NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Re: The Big Al Good Mojo thread

Quote Originally Posted by tonyj View Post
    Big Al, never met you, don't know you, other than here on line, where I still get to enjoy your unique sense of occasion and humour along with your ability to say things just right.

Same with you Stock Hippie. An amazing individual and one who adds a dash of colour to this overcrowded grey rock we live on.

You guys are different to the rest of the herd, yet you don't take yourselves ultra seriously all the time, as many of the others do, and when you have something to say, it's usually worth listening to.

You guys are rare diamonds

Don't ever change guys!
    tonyj..Thanks..tony..Thats the sweetest post anybody ever wrote to me...!

Stock Hippy makes me laugh and I love his fearless indiduality and artists sensibilities . There is a goofy joy and lack of ill will or a hurtful demeanor to him that I greatly enjoy. I love the dudes music sensabilities and he is a snappy dresser to boot. Anyone who can push so many collective buttons is just fine in my book. But the greatest Agent Provacatour in my book was the one and only GOR!!!! Those of you who missed that absolutely inspired bit of lunacy missed one of the funniest running gags ever!!! BRILLIANT in conception as well as execution!
    The older I get, the better I was.

Les Paul Forum Member BigsbyTracks's Avatar

Big All, here's a Norlin Deluxe for ya - I've had it since high school and made a lot of questionable mods along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by BigsbyTracks View Post
    Big All, here's a Norlin Deluxe for ya - I've had it since high school and made a lot of questionable mods along the way.

Too me it is so friggen cool! I can see the TIME. It reeks of mojo and magic in a way that speaks loudly too me. A real guitar, loved, treasured and played all this time by you. Most of your musical history is right there. I have a few like that, and I wish I still had my 78 CSB Standard. I have kept Bad Betty all these years and I still love her to death. Thank you for sharing such a cool Les Paul. Man I love everything about it. P90's YAYYYYYY!!!!!

Big Al, here's a 1979 Les Paul KM model. You once told me that you saw flametop KMs ready for shipment to Japan when you visited the Kalamazoo factory.

Mike Slubowski

* "Gibson guitars are like potato chips - you can't have just one!"

* "So many Gibsons to love, so little time..."

Well...anyway Big Al..if you want my Ibanez 59er..you can have it..

My favorite guitars for my favorite LPF er.

Show 'em who's boss Al.

You're in my prayers.

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL361/492960/654288/74983208.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSlub View Post
    Big Al, here's a 1979 Les Paul KM model. You once told me that you saw flametop KMs ready for shipment to Japan when you visited the Kalamazoo factory.

Two piece top, flamey 70's T-burst Norlin... That's really cool... I've never seen that much flame on a LP pre Heritage 80... The double whites & speed knobs are very Ace too

Excellent

"I'm Yngwie J. Malmsteen... And I approve this message"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZxdjBXGHl8

https://youtu.be/9az1INihI2Y

I saw a whole rack of them at Gibson in Kalamazoo. All were flamed to death and just lovely. I was managing Castle Music in Goleta, CA at that time and was pissed, as these Les Pauls looked like the photo the Gibson rep, (Tiny Timbrel), had shown us when getting me to order a boatload for the store. None of which had even a hint of flame. I clearly remember Ken Killman refusing to let me order any as they were sold to a big dealer in Japan. I also rember they had a CM on the truss rod cover and we wondered if it meant CUSTOM MADE or CURLY MAPLE instead of the KM which meant KALAMAZOO MADE. Ken made an enemy that day and I'm still miffed. The double cream T top 490 pickups are very notable and very cool. If you want to see an even earlier flame top the one in my avatar is a mid 70's Strings and Things reissue. It is the Viceroy Brown one mentioned in the second Robb Larwence Les Paul Book. My favorite guitar, Bad Betty!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I saw a whole rack of them at Gibson in Kalamazoo. All were flamed to death and just lovely. I was managing Castle Music in Goleta, CA at that time and was pissed, as these Les Pauls looked like the photo the Gibson rep, (Tiny Timbrel), had shown us when getting me to order a boatload for the store. None of which had even a hint of flame. I clearly remember Ken Killman refusing to let me order any as they were sold to a big dealer in Japan. I also rember they had a CM on the truss rod cover and we wondered if it meant CUSTOM MADE or CURLY MAPLE instead of the KM which meant KALAMAZOO MADE. Ken made an enemy that day and I'm still miffed. The double cream T top 490 pickups are very notable and very cool. If you want to see an even earlier flame top the one in my avatar is a mid 70's Strings and Things reissue. It is the Viceroy Brown one mentioned in the second Robb Larwence Les Paul Book. My favorite guitar, Bad Betty!
    Do you have more pics of Bad Betty. I was always looking for a early 70's 2 piece flame top but never found one... What year is yours?

