• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Love ES's

OKGuitar

Also noted another difference between the two Epiphone Sheratons.....

The guitar on the left in your photo has a bridge pickup that is turned around 180 degrees so that the pole pieces are closer to the neck. This may or may not be the original condition of the pickups, but clearly the guitar on the right does not have the bridge pickup rotated 180 degrees.

That's all of them. Very observant bunch. I didn't notice the upside down pickup for at least a week after I got the guitar.

musekatcher

Just joined the club with a 65/66 ES-330. Delightful to play, hold and stroke. All original save the tuners and headstock repair mod (they should just break and repair at the factory and save us the trouble). I'd post an image if I could.

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
Hey Steve, question please?.....your 345 sound any different from what you thought you'd hear when you got her or it was totally another beast with all the set up and tweaking if there was one ever needed?:hmm

I've heard that some old vintage sounded better as it was with same type of gauge strings and set up untouched and then you get some that tweaks and sets them up to their liking and gauge of strings and all that sounded even way better or maybe the opposite so they try to bring it back to original state. Dunno as i haven't own a vintage piece before , although I almost did and missed out on a mint '61 SG Custom.:dang

When I got it, the strings were SIT (Stay In Tune), and they certainly did NOT live up to their name. They sounded fine, but I was worried about if tuning would be an issue. I installed a set of Ernie Ball Cobalts and the guitar stayed in tune better and tone is explosive. I'm not that concerned about originality in strings, I just use what I like. But, I can say without reservation, I love this guitar!

Trans-Am

Thanks for the reply Steve! That is fine 345 you got there. Sure looks like you been playing it since it's first birth:dude:

I haven/t dabbled in Vintage instruments as of late, but my one miss that wasn't meant to be was an original 1961 SG Custom all stock.:dang
The more I lurk in the vintage area the more I am super drawn in to the history and vibe. One day!:hmm

stilwel

Thread revival:

1995 Epiphone Riviera with '57 Classic/+ pickups and Bigsby B7
2018 Epiphone Bonamassa ES-355 with '57 Classics and Bigsby B7
2012 Gibson Luther Dickinson ES-335

3nePlnp.jpg

Last edited:

Keefoman

When there's not much else to do during the weekends nowadays, I did a little video with my ES. :)

marshall1987

Cherry 335 TDCs.....1967 (L); and early 1965 (R). The '65 is minty clean, & has a 1 -11/16" nut width, all nickel hardware/pickup covers, 17 degree headstock w/ high crown inlay, '64 neck profile, pots date to 2nd week of '65, Brazilian rosewood fingerboard, OHSC, hangtags, serial # 324xxx.

Last edited:

Minibucker

Sweet. Have you done measurements on the '65 neck? Trapeze ES-335's sound really cool.

marshall1987

Sweet. Have you done measurements on the '65 neck? Trapeze ES-335's sound really cool.

Thanks...I have to agree.

Neck measurements....the neck profile on my early '65 (January-February) is around 0.83" at the 1st fret, and very beefy at the 12th.

Last edited:

P-Nutz

My first ES ...

... was a '70 335 TD that I bought used in '79 w/HSC for $450 ... I was 18 ... traded it 10-15 years ago for a new LP Doublecut for me and an EB 0 bass for Ms. Nutz when it developed a headstock smile ... spent that time (and 150+ guitars) trying to find the magic I could afford ... settled on a 2012 ES 137, which I love, 'tho I've split out the pickups with some SDs for some '70s funk ...

lare65

Beautiful, thats an interesting picture!! How do those two compare??

The `60 has more mids and bite. The bridge pu is the best I´ve heard. The `79 (with OX4 pu´s) is more open sounding and has a beefier neck. I like them both.:)

EdmundGTP

My two dots. A modified `79, converted to abr-1, and one early `60 with transitional neck and zebras.

That '60 is drool-worthy for sure. Bucket list guitar for me.

In the meantime I'm making due with this '69 and an '82.

ujtMqDx.jpg

zQRkV9a.jpg