• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Big Al Good Mojo thread

John Vasco

Hi Al,

Sincere best wishes from England. I'll never forget that telephone chat we had several years ago. Wonderful!

Here's a couple from my lefty stable.
2009 '08 Standard:

2009 '57 VOS Junior:

Big Al

I don't think this should be a sticky. It should be what it is. Sharing joy about a shared love of Lesters and some moral support from good pals and fellow enthusiasts. Please make it just a thread again, and truly I thank you all.

Stoj

Big Al,

I always enjoy reading your threads. Wishing you all the very best mate, I look fwd to reading many more of your threads in the future :salude

moonweasel

Hey Al,

Here's my "family portrait" of everything I have. The bass is really sweet, all black walnut, maybe 100 made over a couple years.

herd_labeled.jpg:original

MikeSlub

Administrator
I don't think this should be a sticky. It should be what it is. Sharing joy about a shared love of Lesters and some moral support from good pals and fellow enthusiasts. Please make it just a thread again, and truly I thank you all.

IMHO I respectfully disagree - this thread deserves sticky status again. You're not just "another" member of this Forum. But the mods are following your wishes. :2zone

Tomcat

All the best to you, Big Al! This is my '69 Conversion. I bought her in Dallas in 1992 and her name is Sue-Ellen. :biggrin:

35247255.jpg
98483078.jpg

JR-Special

I am rooting for you Big Al. If anybody can beat this it's you.

I am at work and all the photo posting sites are blocked by our firewall so I can't share. But my LP Custom and LP Special send their best get wells to ya. I will hook one of 'em up to my '60 Fender Concert-Amp and let it sing ya a song tonight.

shred

IMHO I respectfully disagree - this thread deserves sticky status again. You're not just "another" member of this Forum. But the mods are following your wishes. :2zone

+1

Big Al might be the highest profile LPF'er that doesn't own a Burst...

Hey Big Al, I know you're uncomfortable with receiving anything that smacks of 'special treatment' or 'status' on the forum, but try not to think of it so much as a reflection of your 'status' so much as a reflection of your impact. Your LPF pals just want to send their thoughts, prayers and good wishes to a great LPF contributor who helps lend this forum a sense of community. :2cool

Last edited:

Big Al

Thank you moderators. If I am high profile it's because I'm a loud mouth with strong opinions, no tact and have been able to make some of you laugh with my humor. I prefer this way more than a sticky, so please let it be. I'm sad and in a strange funk today, and I am very much regretful of my actions, or more correctly my lack of action, since my original surgery to remove my kidney. I have hidden myself away from freinds and family because of simple vanity and ego. I have stayed home and kept to myself, except for going out to see Joey B "Hey where's yer Vee?" Bonamassa. I was and am ashamed to have this illness(cancer), and I feel so diminished and less a man than I was. Pity the cocky bastard when he can't be cocky no more. I don't and didn't want to see anyone as I have beome bloated and heavy and aged from this. I wanted to be remembered as I was. So I hid away and let freindships lapse because of self pity. So stupid. So here is what I would ask. Jam with a pal and just enjoy.

goldtop0

Yep Al..........but hey big guy we ALL want to hide away from time to time....nothing new about that.......but we all shine too.......and that's something that you do really well........like showing us the way........keep it up:)

ch willie

Al, I'm sure your friends love you and want to be a part of your life. There's no need to be ashamed. It's just a bad hand you've been dealt, and there's no shame in that. All these postings attest to how you've touched people on this forum. Reach out to your loved ones and find strength and peace in love.

djangolad

Hey Big Al I warmed to you way back. I like the no Bull attitude you project. Thoughts are with you, you can beat this this!

marantz1300

Best wish's Big Al.Your a fountain of knowledge.It's a pleasure getting some sense caned in to me by you.
My 69 and 78 Tele.
SDC11127_zps7e13990c.jpg

moonweasel

Al,

Just glad your back on the forum after your hiatus. Really enjoy it.

Do you feel up to a good rant today? Lay it on us, you pick the guitar topic. :)

Last edited:

Musicman

Fvck vanity! Get out and do it while you can my friends.
398719_206087129516411_1745377417_n.jpg

Last edited:

Big Al

I can't go out and play now. The cancer has eaten away so much bone in my left humerus that the bone may break from simple usage not to mention the rather nagging problem of the constant pain I am in. Makes for a cranky Big Al. That is why I'm bummed out. I could have before now it may never happen. My own damn fault. That is why I want you guys to get with some buds, hang, play now and just enjoy it. Think of me when you do. I most likley am facing surgery on my arm and after the tumor is removed they will drill down though my shoulder and insert a titanium rod to stengthen my bone. Honestly I am scared and dreading the whole deal. Still I'll have my own truss rod CONDOM FREE!!! I'm having my own Historic Makeover!!! I love you goys and it is hard to convey how much your good will has bouyed my spirits!

shred

I can't go out and play now. The cancer has eaten away so much bone in my left humerus that the bone may break from simple usage not to mention the rather nagging problem of the constant pain I am in. Makes for a cranky Big Al. That is why I'm bummed out. I could have before now it may never happen. My own damn fault. That is why I want you guys to get with some buds, hang, play now and just enjoy it. Think of me when you do. I most likley am facing surgery on my arm and after the tumor is removed they will drill down though my shoulder and insert a titanium rod to stengthen my bone. Honestly I am scared and dreading the whole deal. Still I'll have my own truss rod CONDOM FREE!!! I'm having my own Historic Makeover!!! I love you goys and it is hard to convey how much your good will has bouyed my spirits!

Hang in there Big Al... At least you'll know for sure if the truss rod in your arm makes you more resonant and gives you better tone :biggrin:

Thanks for reminding us not to take playing for granted... I'll play a couple licks with you in mind tonight :2cool

BTW Awesome guitars guys... I love the wear on the Tele marantz1300