The Fender Forum
LPF Facebook Page
LPF Instagram Page
NEW Merchandise!
Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Please Make a Donation to the Les Paul Forum to Keep it Going!

2020 Gibson Les Paul Standard unburst

Since few years I've been buying custom shops from Gibson be it 58 and the latest 60th anniversary 59 great absolutely great guitars.
    Today I tried a 2020 Gibson Les Paul Standard sunburst and when I played it I was really amazed by the sound seems like its coming close to a custom shop guitar
    or perhaps im dreaming?
    But the Les Paul Standard from 2020 are truly amazing.I wanted to buy a special 58 custom shop M2M but now im hesitating with a Les Paul Standard?

Re: 2020 Gibson Les Paul Standard unburst

What I like about the USA Standards and prior Traditionals is that, aside from lower price, they're 'vintage styled' but have some nice modern amenities like a 50's neck shape that isn't as huge as an R7/R8's, big frets, and make good 'beater' or working/gigging guitars that you don't necessarily have to be so fixated on keeping vintage-spec. I don't mind a Nashville bridge system because there's a lot of leeway in it and lot one can replace it with. They might not be as clear and complex as the reissues, but they're still good grab n' go axes that you can dress up as vintage or go for more modern. I have so many extra Les Paul parts that even as a 'husk', it makes a cool platform for experimenting with...maybe even a Bigsby down the road.

In fact, I have a Wildwood Select 50's Unburst incoming next week....

I'll be trying either aged covers or maybe even double-creams (which I mocked up with photoshop)...

Only real niggle is that if you've been playing historic for a while, the finish on the USA's feel rather thick. And I still think they're a little overpriced, but so is everything else.
    "There's only two things wrong with you, and that's your face." - Greg Koch

PETER GREEN 1946 - 2020

She's a pretty one Minibucker! All three versions look nice, but I think I may like the uncovered pups best?

Congrats, HNGD jam.gif and play her in good health!
    Midnight Blues

Just Bought a 2020 unburst 1960's. Bloomin amazing guitar. Made in May this year. Second from Left
    . Question now is...Blank truss rod cover or Standard?

lporgy.jpg

117851432_10159038428187137_8875033621599610673_o.jpg
    He who laughs last, gets stared at!

http://www.myspace.com/ronnieleslie

Went with aged covers but might get a Wolfetone DC bridge.

"There's only two things wrong with you, and that's your face." - Greg Koch

PETER GREEN 1946 - 2020

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RDL View Post
    Just Bought a 2020 unburst 1960's. Bloomin amazing guitar. Made in May this year. Second from Left
    . Question now is...Blank truss rod cover or Standard?

lporgy.jpg

117851432_10159038428187137_8875033621599610673_o.jpg
    She is a beauty , for the truss rod cover I would go with a blank one .

Quote Originally Posted by hydraman View Post
    Since few years I've been buying custom shops from Gibson be it 58 and the latest 60th anniversary 59 great absolutely great guitars.
    Today I tried a 2020 Gibson Les Paul Standard sunburst and when I played it I was really amazed by the sound seems like its coming cutfullprice close to a custom shop guitar
    or perhaps im dreaming?
    But the Les Paul Standard from 2020 are truly amazing.I wanted to buy a special 58 custom shop M2M but now im hesitating with a Les Paul Standard?
    You made me curious about the new 2020 Gibson Les Paul Standard unburst sound quality. I will have to give it a try myself and maybe buy one if it's so good.
    Last edited by ernestforest; 08-26-20 at 11:05 AM.