• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Vintage Goldtop Finish Work

KBarry

Who does the best vintage goldtop refinish work?
I've got a 57 that has a bad burst on it and I want to get it refinished.
Who does the best most authentic work, including aged plastic?

ChevChelios

My vote goes to Historic Makeovers ...

10.26.12%20070.jpg

... or Dave Johnson ...
DJ54goldtop.jpg

FlamingTop

IMHO, Dave Johnson is gold! If I could get a top only refin to my conversion, he would be my choice...

The Stumble

In my opinion I would go to Kim at historic makeovers, not only would you get a great authentic gold with as much as aging as you desired you would also get the work done in a reasonable time

MapleFlame

One and Only Dave Johnson. How bout a picture of the 57 as it currently stands

SheltonGuitar

Nothing against Joel's work at all, and maybe it's just the lighting and/or camera settings, but the gold on the refin looks a little off compared to what was under the 3-way cover...

1953-Les-Paul-4.jpg

1953-Les-Paul-27.jpg

Vintage1

Scott Lentz in San Marcos, CA does outstanding *old-Gibson*
gold top finishes.

blauserk

+1 for HM. Beautiful, authentic goldtop finishes, delivered in a timely fashion.

ChevChelios

Actually, everybody who could paint a guitar with the ReRanch lacquer can do the paint job ... it gets kind of tricky when "distressing" is on the menu, too.
Here's a little conversion I painted with the ReRanch Gold and it turned out really nicely.

Stoj

My vote goes to HM, Dave Johnson or Scott Lentz there refins are outstanding :salude

moonweasel

DJ, HM, RS, then the rest.

That's the order of operations for me. If the guitar is a lifetime keeper, then the amount of time it takes to get the guitar isn't going to matter to me.

SheltonGuitar

...FWIW Kim was one of the first (along with DJ I believe) who started regularly using the correct powder...
FWIW, nope. I can't remember their names right now (dammit), but there were a few finish guys using the right gold back in the 60's & 70's. They probably got their powder straight from Gibson or their original supplier back then, who knows? And Dave was shooting his gold before HM even existed.

For a vintage correct gold refin nowadays, KBarry, go with a shop that has:
(1) a history of high quality work on vintage Gibsons
(2) a proven track record of high resale value

jimmi

Didn't Kim and Dave work together for a while? I know that Kim is turning out some great work over the last couple years. Would think either him or Dave would be a good bet.

You also can send your guitar to Gibson repair. I have had them do work for me in the past and it turned out well. Never had them do finish work though I admit.

SheltonGuitar

Didn't Kim and Dave work together for a while?...
HM initially contracted to Dave to do all the guitar work out of his Olympia shop. HM now uses a group of people in Florida for all the work. Last I'd heard, Kip Elder was spraying HM's finishes.

jimmi

I actually talked to Dave about doing some work for me. Asked about the historic makeover business and he said he will not do it anymore because of issues with the fretboards. Kim and RS are the best ones that I know of still doing it. Lays of Akron quoted me a price as did a shop out near Toledo (Jim's?) but they have a 2 yr wait,

Kim has a 4 mo wait and has it down to a science at a least with the makeovers. Good turnover and good product. Hard to beat right now IMHO. I think the refinish on a 50s should be pretty accurate as well.