NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Les Paul Forum Member

Re: The Big Al Good Mojo thread

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Still I'll have my own truss rod CONDOM FREE!!! I'm having my own Historic Makeover!!!

An older pic.
    Praying for you Al !
    Joe
    <><

Les Paul Forum Member moonweasel's Avatar

I can't go out and play now. The cancer has eaten away so much bone in my left humerus that the bone may break from simple usage not to mention the rather nagging problem of the constant pain I am in. Makes for a cranky Big Al. That is why I'm bummed out. I could have before now it may never happen. My own damn fault. That is why I want you guys to get with some buds, hang, play now and just enjoy it. Think of me when you do. I most likley am facing surgery on my arm and after the tumor is removed they will drill down though my shoulder and insert a titanium rod to stengthen my bone. Honestly I am scared and dreading the whole deal. Still I'll have my own truss rod CONDOM FREE!!! I'm having my own Historic Makeover!!! I love you goys and it is hard to convey how much your good will has bouyed my spirits!

Al,

I am studying the Rolling Stones right now, learning songs I always meant to etc. Do you have a favorite Stones song? If I don't know it already, I'll learn it. Might be a distraction for you to make random people on the internet learn songs you like.

Dont worry about the rod.Its the least of you problems.I have plates in my left arm and right leg plus four screws in my left leg.I dont even know they are there.got a fused left ankle too.Let them help you.

Al ~ I just saw this, man hang in there! I've been a fan of your opinionated posts since day 1 and always loved the biter/moaner wisdom of yours. Rock the f'n rod if it helps.

Still wish i hadn't sold my "happy" LPFDC but i still get a kick and a smile at this shot i took when i had her:

Sending good thoughts your way!

Quote Originally Posted by moonweasel View Post
    Al,

I am studying the Rolling Stones right now, learning songs I always meant to etc. Do you have a favorite Stones song? If I don't know it already, I'll learn it. Might be a distraction for you to make random people on the internet learn songs you like.
    I remember when my band learned "Can you hear me knocking?". We were laughing so hard from the nonesensicle gibberish Jeff, the bassist, swore were the correct lyrics as we all listened to the record! "Honky Tonk Woman" was always one I enjoyed.
    The older I get, the better I was.

yeti

I can't go out and play now. The cancer has eaten away so much bone in my left humerus that the bone may break from simple usage not to mention the rather nagging problem of the constant pain I am in. Makes for a cranky Big Al. That is why I'm bummed out. I could have before now it may never happen. My own damn fault. That is why I want you guys to get with some buds, hang, play now and just enjoy it. Think of me when you do. I most likley am facing surgery on my arm and after the tumor is removed they will drill down though my shoulder and insert a titanium rod to stengthen my bone. Honestly I am scared and dreading the whole deal. Still I'll have my own truss rod CONDOM FREE!!! I'm having my own Historic Makeover!!! I love you goys and it is hard to convey how much your good will has bouyed my spirits!
    Best advice ever given on this forum. get past the details and just enjoy the music with what you have in terms of talent, time, gear, ambition, whatever.
    I have gotten to know you only via your posts but you have a great impact here. Even if your bones won't let you play anymore your presence here will be a great asset to the LPF.
    I'm glad I've met you here

I remember when my band learned "Can you hear me knocking?". We were laughing so hard from the nonesensicle gibberish Jeff, the bassist, swore were the correct lyrics as we all listened to the record! "Honky Tonk Woman" was always one I enjoyed.
    Mapleflame and I played that in a band together a few years ago. LOVE that song. Hell, I picked up a vintage Ludwig DownBeat kit from Craigslist, and for the first two weeks, that intro beat was all I knew. Tell you what, I always wanted to take the time to better learn the weird stuff Keith was doing in some parts of that song, and the solo which Steve (mapleflame) used to play.

Assignment received, I'm on it! Thanks Al !!!

EDIT: Also just bought Sticky Fingers. I've always survived by compilations and random MP3's from the Napster era, was missing a few songs including Can You Hear Me Knocking.

Les Paul Forum Member Pearly Grapes's Avatar

Hey Al. Don't know what to say except I 'get it'. I'm all too familiar with Sloan-Kettering, MD Anderson, & Vanderbilt Cancer Center. There be some good folks at those places! Go for it man & Best of Luck. I'm saying a prayer right now.
    Anyway, I'll be 60 in a few days & those years have taught me to that I *Wholeheartly Agree* with your advice to get out & jam with some buds!!!
    Don't Wait!

(Jamming don't mean you have to pick up a guitar. Just hang out with your friends. Tell them to 'Get the Fvck' over to your place & share some lies & other stories!)

Hey EVERYONE; Listen to Big Al. You KNOW he *always* knows WTF he's talking about!!!

