• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Big Al Good Mojo thread

Big Al

My old 1986 Reissue- a handsome devil
jamming062.jpg

That is spoogeworthy!!!!! I still prefer those old school inlays and could care less if they don't look like 50's. Beautiful. :3zone

corpse

Funny- I sold it to a guy in CO Mike- but you bought your's new IIRC

tuberide

Yes.... get the R8 and beautiful flame on the new darkburst Big Al.
And Mike.....when you die God is taking your collection with you.

Cliff Gress

A tobacco burst 2013 is a great incentive to get better Al. Much better than anything a therapist could provide you.

Big Al

A tobacco burst 2013 is a great incentive to get better Al. Much better than anything a therapist could provide you.

That's my thinking, Cliff. It is in the case in the case closet in the Tone Temple. I ain't even gonna look at it, until I can grab it, plug it in and play it like it deserves to played.

GOTTA GET STRONGER, CAN'T DO MUCH ABOUT THE PUSS!

As soon as the Docs give the OK it's hit the Y 7 days a week. I probably won't be able to ride my bike, and no more speed bag or heavy bag workouts.

Guitar playing is the goal. :peace2

chuckNC

Wow, if you scroll down this page really fast it's almost like some crazy strobing darkburst movie! Thanks for that trip to the dark(er) side, Mike!

shred

Just a whole bunch of amazing dark bursts, and Big Al's might be the prettiest of the bunch :hmm

DoubleBoogie

Al,

I rarely visit the Sunburst Pub (not sure why either) so I am just now seeing this. I know I upset you with a previous post in The Backstage area a while back. I also know that you defused that confrontation in a very classy manner. Please know that upsetting you (or anyone else) was and never will be my intention here. Wishing you all the best Al. Here is my favorite darkburst to hopefully boost your spirits and help speed your recovery. Take care. :jim

Big Al

Hey, DoubleBoogie, ( what is that some hyper speed Texas two step done to a Jimmy Reed shuffle?) I take no offense, and all is good, brother. I can't say the same for my nephew, I have reached out to him and worry for that young man. War is Hell, but you and me, we be OK.

Now that friggen guitar you posted above is one stripalicious mohambe of the finest bustatude!!! Good lord that thing is beautiful. That color is what I have wanted in a Burst forever and I always seem to end up with some shade of brown!!

I went to the HOG to see what's up, ran into the most excellent POON, and walked out with a stunningly beautiful classic R8 Plaintop. Eastern hard rock top with a most beautiful, too my eyes, FIGURED TOP!!! Not super stripy, but very flamey with amazing shift and movement. The great dudes at the HOG received a large shipment of very flamed out PLAINTOP R8's and they are passing along the good fortune by NOT IMPOSING AN UPCHARGE!

I couldn't pass up such a stellar deal. The color is a very warm golden SUNSET ICE TEA! Beautiful clear warm faded golden color with a tiny hint of red in the burst and nice bright yellow center. Very reflective and active top. In every regard it is a R9. The neck feels the same. Tone is excellent as most of these 13's seem too be. Very responsive and lively. Volume pots taper is awful. It seems to all take place from 10 to 7, the tone controls have a better sweep and wider range of tones, but the volume pots have to go.

I was completely happy with my 99 and 00 and wasn't looking for anymore. Now I have added 2 13's because they are so damn good. Playability and tone are about as good as it gets, they look excellent and I see no downside to these new Les Pauls. Factor in PLAINTOP R8's with highly figured R( type tops at plain top prices and it becomes a no brainer.

DoubleBoogie

Hey, DoubleBoogie, ( what is that some hyper speed Texas two step done to a Jimmy Reed shuffle?) I take no offense, and all is good, brother. I can't say the same for my nephew, I have reached out to him and worry for that young man. War is Hell, but you and me, we be OK.

Now that friggen guitar you posted above is one stripalicious mohambe of the finest bustatude!!! Good lord that thing is beautiful. That color is what I have wanted in a Burst forever and I always seem to end up with some shade of brown!!

I went to the HOG to see what's up, ran into the most excellent POON, and walked out with a stunningly beautiful classic R8 Plaintop. Eastern hard rock top with a most beautiful, too my eyes, FIGURED TOP!!! Not super stripy, but very flamey with amazing shift and movement. The great dudes at the HOG received a large shipment of very flamed out PLAINTOP R8's and they are passing along the good fortune by NOT IMPOSING AN UPCHARGE!

I couldn't pass up such a stellar deal. The color is a very warm golden SUNSET ICE TEA! Beautiful clear warm faded golden color with a tiny hint of red in the burst and nice bright yellow center. Very reflective and active top. In every regard it is a R9. The neck feels the same. Tone is excellent as most of these 13's seem too be. Very responsive and lively. Volume pots taper is awful. It seems to all take place from 10 to 7, the tone controls have a better sweep and wider range of tones, but the volume pots have to go.

I was completely happy with my 99 and 00 and wasn't looking for anymore. Now I have added 2 13's because they are so damn good. Playability and tone are about as good as it gets, they look excellent and I see no downside to these new Les Pauls. Factor in PLAINTOP R8's with highly figured R( type tops at plain top prices and it becomes a no brainer.

