NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Re: The Big Al Good Mojo thread

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I am losing this fight. I was dropped from the Cancer Study at Roswel because I was bleeding too much and it was killing me faster than the C. I must have impressed the Doctor though, as he is still treating me off study. He told me I fight harder than any patient he's had and make him and the staff laugh with my bad jokes and up looking attitude.

So I remain on the Sutent drug. I am off the others, still I take many doses of many hard ass meds thoughout the days. My life at this point is measured by pill bottles. It has been hard, for sure, but dealing with a terminal condition is a mind fuck.

I was supposed to be dead by now.
    Oops, sorry guy's I never was good at supposed to be's.

I'm not going easy. I know I can't beat this, but I will be damned if I let it beat me. Being fiesty on the forum helps me feel present. People remember the those that wind them up.

What absolutely brutal news

I'm so sorry Big Al... Hang in there and keep posting the Big Al gospel to the sheeple... You have a whole forum on your side... Stay strong

"I'm Yngwie J. Malmsteen... And I approve this message"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZxdjBXGHl8

https://youtu.be/9az1INihI2Y

Big Al, Glad you stopped in for a little while.

Can we have a ?
    The farther you go, the closer you are.

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

Just found this thread again today.

Completely odd that I had a dream last night with you in it.

I was out somewhere (Big club with live music) with my wife and I ran into you. She was wondering who the fuck I was talking to this time—it's always someone she has no clue or connection to. So I told her it was the guy on the "guitar geek forum" with the "WTF"s and such. She knew right you were the tough smartass guy with a great sense of humor and a big heart.

BTW: Big Al is on the LPF CD. With permission I could link to it.

Big Al,, please check your e-mail, thanks.

Opportunity knocks
    Karma hunts you down

Les Paul Forum Member Pat Boyack's Avatar

I don't know if you believe or not Al, but prayers sent your way.....
    Last edited by Pat Boyack; 02-18-14 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    Just found this thread again today.

Completely odd that I had a dream last night with you in it.

I was out somewhere (Big club with live music) with my wife and I ran into you. She was wondering who the fuck I was talking to this time—it's always someone she has no clue or connection to. So I told her it was the guy on the "guitar geek forum" with the "WTF"s and such. She knew right you were the tough smartass guy with a great sense of humor and a big heart.

BTW: Big Al is on the LPF CD. With permission I could link to it.

Cool Wilko

Hopefully Big Al will chime in regarding the LPF CD. I'd love to check that out

Les Paul Forum Member kharrison's Avatar

I'm going through a rough time myself right now. Big Al..... YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION. You are helping others like you wouldn't imagine. You are in my prayers.

Les Paul Forum Member Kris Ford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kharrison View Post
    I'm going through a rough time myself right now. Big Al..... YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION. You are helping others like you wouldn't imagine. You are in my prayers.
    Hang in there King..and Big Al..Your true bros will always be here for you..

Quote Originally Posted by kharrison View Post
    Brother I'm so sorry to hear that. You ever wanna talk email me. If I can help in anyway, ask.

We are strong though. I suspect maybe more than others know. I'm OK. I will remain the essential me that I am. I get a wee bit down and start feeling all sorry for myself but I get over it and get real. I hope you do too. We remain beyond whatever we may lose through illness, age or circumstance. We each are unique entities, spirits of will. We all are greater than the sum of are parts, and losing part does not diminish us.

Now, listening too my cut on the forum CD, might diminish anyones spirit. It is an audience recorded video tape audio track from the recorders built in mic. I was sitting in and the guy was right in front of my amp, so the guitar is loud in the mix. Vocals are embarrassing IMO, and I suspect it was included on the CD too make the other cuts shine. It's honest. It's live and off the cuff. It's also just for shits and giggles and never done for recording.

Still, no one is missing anything with this. I HAVE GOOD DAYS. I still can play my ass off on good days. I get Sexual Tyranosaur Tone!!!! On my good days I'm on fire, and I fire up some tubes and play all day.

So the state of the B.A. is OK. I am progressing through this thing, as best I can. And I'll fuck up and cry and moan, oh woe is poor old me, boo flippin boo hoo!!!
    Don't fret. It's just the blues, as always temporary in my experience.

