ball park - I wonder what the sellers are thinking...or if indeed they really want to sell their guitar?

Actually, there are many examples of this across all brands and models...but I've been SG hunting recently so have a pretty good idea of what's around in the public arena. Still amazed at the bigger names not wanting my cash...thankfully their lack of responses has allowed me to do something very different which I'll share with you in in due course.

Now a pic - love this shot from Premier Guitar.

Image.ashx

Last edited:

Kevin James

I was just reading an old article and just learned something extremely cool about my 62. It is under 10 serial numbers away from Frank Marino's 62 Ebony Block he calls "old faithfull". His is listed just a few guitars above mine on the same page of the shipping ledger.

Totally meaningless fact, but cool none the less so I thought I'd share it :)

Here is his

And mine less than 10 numbers away

latestarter

That is a cool fact...I note his has the standard mini Vibrola whereas Ebony Blocks normally have the shortened long base (if you get my drift).