• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Big Al Good Mojo thread

stock_hippie

Les Paul Froum Member
Big Al, never met you, don't know you, other than here on line, where I still get to enjoy your unique sense of occasion and humour along with your ability to say things just right.

Same with you Stock Hippie. An amazing individual and one who adds a dash of colour to this overcrowded grey rock we live on.

You guys are different to the rest of the herd, yet you don't take yourselves ultra seriously all the time, as many of the others do, and when you have something to say, it's usually worth listening to.

You guys are rare diamonds

Don't ever change guys!

tonyj..Thanks..tony..Thats the sweetest post anybody ever wrote to me...!

Big Al

Stock Hippy makes me laugh and I love his fearless indiduality and artists sensibilities . There is a goofy joy and lack of ill will or a hurtful demeanor to him that I greatly enjoy. I love the dudes music sensabilities and he is a snappy dresser to boot. Anyone who can push so many collective buttons is just fine in my book. But the greatest Agent Provacatour in my book was the one and only GOR!!!! Those of you who missed that absolutely inspired bit of lunacy missed one of the funniest running gags ever!!! BRILLIANT in conception as well as execution!

BigsbyTracks

Big All, here's a Norlin Deluxe for ya - I've had it since high school and made a lot of questionable mods along the way. :wah

deluxe-backyard.jpg

Big Al

Big All, here's a Norlin Deluxe for ya - I've had it since high school and made a lot of questionable mods along the way. :wah

deluxe-backyard.jpg

Too me it is so friggen cool! I can see the TIME. It reeks of mojo and magic in a way that speaks loudly too me. A real guitar, loved, treasured and played all this time by you. Most of your musical history is right there. I have a few like that, and I wish I still had my 78 CSB Standard. I have kept Bad Betty all these years and I still love her to death. Thank you for sharing such a cool Les Paul. Man I love everything about it. P90's YAYYYYYY!!!!!

MikeSlub

Administrator
Big Al, here's a 1979 Les Paul KM model. You once told me that you saw flametop KMs ready for shipment to Japan when you visited the Kalamazoo factory. :hank

1979_Gibson_Les_Paul_KM_Kalamazoo_Model_Dark_Sunburst.JPG

SFK

Les Paul Forum Member
My favorite guitars for my favorite LPF er.

Show 'em who's boss Al.

You're in my prayers.

30593_402925081606_7707218_n.jpg

shred

Big Al, here's a 1979 Les Paul KM model. You once told me that you saw flametop KMs ready for shipment to Japan when you visited the Kalamazoo factory. :hank

1979_Gibson_Les_Paul_KM_Kalamazoo_Model_Dark_Sunburst.JPG

:wow

Two piece top, flamey 70's T-burst Norlin... That's really cool... I've never seen that much flame on a LP pre Heritage 80... The double whites & speed knobs are very Ace too :dude:

Excellent :applaude

Big Al

I saw a whole rack of them at Gibson in Kalamazoo. All were flamed to death and just lovely. I was managing Castle Music in Goleta, CA at that time and was pissed, as these Les Pauls looked like the photo the Gibson rep, (Tiny Timbrel), had shown us when getting me to order a boatload for the store. None of which had even a hint of flame. I clearly remember Ken Killman refusing to let me order any as they were sold to a big dealer in Japan. I also rember they had a CM on the truss rod cover and we wondered if it meant CUSTOM MADE or CURLY MAPLE instead of the KM which meant KALAMAZOO MADE. Ken made an enemy that day and I'm still miffed. The double cream T top 490 pickups are very notable and very cool. If you want to see an even earlier flame top the one in my avatar is a mid 70's Strings and Things reissue. It is the Viceroy Brown one mentioned in the second Robb Larwence Les Paul Book. My favorite guitar, Bad Betty!

shred

I saw a whole rack of them at Gibson in Kalamazoo. All were flamed to death and just lovely. I was managing Castle Music in Goleta, CA at that time and was pissed, as these Les Pauls looked like the photo the Gibson rep, (Tiny Timbrel), had shown us when getting me to order a boatload for the store. None of which had even a hint of flame. I clearly remember Ken Killman refusing to let me order any as they were sold to a big dealer in Japan. I also rember they had a CM on the truss rod cover and we wondered if it meant CUSTOM MADE or CURLY MAPLE instead of the KM which meant KALAMAZOO MADE. Ken made an enemy that day and I'm still miffed. The double cream T top 490 pickups are very notable and very cool. If you want to see an even earlier flame top the one in my avatar is a mid 70's Strings and Things reissue. It is the Viceroy Brown one mentioned in the second Robb Larwence Les Paul Book. My favorite guitar, Bad Betty!

Do you have more pics of Bad Betty. I was always looking for a early 70's 2 piece flame top but never found one... What year is yours?

bluesforstevie

How are you doin' Al? Hope you're feeling good. Yeah, I'd like to see pics of "Bad Betty"!!

Big Al

How are you doin' Al? Hope you're feeling good. Yeah, I'd like to see pics of "Bad Betty"!!

I'm doin' fine, thank you. I see the Othopedic Ocologist tomorrow and find out when I'll have my surgery and new condomless truss rod installed. My camera is on the fritz, but I will try and post pics soon.

Big Al

Do you have more pics of Bad Betty. I was always looking for a early 70's 2 piece flame top but never found one... What year is yours?

I'll post more soon when I have photo's. I don't know the exact year as I bought it from Gibson and it had a new number and made in USA stamped over the inked number for Strings and Things. Best guess is between 75-77.

DucRyder

Stock Hippy makes me laugh and I love his fearless indiduality and artists sensibilities . There is a goofy joy and lack of ill will or a hurtful demeanor to him that I greatly enjoy. I love the dudes music sensabilities and he is a snappy dresser to boot. Anyone who can push so many collective buttons is just fine in my book. But the greatest Agent Provacatour in my book was the one and only GOR!!!! Those of you who missed that absolutely inspired bit of lunacy missed one of the funniest running gags ever!!! BRILLIANT in conception as well as execution!

sid was a trip as well.... Hot like a boonarooba!

Good vibes to ya Al! Tell the doc to use hide glue.

shred

Sounds like Bad Betty is the best of all time... Norlin specs with a flamey, two piece top... Sexy :dude:

shred

BTW... Looking forward to some pics.... Hope you're doing good... :yah

Last edited:

Stevedenver

big al
i wish you well
i too appreciate all your thought
and
as one of the few i ever met on this forum
who liked these too
recordingguitar2012001.jpg

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
At the risk of pissing you off Al, cus I know how you feel about this silly kind of stuff. My re-worked 2007 R6, now converted to humbuckers, refin'd and relic'd, and wearing old parts.
038_zps607d5867.jpg