NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Re: The Big Al Good Mojo thread

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    OMG those are just beautiful. So so nice. I'd love to wind those puppies up on a blackface Super Reverb. Yeeouch!!!
    Like this one?Mike B.

Quote Originally Posted by mbowen View Post
    Like this one?Mike B.
    Yes please.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Yes please.
    Big Al when you feel better you can stop anytime you are near Pittsburgh and play the guitars thru the Super,a standing invitation .Mike B.

Here's a pairing that I could not live without...

Stop by and get reacquainted with The all NEW Fender Forum

Nice Kenny.

Here's a pairing I quite enjoy.

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL361/492960/654288/74983208.jpg

Very nice, brothers. I don't know if you'll rememder but back when, I was a rather vocal champion of all things P90. I just love the tactile, touch sensitivity and lively expressive tone and feel of single coil pickups.

Ken that Goldtop is tits!!! I had a 54 that was as clean and nice as that reissue, Steve Craw may remember it. I swear, of ALL the vintage Les Pauls I've owned, including the two Bursts, that is the one I miss most and regret selling. Well that and my exceptional 57 Jr.

SFK I see you get it. NICE! Does your Jr have the rounded 50's neck, or that killer wide/flat 60's?

Ooops! Double post.

Thanks Al! It's a reissue so its a big ol neck.

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL361/492960/654288/74983208.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SFK View Post
    Nice Kenny.

Here's a pairing I quite enjoy.

KILLER!!! Good to hear from you, my brother... It's been awhile...

Ken that Goldtop is tits!!! I had a 54 that was as clean and nice as that reissue, Steve Craw may remember it. I swear, of ALL the vintage Les Pauls I've owned, including the two Bursts, that is the one I miss most and regret selling. Well that and my exceptional 57 Jr.
    Thanks Big Al... There's just something about the feel of wraptail that works for me in a huge way...

...and I sure wouldn't mind owning a vintage Jr...

Taking the wattage down a bit,, but keeping the tone grade A.

Last edited by Mitchell; 06-12-13 at 11:58 AM.

Opportunity knocks
    Karma hunts you down

Les Paul Forum Member gibson-r8's Avatar

Ah, lets go norlin again..

I think I finally got my Photobucket issues worked out. Big Al, I wish i had some P-90's to share, but maybe these will do.

78 Les Paul Recording

Quote Originally Posted by gibson-r8 View Post

Ah, lets go norlin again..

I think I finally got my Photobucket issues worked out. Big Al, I wish i had some P-90's to share, but maybe these will do.
    That is quite alright because It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy seeing Black Beauties and what appear to be Fender tweed type ampage. And you must know how much I truly dig on the Les Paul Recording model. Very cool, and in BLACK!!!

That is quite alright because It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy seeing Black Beauties and what appear to be Fender tweed type ampage. And you must know how much I truly dig on the Les Paul Recording model. Very cool, and in BLACK!!!
    not black, its one of the walnut finish Recording models, 1978 version. The amps are indeed tweed.. Austin Amplifier (in my first iteration cabinets) 5F2A (tweed Princeton) clones. Working class guitars and amplifiers. How is the wing today Al?

78 Les Paul Recording

Did someone say P-90's Big Al ? Mike B.

Quote Originally Posted by gibson-r8 View Post
    not black, its one of the walnut finish Recording models, 1978 version. The amps are indeed tweed.. Austin Amplifier (in my first iteration cabinets) 5F2A (tweed Princeton) clones. Working class guitars and amplifiers. How is the wing today Al?
    The wing has been pretty sore this week. Radiation, so far has done little to ease the pain and discomfort. The pain can be severe. I have been very bummed this week as it has been a month now since surgery and I had hoped to feel better by now

The Orthapedic Oncologist says the cancer is under control, but my shoulder has been ruined, and now they seem worried that I will regain much function. My rotator cuff has been destroyed. The cancer ate much of it and they had to cut away what little remained, to get to the head of my humerus to drill out and remove the big tumor and insert the rod and screws.

I can not live with this pain. I can't sleep, I can't do anything, I'm never going to be the man I was. If I can get a handle on the pain I'd feel much better.

Still I need to be patient. This is gonna be long and slow.

Today was my birthday. 58. That means 40 years ago I was just turning 18. Where did those four decades go?