You guys have all (well not all, there are some knuckleheads), been helpful too me. In ways you'll never know.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Keep doin' the good stuff Al......you can't kill weeds(so it's said)

The C-word can be very scary. It makes you look back and wonder how? Why me? Don't look back with regrets. Remember the optimistic guy who got on stage the first time, and played with all his heart? Don't worry about the guitars you purchased through the years, and their impact on your finances. They were fun, and had you not done that, your life would be less interesting. To experience life you have to live, and try various things, even drugs, travel, and some internet forums. It's what keeps you alive. One last word of advice, let your body rest when it's weary. A shrink once told me to make the best use of horizontal time. I thought she was referring to two people doing the horizontal, but a nap on your own time can also rejuvenate your spirits.

When I was having similar issues, I compensated with 4-6 longnecks everynight and a big plate of tater-tots. In hindsight, I shoulda rethought the tater-tots....
    'then she made me play games I didn't wanna play...'
    Fer fux sake! Duane's left and Dickey's right!

Les Paul Forum Member Texsunburst59's Avatar

This is for you Al. I don't hang out at this forum too much because I don't have a lot of "Elite" top Les Paul's that a lot of the guys on here have. I do have 3 nice top LP's and 1 battle bruised and scared '77 Wine LP Deluxe I rescued from a pawnshop. I had been there in it's torn to hell guitar case and it lay in the case with a broken neck. NO ONE wanted her, but I felt the need to give her a home and have the neck repaired. By the look of her she was used extensively for years and you can tell by the beaten she's taken she's been through a lot. Anyway because you're going through all this, I thought you'd like to see a survivor that everyone gave up on. Hang in there Al .

The Before:

The After:

Awesome resurrection... And with the original minis

Les Paul Forum Member

Well this knucklehead has learned,laughed,and discussed guitars with no one more REAL than you Big Al.

Although I have poked you a couple of times, I could not have had more fun doing so. (You know I try to get a rise out of you on purpose occasionally)

You inspire truth, and make others explain their view, not just chant the rants of the"sheeple"

Keep swinging my friend, I would expect nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Awesome resurrection... And with the original minis
    Aint that the truth, what a cool as hell guitar!!!! I bet she sounds and plays awesome.

Brother I'm so sorry to hear that. You ever wanna talk email me. If I can help in anyway, ask.

We are strong though. I suspect maybe more than others know. I'm OK. I will remain the essential me that I am. I get a wee bit down and start feeling all sorry for myself but I get over it and get real. I hope you do too. We remain beyond whatever we may lose through illness, age or circumstance. We each are unique entities, spirits of will. We all are greater than the sum of are parts, and losing part does not diminish us.

Now, listening too my cut on the forum CD, might diminish anyones spirit. It is an audience recorded video tape audio track from the recorders built in mic. I was sitting in and the guy was right in front of my amp, so the guitar is loud in the mix. Vocals are embarrassing IMO, and I suspect it was included on the CD too make the other cuts shine. It's honest. It's live and off the cuff. It's also just for shits and giggles and never done for recording.

Still, no one is missing anything with this. I HAVE GOOD DAYS. I still can play my ass off on good days. I get Sexual Tyranosaur Tone!!!! On my good days I'm on fire, and I fire up some tubes and play all day.

So the state of the B.A. is OK. I am progressing through this thing, as best I can. And I'll fuck up and cry and moan, oh woe is poor old me, boo flippin boo hoo!!!
    Don't fret. It's just the blues, as always temporary in my experience.

You guys have all (well not all, there are some knuckleheads), been helpful too me. In ways you'll never know.

Don't let that Mojo go Big Al! Keep Pushin' on!!!

Kool,, but sad mountain lion story..

I just heard the other day that a mountain lion was hit and killed by a car somewhere out by New York.
    Get this,, it had a tag and had been tagged with a code as "cub" that was tagged in the Black Hills of South Dakota!
    I do not know how old it was..?
    Now that's some traveling for personal territory....

Opportunity knocks
    Karma hunts you down

Quote Originally Posted by Texsunburst59 View Post
    This is for you Al. I don't hang out at this forum too much because I don't have a lot of "Elite" top Les Paul's that a lot of the guys on here have. I do have 3 nice top LP's and 1 battle bruised and scared '77 Wine LP Deluxe I rescued from a pawnshop. I had been there in it's torn to hell guitar case and it lay in the case with a broken neck. NO ONE wanted her, but I felt the need to give her a home and have the neck repaired. By the look of her she was used extensively for years and you can tell by the beaten she's taken she's been through a lot. Anyway because you're going through all this, I thought you'd like to see a survivor that everyone gave up on. Hang in there Al .