Jam On.
    Never Stop Playing!

All Access/Backstage Pass Progrocker111's Avatar
    small country full of nice women and good beer

Adding my new acquired ES335 1963 50th anniversary for Big Al

My diagnosis is: Hiwatt and Norlinphilia

2014 Gibson Les Paul Junior 1957 Custom Shop
    1972 Hiwatt DR103, 1972 Hiwatt SE4122

Les Paul Forum Member JR-Special's Avatar

I can't go out and play now. The cancer has eaten away so much bone in my left humerus that the bone may break from simple usage I'm having my own Historic Makeover!!! I love you guys and it is hard to convey how much your good will has bouyed my spirits!
    Another price of vintage gear ruined by modern modifications! Seriously though, ouch!

Al one thing I have found that makes more difference than you can imagine is a positive mental outlook. Our bodies follow our minds. Our minds don't always win the battle but a negative outlook will drag you down. Keep up a positive outlook, it will make you feel better and it will help those around you. I know this as I have my own health challenges and keeping a positive outlook is part of what helps me. And yes, I know it is not easy to do.

Playing with my buds is the best! No matter what challenges I face they seem like a lighter burden after a jam session. Music heals and sharing music with others doubly so.

I pulled out my LP Special last night and gave the Allman Brothers tune "Gamblers Roll" a wailing to speed your recovery.

Les Paul Forum Member

Big Al, I don't post much here, read and lurk a lot though. You are one poster here that I instantly liked. You are full of fire and life and that is your best weapon against the dragon. I spent 5 years off and on chemo, and beat my dragon. My only advice, is the MIND (with the meds helping) is the best weapon you have. The power of positive thought and living is medicinal down to the DNA cellular level. I am rooting and cheering for you, you ornery tough SOB you! Love you Bro, in spite of not really knowing you. Kick Ass and wring that effin' dragons neck.

If ya should pass, Brother Al, would ya like this to be a sticky
    or jus' keep it a reg'lar thread, runnin'?

I know you mean it well Blackie, but I'd consider editing that post... Under the circumstances I'm sure it's the least of his concerns...

"I'm Yngwie J. Malmsteen... And I approve this message"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZxdjBXGHl8

https://youtu.be/9az1INihI2Y

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    I know you mean it well Blackie, but I'd consider editing that post... Under the circumstances I'm sure it's the least of his concerns...
    No.

Cool

Les Paul Forum Member Elliot Easton's Avatar

Here's a cheerful SG to hopefully make you smile.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you, Big Al.
    Your pal,
    EE

"A little bit of knowledge can be a very dangerous thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Easton View Post
    Your pal,
    EE

I like that so much better than Pelham Blue. Excellent!!!!
    The older I get, the better I was.

bigAL...do you want my blonde Ibanez 59er...?

Les Paul Forum Member Billy Porter's Avatar

A big plec for Big Al (+73 LPC)

Can't help but like a guy that cut's through some of the cr*p spoken on forums. Take care of yourself
    You’re never alone with a schizophrenic

Thanks for posting so many amazing guitars guys... Great stuff

Check these 2001 time machine posts from this thread...

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSlub View Post
    We all miss Big Al. I hope he decides to come back some day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil M View Post
    I am not glad Al is gone, we'd get some great banter going back and forth sometimes, but I'm glad that he's playing more now. I saw him sit in with a band a couple months ago, and he is not your average picker! Imagine how good he'll sound with his own band that he jams with all the time...

If you let it, this place can drain a lot of time that you could be PLAYING a guitar instead of TALKING about playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karaoke Karl View Post
    Big Al is the geatest man that ever lived!!!
    Well maybe not the greatest because there was Evil Keneivel and he was pretty great. And of course we can't forget Eule Gibbons (Uncle of Billy) and finally last but not least Tiny Tim. Big Al is right below those three though.

In all seriousness Big Al and I penpal often. We talk about guitars, blues and my favorite idiots in the world (well just one know it all idiot in particular). BA is doing well keeping busy with the above mentioned. He also just played acoustic National Slide Guitar for a live broadcast with Shawkela Copeland ( the late John Copelands daughter) She is gonna be HUGE in the
    Blues world BA tells me and I believe him!!!!! For those that don't know John Copeland (I didn't before BA edified me) Johnny Copeland was a major Black Blues guitar dude. His most famous
    album was a joint effort with Robert Cray and Albert Collins. It's called "SHOWDOWN".