Les Paul Forum Member kharrison's Avatar

Hang in there Big Al. Some positive vibes coming your way. It will get better.

Happy Birthday Al! I'm 59, and although any set-backs I've had so far have been relatively small, things take longer to heal now than they used to but they do heal. Everything else speeds right along though, you got that right.

Keep the faith!
    If I Told You All That Went Down It Would Burn Off Both Of Your Ears

Today was my birthday. 58. That means 40 years ago I was just turning 18. Where did those four decades go?
    I was telling my wife the other day it's hard to grasp the fact that my high school graduation will soon be 40 years in the past. WTF indeed! How is that possible?

I don't think "Happy Birthday" has the right ring to it under these circumstances, Al, but I pray you'll soon turn a corner in this painful recovery process. Wishing you a MUCH HAPPIER 59th in advance! Your discomfort does not come through in your posts at all--they're crystal clear. I had hoped you were feeling as good as you come across online.
    If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote Originally Posted by kharrison View Post
    Hang in there Big Al. Some positive vibes coming your way. It will get better.
    Let me tell ya something Brothers, it is one of the reasons I love this place. I got a package from a forum bro who was trying to give me a lift. I come home after radiation, and I'm not happy. Today's been tough and maybe because it was my birthday I just was feeling sad and down.

WTF is this. A bunch of cool things from a forum bro who wanted to lift my spirits. A man I never met and don't know sent some goodies to cheer me up and on. I was humbled. Some caps I like to get my kinda tone, some very cool tubes. Old octal preamp tubes I need for my ancient Stromberg and Carlson amps, as well as others I needed. What looks to be a hawk feather, how did he know I'm an outdoorsman and naturalist???

But this is where it got trancendent. A CD with Big Al written on it. I decided to take a drive along the lakeshore on the Lake Ontario Parkway. I do this alot, to think, move nesting turtles off the road and just enjoy the beauty. I popped in the CD not knowing what to expect and recognised an old Country blues, then another. Old friends I was familure with. More, electric blusewailing. Cool a blues mix, do the same, this guys shares a love of the same blues as me.

Then Hendrix and Page, Marshall Tucker AMERICANA!! Roots music and their modern decendants, Rockin Pat Travers and Heart.... all cool eclectic mix of American Roots Music. I allmost cried because I know somehow there is a deep connection here. The music, what an absolutely wondrous gift to share.

All Access/Backstage Pass Progrocker111's Avatar
    small country full of nice women and good beer

WTF is this. A bunch of cool things from a forum bro who wanted to lift my spirits. A man I never met and don't know sent some goodies to cheer me up and on. I was humbled.
    Thats very kind and cool. Great to see such acts and great to know that there are still many kind and helpful humans.
    My diagnosis is: Hiwatt and Norlinphilia

2014 Gibson Les Paul Junior 1957 Custom Shop
    1972 Hiwatt DR103, 1972 Hiwatt SE4122

Hey Al! I don't spend much time on the forum, but I will say that many of your posts are what inspired me to join the forum in the first place when I lost my job a while back due to the economy. I just turned 59 myself, and like yourself, I wonder how the years have gone by so quickly. Perhaps most importantly, though, is that we've all been joined together here for our love of music (Les Pauls, too), but the love of music is indeed a universal gift that can truly be shared by each and every one of us worldwide. I've been in parts of the world where I've struggled terribly in communicating with others due to the various language barriers, but I still marvel in the fact that we can sit down together at the end of the day while playing some music that results in nothing but smiles and laughter. Some of us may disagree with one another from time to time, but there's just something magical and spiritual about playing music that sets our hearts free from much of the turmoil in the world. It's truly a wonderful feeling!

Speaking of the years going by quickly, I got my first Les Paul in 1970 when I was only 16, and I've been a Les Paul fanatic of sorts ever since.

I should've kept some of those old Les Pauls I've owned over the years, but here's what I have today. They're not as pretty as many we see here, but they're players, and that's all that really matters to me:

Wishing you the best! Hang in there, my friend!