:applaude Yes sir! Been eyeballin those new "lightly figured" R8s as well. Such a deal compared to the R9's and R0's! That guitar above is an 04 I fell in love with and later bought from forum member Mark Kane. Some spectacular wood on the top of this one. I told him as soon as I saw it that if he ever sold it, give me first shot at it. I then found out where he bought his (Music Machine) and saw one on line with similar color and pulled the trigger on it, They are both faded tobacco Custom Authentic versions. Mark then offered to sell me his and I bought it as well. I then found out that they are sequential serial numbered guitars. Pretty cool. Both are really nice guitars. Here is a pic of the other one..

As for my handle...When I joined the forum, I had two wood and wicker Boogie combos with matching extension cabs. One was a MKIV and the other a MKIII. I had just got through with a particularly bad round of golf when I joined the forum, so when I picked my handle, I looked at the amps and thought of that round of golf...viola! DoubleBoogie seemed to fit! Keep hangin in there my friend. Will be thinking of you often now and prayin for a speedy recovery! :salude

Last edited:

Big Al

:applaude Yes sir! Been eyeballin those new "lightly figured" R8s as well. Such a deal compared to the R9's and R0's! That guitar above is an 04 I fell in love with and later bought from forum member Mark Kane. Some spectacular wood on the top of this one. I told him as soon as I saw it that if he ever sold it, give me first shot at it. I then found out where he bought his (Music Machine) and saw one on line with similar color and pulled the trigger on it, They are both faded tobacco Custom Authentic versions. Mark then offered to sell me his and I bought it as well. I then found out that they are sequential serial numbered guitars. Pretty cool. Both are really nice guitars. Here is a pic of the other one..

As for my handle...When I joined the forum, I had two wood and wicker Boogie stacks with matching extension cabs. One was a MKIV and the other a MKIII. I had just got through with a particularly bad round of golf when I joined the forum, so when I picked my handle, I looked at the amps and thought of that round of golf...viola! DoubleBoogie seemed to fit! Keep hangin in there my friend. Will be thinking of you often now and prayin for a speedy recovery! :salude

I remember, Mark. He always had great looking guitars. What a great pair, AND SEQUENTIAL!!! I like that the wood is different, yet spectacular.

I love Mesa BOOGIES. I have never heard one I didn't like and they are amoung my most favorite amps. I always wanted a hardwood/wicker combo
or 2x12 piggyback. I was given a very early issue Mk III long head Simul-Class, fully loaded, with graphic and reverb in black tolex, for some studio work I did that came out well. Kind of a bonus.

I love that amp but it seems to be the least liked Boogie from what I read. Sure works and sounds great too me. GREAT AMP, all BOOGIES are really.

DoubleBoogie

I remember, Mark. He always had great looking guitars. What a great pair, AND SEQUENTIAL!!! I like that the wood is different, yet spectacular.

I love Mesa BOOGIES. I have never heard one I didn't like and they are amoung my most favorite amps. I always wanted a hardwood/wicker combo
or 2x12 piggyback. I was given a very early issue Mk III long head Simul-Class, fully loaded, with graphic and reverb in black tolex, for some studio work I did that came out well. Kind of a bonus.

I love that amp but it seems to be the least liked Boogie from what I read. Sure works and sounds great too me. GREAT AMP, all BOOGIES are really.

Those Boogies I had are gone now, but I do have a 1980 MKIIB and it sounds better than the later ones to me. Dialing it in so that the footswitch can be used going from channel to channel can be a bit of a problem. But tonally, I like the MKIIB even over the famed MKIIC+.

shred

I love Mesa/Boogie amps.... I had a blue stripe MK III that was killer....

madformac

Al, your new sidepiece is awesome, congrats at getting such a great instrument! :applaude

Mike, you have so much Tobacco you should come with a government health warning! :rofl

shred

Never, ever, discount or underestimate the absolute power and glory of silly goofalicious joy!!! Always been a big part of my life. Goofin' with my buds has been the happiest thing in my life. I believe it is a man thing that most women don't get. My dear freind Bob is my favorite goof. He tells the most hillarious stories and along with his great humour he is a gifted mimic. I swear he has left me snot hangin' stupid from laughing so hard. Tear squirtin', snot hangin', gasping for breath guffaws of pure silly goofalicious joy. Sometimes I almost pee a little. Love ya too STOCK HIPPY, but you gotta step up to get in Bobs league, though one of yer youtubes came close. Goofy is a sublime state of mind.

Heh... I know what you mean... Hangin' out with the guys is pretty cool --especially if guitars are involved... Stay angry & goofy my friend :salude...

P.S. For those who have had the pleasure of getting a 2013 Reissue, (or any NGD LP etc) please post it for the one and only Big Al and keep him in your thoughts and prayers... :dude:

P.P.S. I'm curious about your 2013's.... Are they your favs now?

Last edited:

Mitchell

Haay BA.

Your a New Yorker, aren't you?
I bett that you've seen some kool gigs up there in your day.

Last edited:

rockabilly69

I'm with ya Big Al, this is one of my favorite rigs..

It's my R0 with a Boogie DC-2 in wicker with a English Greenback in it, and a Celestion Blue in the Extension Cab! Perfect stage volume!