Even though Big Al is no longer with us his spirit is. Anytime anyone mentions P90s he is the first thing that pops in my mind.
    Last edited by shred; 03-30-13 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Easton View Post
    Your pal,
    EE

I like the Danelectro and (what appears to be) Rickenbacker bass in the background too.
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Black58 View Post
    If ya should pass, Brother Al, would ya like this to be a sticky
    or jus' keep it a reg'lar thread, runnin'?
    I'm trying to figure out what would make someone commit this to a post.
    Jonathan

Love and prayers, Chuck
    If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote Originally Posted by JJC View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what would make someone commit this to a post.
    Reality .. an' respecting the man's wishes/view of the world.

I dont know Big AL but would just like to pass on best wishes from UK
    2000 Honeyburst Les Paul Standard
    PRS SE Bernie Marsden Vintage Sunburst
    Bareknuckle Pickups
    10th Anniversaries (LP)
    Mules (PRS)
    Orange Dual Terror
    2x12 Zilla Cab

Les Paul Forum Member Direstraits's Avatar

Big Al, I'm another fan of your particular style of wit & wisdom & have enjoyed reading your posts more than any others. (The Bonamassa thread is a classic !) . I sincerely hope that you beat this and hang around to burst egos & debunk myths for years to come.

Here's my offering: "Plain Jane". She's a '07 Studio fitted with Antiquities, and although she can't compete on looks she can hold her own sonically.

When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got three more fingers pointing back at you.

Les Paul Forum Member FretsAlot's Avatar

Happy Easter Big Al from my... family.

From left to right...
    Jr - '04? Not a custom shop or reissue
    '57ri - '04 - my #1
    '76 sandwich body Custom w/ duncan '59's - Big Bertha (10+ lbs) - she's been with me since the early 80's.

Cousin Stevie(RV) snuck into the photo. Never thought I'd own a strat cuz I hadn't ever picked one up that I felt comfortable with and enjoyed the tone. Bought this '95 used. I'm not a logo guy, so to this day I am still a little embarassed to own a fanboy guitar, but I couldn't dispute that it's the only strat that ever felt good in my hands.

For those of you who may be wondering, yes that is still the plastic protection sticker on the Jr's pickguard. I've got a quirk about sometimes not removing that type of stuff from products. I've left it on since new, don't know why, just... cuz.

Fretsalot/Scott
    Last edited by FretsAlot; 03-31-13 at 03:30 PM.
    Owner/Operator of NW LP & Marshall Rescue Shelter: free drop off for your unwanted/abused LP's & Marshalls - no questions asked.

Kim R

B.A.,

Check your mail, Bubba. Many chapters left to write, even while the plot may change.

Kim

Big Al,

I have enjoyed your wit and wisdom immensely through the years. Sending some good mojo your way and hope you enjoy the pic of my '99 R9. Stay strong, brother!

The best responses we get from an audience are when we do our worst material.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by tuberide View Post
    Here's some fiddleback for you Big Al. We are all pulling for you. Stay strong....

Nice a Maple body Jr a 1954 i would think.Yeti that is why it did not look like mahogany, it is a 1954 maple body jr. I used to have a maple body 1954 early JR.Nice fiddleback for Big Al.Mike B.

Hi Al another 1954 Maple body Jr for you.Mike B.

Les Paul Forum Member Beano Geno's Avatar

Hang in there Big Al.....we're all pullin' for you.

Hey Al,

You know, I am FOREVER hooked on "Cant You Hear Me Knockin". Was only vaguely aware of it before you mentioned it the other day. My Sticky Fingers cd came in the mail yesterday.

THANK YOU

Where the only difference between the moose and the women is 40 lbs. and a flannel shirt!

[QUOTE=moonweasel;2446140]hooked on "Cant You Hear Me Knockin"./QUOTE]

If you think that's great (and it is), check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rdzkFpbgeE

A little dash of Ry Cooder to take the Stones to the next level. It's on the London Years boxed set if you're interested. My guess is Big Al would approve.
    ...and then the old bull said "No son, let's walk down the hill and fuck all of 'em."

yeti

Quote Originally Posted by mbowen View Post
    Nice a Maple body Jr a 1954 i would think.Yeti that is why it did not look like mahogany, it is a 1954 maple body jr. I used to have a maple body 1954 early JR.Nice fiddleback for Big Al.Mike B.
    Thanks, Mike
    I didn't know those existed. How's the weight and does it sound different (i would think it would)?

Beautiful guitars & pics... Special thanks to EE

Please keep posting your guitars and good wishes for Big Al to enjoy when he drops by

Quote Originally Posted by mbowen View Post
    You could be right Mike though it looks like mahogany to my eye and it is in fact a '54 as you stated.
    Here's more on the subject in this thread.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...t=maple+junior

Hang in there, Al.

Phil http://philbert.lh.net/cool.gif

"Sometimes life is a beach."

http://youtu.be/ttqhJy9UA9Q

(warning: 1080P full screen HD content with wide stereo sound. High speed connection advised.)

http://youtu.be/ybDROZZphAQ