The Before:

Those are the ones I dig - with plenty of honest play wear.
    You they've been played and loved...
    I even don't mind a neck break if it's priced accordingly...
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

That really does look cool. I know they are not as popular but I have always just loved the MINI HUMBUCKER. Such a nice blend of tone and power. I wish people would quit trying to make them into PAF's. They are thier own thang. I don't see how any guitar player who spends time with them can't find worthy tone.

yeti

That really does look cool. I know they are not as popular but I have always just loved the MINI HUMBUCKER. Such a nice blend of tone and power. I wish people would quit trying to make them into PAF's. They are thier own thang. I don't see how any guitar player who spends time with them can't find worthy tone.
    One of the best sounding guitars I've ever played was a '64 Epi Riviera. It was also one of the most abused guitars I've ever seen but that's another story. Are these mini's pretty much all the same?

Quote Originally Posted by yeti View Post
    One of the best sounding guitars I've ever played was a '64 Epi Riviera. It was also one of the most abused guitars I've ever seen but that's another story. Are these mini's pretty much all the same?
    For the most part. Firebird Minis are all over the place.

Les Paul Forum Member Red Baron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yeti View Post
    One of the best sounding guitars I've ever played was a '64 Epi Riviera.
    Oh yes, these guitars sound absolutely fantastic... real sleepers considering how good they are

Les Paul Forum Member Texsunburst59's Avatar

Hey Big Al, I just wanted to show you the used and abused case this LP Deluxe lives in. They've both been through hell and they're still together. They're both hanging in there just like you.

Wilko, nobody "dreams" of me. The correct term is nightmare!!

Well, both are in better shape and look better than me!!!!

Something about real wear and tear, just seems too ooze the play me vibe. So honest and real.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsunburst59 View Post
    Hey Big Al, I just wanted to show you the used and abused case this LP Deluxe lives in. They've both been through hell and they're still together. They're both hanging in there just like you.

That case is a bonus and just adds to the overall coolness of this guitar.

I like it.

I am jonesin' for a clean, original tobacky Deluxe.

Les Paul Forum Member FretsAlot's Avatar

I like it.

I am jonesin' for a clean, original tobacky Deluxe.
    I've been recently keeping my eyes peeled for an all/mostly original mini-hum Deluxe from the 70's. What's the current take on a fair price for such a git? A very mildy worn tobacco ('75/'76?) in very nice appearing shape showed up in a local shop, and the asking price is $3K which my sixth sense says is too much.

Fretsalot/Scott
    Owner/Operator of NW LP & Marshall Rescue Shelter: free drop off for your unwanted/abused LP's & Marshalls - no questions asked.

Les Paul Forum Member Reverend David's Avatar

Big Al - I hate reading this news regarding the cancer and I don't know much about you & all that you are dealing with & not real sure you want to hear from someone who hardly knows all the history behind your battle with this monster or not. But I have to chime in and let you know my thoughts are with you and whether you believe or not isn't important as that I want you to know I am praying for you and those closest to you and who truly love you & who know you better than a bunch of musicians on a forum.

All my best brother.

Dave

*edited as I think I may have rambled on too long here
    Last edited by Reverend David; 02-28-14 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend David View Post
    Big Al - I hate reading this news regarding the cancer and I don't know much about you & all that you are dealing with & not real sure you want to hear from someone who hardly knows all the history behind your battle with this monster or not. But I have to chime in and let you know my thoughts are with you and whether you believe or not isn't important as that I want you to know I am praying for you and those closest to you and who truly love you & who know you better than a bunch of musicians on a forum.

I have lymphoma and I have been battling it for a few years now so I can relate to a part of your struggle on a personal level. I also lost my Mom to cancer so I guess it's a family thing. I'm guessing here that we're both sharing one thing - and that is that neither of us wanted to know cancer or have any personal knowledge of it in the first place.

About 15 years ago I worked as a Critical Care Tech in the Neurological Intensive Care Unit of the largest hospital here in Des Moines. I only lasted there a couple years because quite frankly the job got depressing. I ended up quitting at the end of one particularly grueling day. Of course you had to be pretty damn messed up to be put in that ICU so as you could imagine the death rate was quite high. I don't share that to be morbid or make you feel worse - I share that because I wanted you to know what I experienced there and some of the things I learned there.