Les Paul Forum Member bluesforstevie's Avatar

How are you doin' Al? Hope you're feeling good. Yeah, I'd like to see pics of "Bad Betty"!!

Quote Originally Posted by bluesforstevie View Post
    How are you doin' Al? Hope you're feeling good. Yeah, I'd like to see pics of "Bad Betty"!!
    I'm doin' fine, thank you. I see the Othopedic Ocologist tomorrow and find out when I'll have my surgery and new condomless truss rod installed. My camera is on the fritz, but I will try and post pics soon.

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Do you have more pics of Bad Betty. I was always looking for a early 70's 2 piece flame top but never found one... What year is yours?
    I'll post more soon when I have photo's. I don't know the exact year as I bought it from Gibson and it had a new number and made in USA stamped over the inked number for Strings and Things. Best guess is between 75-77.

Stock Hippy makes me laugh and I love his fearless indiduality and artists sensibilities . There is a goofy joy and lack of ill will or a hurtful demeanor to him that I greatly enjoy. I love the dudes music sensabilities and he is a snappy dresser to boot. Anyone who can push so many collective buttons is just fine in my book. But the greatest Agent Provacatour in my book was the one and only GOR!!!! Those of you who missed that absolutely inspired bit of lunacy missed one of the funniest running gags ever!!! BRILLIANT in conception as well as execution!
    sid was a trip as well.... Hot like a boonarooba!

Good vibes to ya Al! Tell the doc to use hide glue.
    "Runnin' with the Devil's advocate"

Yep Al all the best with the panelbeating.

Sounds like Bad Betty is the best of all time... Norlin specs with a flamey, two piece top... Sexy

BTW... Looking forward to some pics.... Hope you're doing good...
    Last edited by shred; 04-18-13 at 03:59 AM. Reason: wrong emoticon

big al
    i wish you well
    i too appreciate all your thought
    and
    as one of the few i ever met on this forum
    who liked these too

At the risk of pissing you off Al, cus I know how you feel about this silly kind of stuff. My re-worked 2007 R6, now converted to humbuckers, refin'd and relic'd, and wearing old parts.

Headstock detail:

I keep hoping to show it to you in person!

Going in for my "makeover" May 9. Can't wait 'til it is over. My arm and shoulder are killin' me, literally. Probably be gone for awhile, as post op therapy and treatment will be intense.

Until then, play yer freakin' guitars. Play with your pals. Go to a local open mic nite and sit in. Stop obsessing over 50's bursts and trying to transmogrify your perfectly fine guitars into something they can never be. There is way too much Barbie doll mentality around here and it is getting to be ridiculous.

Spend yer dough making your axe play and sound better and quit freakin' out over cosmetic bullshit that some of you are fixated on because you've seen some picture in a book, somewhere. There are so many fine and wonderful guitars that are not Bursts or some cosmetic clone. I swear the cork sniffin' anal wannabe self appointed fashion gurus make me want to play Fenders only.

Get back to the FUN!!! Make your own statement and enjoy what you enjoy. Quit asking for a group hug with every decision. Jeez!! "What color should I paint my guitar?", "What color bobbins? or should I leave the covers on?", "Is this tailpiece OK, fellas?", "Do these knobs look the right shade?", "Are my inlays OK, or should I replace them?" " Hey! Does this top look authentic enough?" "Do these pickups make my butt look big?"WTF!! WTF! WTF!!!

Yeah, I am in pain, I am tired and scared, and my mood sucks right now, I know I am a miserable bastard but all this crap I have been reading isn't helping my mood at all.

Just enjoy these great guitars you have, play some music and have FUN.

"Do these pickups make my butt look big?"WTF!! WTF! WTF!!!

+1

Good luck Big Guy... Great post

Double blacks are slimming, double whites add 10 pounds. Zebras are generally slimming unless you point your headstock toward the ceiling. Basic stuff really, pretty well known. Maybe we need a sticky.
    If it sounds good, it is good.

Les Paul Forum Member

Going in for my "makeover" May 9. Can't wait 'til it is over. My arm and shoulder are killin' me, literally. Probably be gone for awhile, as post op therapy and treatment will be intense.

Until then, play yer freakin' guitars. Play with your pals. Go to a local open mic nite and sit in. Stop obsessing over 50's bursts and trying to transmogrify your perfectly fine guitars into something they can never be. There is way too much Barbie doll mentality around here and it is getting to be ridiculous.