Godspeed big Al....just some thoughts here.Not an expert and i could be wrong,but ideas are good.Cannabis has some potent pain relief qualities that does clearly works miracles for pain relief for a lot of people.Not as toxic as the opiates on the organs.Doesn't have to be smoked,can be cooked,might even be more effective cooked(longer acting).Can be prescribed,depending on your locality.Just to get over the rough spots.hope this helps.jr.
    2011 R8 VOS Cherry SB. (8 1756)
    2010 R8 VOS Cherry SB. (8 0009)
    LP Standard,Black(1987)
    LP Standard,AntiqueSB(1989)
    LP Standard,Wine(1990)
    LP Custom,Cherry SB.(1989)
    Timbucker and Seth Lover pickups
    Thru Vintage 4-hole Hiwatt DR103's/504's
    Marshalls and Fender's
    ONLY NOS tubes:Mullard,Phillips,Amperex,RCA,
    Sylvania,Siemens,GE,Brimar,Tesla(70's)
    Martin HD28(2010)
    Martin HD28V(2010)

A bunch of cool things from a forum bro who wanted to lift my spirits. A man I never met and don't know sent some goodies to cheer me up and on. I was humbled. Some caps I like to get my kinda tone, some very cool tubes. Old octal preamp tubes I need for my ancient Stromberg and Carlson amps, as well as others I needed. What looks to be a hawk feather, how did he know I'm an outdoorsman and naturalist???
    By the the description of the "goodies", I'm pretty sure I know exactly who that was... And if I'm right, I can tell you that he is an exceptional person...

Actually, even if I'm wrong, whomever it was is pretty damn special...

Les Paul Forum Member Cliff Gress's Avatar

Acts of kindness elevate us all. Happy Birthday Al. Hope your pain diminishes soon.

Happy birthday Big Al. Cool you got some loot. I'm really sorry to hear the arm isn't responding very well... At least your witticisms seem unaffected.

"I'm Yngwie J. Malmsteen... And I approve this message"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZxdjBXGHl8

https://youtu.be/9az1INihI2Y

Happy Birthday Al and hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by JTele View Post
    Hey Al! I don't spend much time on the forum, but I will say that many of your posts are what inspired me to join the forum in the first place when I lost my job a while back due to the economy. I just turned 59 myself, and like yourself, I wonder how the years have gone by so quickly. Perhaps most importantly, though, is that we've all been joined together here for our love of music (Les Pauls, too), but the love of music is indeed a universal gift that can truly be shared by each and every one of us worldwide. I've been in parts of the world where I've struggled terribly in communicating with others due to the various language barriers, but I still marvel in the fact that we can sit down together at the end of the day while playing some music that results in nothing but smiles and laughter. Some of us may disagree with one another from time to time, but there's just something magical and spiritual about playing music that sets our hearts free from much of the turmoil in the world. It's truly a wonderful feeling!

Speaking of the years going by quickly, I got my first Les Paul in 1970 when I was only 16, and I've been a Les Paul fanatic of sorts ever since.

I should've kept some of those old Les Pauls I've owned over the years, but here's what I have today. They're not as pretty as many we see here, but they're players, and that's all that really matters to me:

Wishing you the best! Hang in there, my friend!
    Yes EXACTLY BROTHER!!!!
    Music is the thing. The binding force and communal sonic dance. As cool as it is to receive gifts, and it is cool, it was the CD of Music that made the deeper impact, on me.

I love that photo of the younger you!!! Great collection. I think our generation was perfectly positioned to experience the Rock thang. I believe we posses a bigger more expansive outlook, because we lived through so much of it, at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by jrr View Post
    Godspeed big Al....just some thoughts here.Not an expert and i could be wrong,but ideas are good.Cannabis has some potent pain relief qualities that does clearly works miracles for pain relief for a lot of people.Not as toxic as the opiates on the organs.Doesn't have to be smoked,can be cooked,might even be more effective cooked(longer acting).Can be prescribed,depending on your locality.Just to get over the rough spots.hope this helps.jr.
    Yes it does. It has helped me greatly as an attitude adjuster and for pain relief. Un fortunately it is ill eagle here so I take a chance using it. The opiates and other chemical pain relievers are unpleasant for me and I try not to take them unless I'm in agony. I go for a walk and marvel at the beauty of where I live and the natural world and this helps me a lot more. Puffin on a brain dart while doing so, even better!

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    By the the description of the "goodies", I'm pretty sure I know exactly who that was... And if I'm right, I can tell you that he is an exceptional person...