Since I was so low on the seniority list as a newer employee, I had to work the all night shift. This gave me a unique opportunity to chat up some of the smartest doctors on the planet. Brain surgeons, cardiologists, all the really smart people because it was quiet at night. Families had mostly gone home or those who stayed with their loved ones had gone to sleep in their rooms alongside their loved ones. So it was quiet and it gave all of us that worked there the chance to visit at length with people we'd normally have to have an appointment to talk to even briefly.

I witnessed a lot of miracles there. People who should have died, or should have not survived a horrible car wreck or gun shot wound or other various acts of violence or accidents - walked out of that unit and went home. No I don't mean "heaven" I mean they went home to their house, their families, their dog, etc. When I and other medical staff would ask those doctors & surgeons "how is that possible?" These things did not make any sense whatsoever to those of us who were well trained in the business of life and death and who should make it and who more than likely would not make it.

The doctors surprised all of us by admitting the facts of medicine. Even with all the advances that are made every day in new treatments and cures and technology, the doctors, even the brain surgeon, admitted that there total knowledge only amounted to about 5% of why many of these folks survived. There were things that happened there that defied understanding, defied all odds or common sense of any kind. Despite the best of the best technology and knowledge much of what they do for us is educated guess work. The rest is up to variables they don't understand and they in many many cases are just as baffled as we were when someone who wasn't supposed to last the night, walked out of ICU a few weeks later on their own power and will.

I hope that regardless of what you have been told, or experienced or been cancelled out of this program or that treatment that you surprise all those educated well meaning folks and beat this crap and make liars and fools out of all of them. Keep on rocking my friend. You're hardly done here. I need to get to know you better so I can pick on you too right along with everyone else here. All my best brother.

Dave

Stumbled across these great pics of Bad Betty and couldn't resist... What a killer top

BTW check out the story... I can't believe Gibson was going to destroy this 70's beauty... Fortunately, Big Al to the rescue

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=82324

Hey, some of the long time members may have remembered me posting about Bad Betty, a 70's era flametop I got when I was at Gibson Kalamazoo, in 1978.

It has a three piece Mahogany neck, small headstock with Norlin Logo and no volute, with a full round 59 neck profile. The neck shape is identical to the average 59 and is not so fat as the newer R9's.

It has the proper red tortoise side dots and thin fingerboard binding but has the standard 70's perimeter binding, wide in the cutaway. It has the right body shape and has the early 70's modified long tenon which ends at the pickup cavity and is visable along the front edge of the pickup rout.

It has a two piece top of awesome Maple which has lots of flash and movement. It actually looks like completely different tops from different angles. There is a thin maple layer sandwiched between top and body visable in the routs.

The top carve is Norlin Dome, she has an ABR1 bridge and all hardware was Gold when I got it as it had a stock Viceroy Brown Finish which allways came with gold hardware. I've never seen another Standard in this finish.

Here are some shots.

She has a 1978 serial# that was stamped over the inked on number it originaly had. Gibson stamped the number into the back of the headstock for inventory reasons as it was marked for destruction at the plant and the only way I could buy it was if they stamped a new number into the headstock. It was also stamped "SECOND" so I could buy it. All I know for sure is that it was made some years earlier, and most probably for Strings and Things.

It is a wonderful guitar and though not particularly authentic to 50's specs at the time it was very cool, and still is.
    Last edited by shred; 03-03-14 at 02:08 AM.

Here's something a little different for you Big Al... As much as I love Les Pauls, variety is the spice of life... 3 cool maple top/mahogany neck & body guitars in primary colors yet: Suhr Modern, Gibson R8 & PRS McCarty Hollowbody...

If you haven't done so yet, please post a guitar and/or some kind words for Big Al
    Last edited by shred; 03-03-14 at 02:09 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member Pat Boyack's Avatar

Hang in there Al!!!

Classic Big Al.

I was really happy when you came back to the LPF after a long layoff and have learned to appreciate your posts in the here and now. Every day is a blessing.

Keep fighting Big Al.

Glad you are hanging in there Big Al,and love your saved LP above.Thanks Mike B.
    1967-1955-1966

Quote Originally Posted by mbowen View Post
    Glad you are hanging in there Big Al,and love your saved LP above.Thanks Mike B.
    1967-1955-1966

Good lord Mike that '55 is immaculate

Gorgeous guitars Mike.