Spend yer dough making your axe play and sound better and quit freakin' out over cosmetic bullshit that some of you are fixated on because you've seen some picture in a book, somewhere. There are so many fine and wonderful guitars that are not Bursts or some cosmetic clone. I swear the cork sniffin' anal wannabe self appointed fashion gurus make me want to play Fenders only.

Get back to the FUN!!! Make your own statement and enjoy what you enjoy. Quit asking for a group hug with every decision. Jeez!! "What color should I paint my guitar?", "What color bobbins? or should I leave the covers on?", "Is this tailpiece OK, fellas?", "Do these knobs look the right shade?", "Are my inlays OK, or should I replace them?" " Hey! Does this top look authentic enough?" "Do these pickups make my butt look big?"WTF!! WTF! WTF!!!

Yeah, I am in pain, I am tired and scared, and my mood sucks right now, I know I am a miserable bastard but all this crap I have been reading isn't helping my mood at all.

Best wishes Big Fella!

Great post Al. You really make this Sunburst Pub the place to drop in. No self promoting pomposity in here - that's all in the other place. You want to touch base with reality? Then here's where it can be found.

You sum up exactly, in words that lie just beyond my reach, those self same feelings. Guitars especially. They represent a cameo of life itself. There is good and there is bad. There is also beauty, but the nauseating, narcissistic crap that flows freely from time to time elsewhere, is exactly that - nauseating. So much that means so little, other to themselves and a few boot lickers ....

I could go on, but no need to - you've said it all ....... and, oh so brilliantly.

We don't know each other. I've never had the pleasure. However, along with so many other of your friends and admirers , both new and old, we are with you on your journey. Be strong my friend.

Les Paul Forum Member Beano Geno's Avatar

One of the best posts ever on the LPF.....Right On Big Al!!

All the best Al with it all.

Best wishes Al, hopefully we'll get together and do some playing soon.

In the meantime, here's one that you haven't seen yet. I made this bad girl in my home woodshop in 2008.

Mmmmm, Koa!

Les Paul Forum Member gibson-r8's Avatar

Thanks Big Al.

78 Les Paul Recording

Quote Originally Posted by gibson-r8 View Post
    Thanks Big Al.
    No, thank you. It absolutely made my day to see a Recording model. GREAT GUITARS!!!! Steven, beautiful guitars. Now take some advise I gave you years ago, GET A GREAT AMP!! Did you buy the Deluxe?

No, thank you. It absolutely made my day to see a Recording model. GREAT GUITARS!!!! Steven, beautiful guitars. Now take some advise I gave you years ago, GET A GREAT AMP!! Did you buy the Deluxe?
    Hang in there, Al! Prayers and good karma flowing your way for a successful truss rod change! Peace to you!

I was lucky enough to be invited to dinner with Joe Bonamassa and friends on Monday before his gig in Denver on Tuesday, and we talked about you. He really enjoyed meeting you at the gig in New York and thought you were a great guy!
    Mike Slubowski

* "Gibson guitars are like potato chips - you can't have just one!"

* "So many Gibsons to love, so little time..."

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Craw View Post
    Mmmmm, Koa!
    Amazing... Beautiful work

How does it sound?

Les Paul Forum Member moonweasel's Avatar

Best post ever, Al.

Be strong!!!

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

Good Luck with this thing Al, sending you all the best from England.

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by ourmaninthenorth View Post
    Good Luck with this thing Al, sending you all the best from England.

Paul.
    Thanx Paul, England has always sent it's best to me.

Les Paul Forum Member Cliff Gress's Avatar

I wish you the best too Big Al. I worked with some pediatric oncology staff during my years at a major west michigan hospital. Dedicated, caring and damn good at what they do. I hope your caregivers are at their level.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Gress View Post
    I wish you the best too Big Al. I worked with some pediatric oncology staff during my years at a major west michigan hospital. Dedicated, caring and damn good at what they do. I hope your caregivers are at their level.

Peace
    Funny about that. With all I have been through, it was seeing little kids with Cancer that just tore me up. When undergoing Chemo and some other therapeutic torture sessions, I saw lots of children battling this awful thing. I would endure all of it if I had the power to spare them any of it. These kids and the amazing people that work with them are stronger and more loving than I could ever hope to be. Nothing I have gone through compares to what these children face, and it breaks my heart.

Only "vanity" changes to any of my Historics were, in the early days, the knobs, to regular Gibson-issue bells; That dark shit was fuckin' terrible! ... an' on my '09 R8, the switchnut an' switchtip; The stock 'nut had a "flat deck" on top that glared at a LOT of angles and was generally incorrect fer late '50s Lesters. The switchtip is half vanity, half tribute: I like a white switchtip on a darkburst ... an' I filed it down, stubby, ala Mr. Peter Green.