Actually, even if I'm wrong, whomever it was is pretty damn special...

I would agree.

Happy Belated Birthday, Big Al! Didn't know that I was your elder by 9 months! Prayers flowing so that the pain subsides soon. Peace.
    Mike Slubowski

* "Gibson guitars are like potato chips - you can't have just one!"

* "So many Gibsons to love, so little time..."

Well hell Al. Sorry it isn't going better on such a day. I wish I had magic words and deeds but I'm a dry hole for that. Lots of us here admire and respect you for what you are, not what you have. And isn't it just like 'the man' to make illegal a natural herb that gives you some level of comfort and relief. The bastar#s.

Some nice folks here, we all wish we could help you through this and if a sympathetic ear helps out, well , you got our number.

78 Les Paul Recording

Les Paul Forum Member joemags54's Avatar

Happy Birthday Al.
    "Big time Bill. Big time. Big time.".... Ronnie Hawkins

Happy Birthday Big Al.

Happy B-Day big guy!

'02 Gibson LP '58 CA
    '03 Gibson Firebird CS Non-Reverse
    '05 Gibson LP '54
    '06 Gibson LP '58 VOS
    '12 Squier Bullet Strat
    '14 Squier '51
    '14 Epiphone Genesis Pro
    '92 Washburn D17SCE
    '70s Val Dez Classical
    5F1A Tweed
    V Series V1512
    #698 THD Univalve
    Crate V5 (OpAmp Mod)
    Crate V33 (SLO Mod)

Open your eyes, ears and mind.

Happy birthday Al Mike B.

Thoughts with you Al.

Glad you had a great birthday Al...

I hope ya all don't mind,, but I'm a critter lover and I wood like to share/post a little snapper story that happened to me a few years back for "Big Al".

It was a year of flooding and I was traveling to town on an old county road in the car and I seen this good sized snapper in the road, it looked hurt and wasn't moving, so I parked and put my flashers on and I noticed I was next to a large flood pond/sunken area 200 yards by 100yards that is full when it rains a lot and dry when it doesn't, so I imagine that this snapper was trying to get to it or to the field across the road to lay eggs when some azzwipe hit it on the road. When I approached, its eyes were wet like it had been crying or something from the stress of being run over? I approached carefully and all the sudden its head shot out about eight inches two or three times in the blink of an eye and all I heard was this loud "SNAP!" sound from its mouth, so I backed waay the fugg off, lol. This snapper was open for business!
    Thinking, I gotta help get this critter back in the water or some kids are gonna come along, hit it again and probally torture it to death, etc.
    First, I took out my camera and took quick some pics, then I figured that this snapper was too cagey to handle right side up and its claws were ready for swiping at me too.
    So I quick got around behind it and grabbed its tail and flipped it over so I could handle it. Along with some blood trickling out around the sides, I was "shocked" when I seen what was wrote on its underside!
    So I picked it up carefully by the tail (heavy) and placed it in the trunk and drove down near the water. Getting it out of the trunk was more difficult, as it was really pissed off now! Finally, I got its tail again and carried quickly as close as I could get without fallin in the the water/mud and swung it out into the pond. It stayed under and I assumed that it was in a much better/safer place now. I did a Google on snappers and the best way to handle them and the experts said that "not" to pick them up by their tails, as their tails are connected to their inner spine and due to their weight one can hurt/damage their spines that way. Well, I felt a little bad about not knowing that, but figured that it didn't mind too much since I got it back in the water, etc. Now days, the pond is dry and I haven't seen hide nor hair of the snapper since then, but I wont forget it..

Hava great weekend everybody!

Opportunity knocks
    Karma hunts you down

Cool story. Glad you saved Snappy

"I'm Yngwie J. Malmsteen... And I approve this message"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZxdjBXGHl8

https://youtu.be/9az1INihI2Y

A fellow Gemini (I'm June 21st)! Happy Birthday, Al!

No more radiation. All done for now. Residual effects for 6 weeks.
    Oncologist seemed OK with it so far, but pretty much guaranteed the Cancer would be back. No cure but may be able to treat. Wish the pain in my arm and shoulder would go away already ! Still glad to be alive. I just would like to play again. Long and slow. Like great BBQ my healing will be long and slow.