NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738
Results 1,481 to 1,519 of 1519

Re: The Big Al Good Mojo thread

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Seriously, JT, the humble Pro Jr is a great amp. My son just got a new Tweed Pro Jr IV. I was blown away by how really musical that amp is. A true classic Fender. Any honest time spent with one is an ear opener. Harmonicly rich, chimey bell like highs and a girthy growl when wound up. How is it a bad thing?

I used a tweed Blues Jr, dead stock, on my last East Coast Club and Festival Summer Tour and in clubs and studio dates for years before. Used right, Master up high and footswitching the Fat option covered all my needs. Other guitarist and soundmen loved that amp.

In the late 70's I used a solid state Yamaha G100112 II replacing the Blackface amps and Musicman amps I favoured. The Yamaha sounds great with a rich smooth singing voice and was the first affordable, high quality channel switching amp available at that time, I still have a pair and use them sometimes. I later got a Legend Rock n Roll 50 G50112 to use with the Yamaha in a stereo set up.

That setup of Yamaha and Legend amps was my main rig until the early 2000's when it just became easier to hump the Blues Jr as I was mostly doing Blues gigs and simplified my rig. Still the Yamaha/Legend combo got used for Rock dates and though I own and use many, many amps I'd have to say the Yamaha/Legend pair is my favorite.

Interesting stuff.

I occasionally played with a guy in an old band that used the 2X12 version of the Yamaha G100. (Lefty who played a right handed guitar upside down, but didn't flip the strings.) I always thought the Yamaha was a good sounding amp and have recommended it to others looking for a SS amp.

I recall seeing a few used Legend heads floating around Chicago in the mid to late 90's. I don't think shops could give them away back then. It's a shame I never took a flyer on one after reading your post.

I never got along with the Blues Junior, but am quite fond of the Pro Jr.

Les Paul Forum Member Cliff Gress's Avatar

Keep on keepin' on brother.

And Melody Maker is damn fine!

Had a G100 210 for years. I got tons of compliments on my hard rock tone. The parametric EQ was outstanding.

Les Paul Forum Member 57Strat777's Avatar

Big Al - I am praying for you and wish you a speedy recovery! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts over the years, which BTW have immensely helped me with choices I have made about guitars. Thank you for all that you do to help us!

Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar

Hang in there big al. Thinking of you here in NC!

OOps!! I did it again.
    Ok, everytime I survive one of these surgeries I buy a nice piece of gear to celebrate and act as an incentive to heal. This time it was a nobrainer. You al know I have some nice high end stuff and lots of workhorse utility pieces. I don't collect, my stuff was gathered over decades as tools of the trade.

Until now. I love the humble Melody Maker. I've gathered up a few singlecut Mk I versions. Including a near mint example and a clean excellent duo pickup D model, [my favourites as the D models are Fender killers. I like the Melody Maker D in Mk I, II & III versions but I's the most].

I found a near mint Epiphone Olympic D, [the epi twin to the Gibson except headstock shape and tortoise shell pickguard instead of the Gibson black], a great companion to the Gibson.

Almost the full set. So I bought a vg+ Epi Olympic from Buzzy at Lark Street and filled the hole. So now I'll have both Gibson singlecut MM's in single and duo pickup as well as matching Epiphone singlecut Olympics, single and duo pickup.

A collector has been born.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Very cool
    Lets see some pics Big Al.
    Wallace.

"you used Mr Sheen on my what?"

OOps!! I did it again.
    Ok, everytime I survive one of these surgeries I buy a nice piece of gear to celebrate and act as an incentive to heal. This time it was a nobrainer. You al know I have some nice high end stuff and lots of workhorse utility pieces. I don't collect, my stuff was gathered over decades as tools of the trade.

Until now. I love the humble Melody Maker. I've gathered up a few singlecut Mk I versions. Including a near mint example and a clean excellent duo pickup D model, [my favourites as the D models are Fender killers. I like the Melody Maker D in Mk I, II & III versions but I's the most].

I found a near mint Epiphone Olympic D, [the epi twin to the Gibson except headstock shape and tortoise shell pickguard instead of the Gibson black], a great companion to the Gibson.

Almost the full set. So I bought a vg+ Epi Olympic from Buzzy at Lark Street and filled the hole. So now I'll have both Gibson singlecut MM's in single and duo pickup as well as matching Epiphone singlecut Olympics, single and duo pickup.

Welcome!

Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar

OOps!! I did it again.

sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Very cool
    Lets see some pics Big Al.
    I'll try and get Nick to snap some. I cannot get to my computer to post, [I've been using my smart tv to post.], so I'll have him email pics to post to someone who can.

Quote Originally Posted by T.Allen View Post

Welcome!
    Yup, I've discovered my inner Slubowski!!

I'll never be able to gig again so now I'll have a different focus to accumulate gear. There is no way to know how or even if I will be able to play and it won't be until 8 weeks or so till I can come out of my mega sling and try to work that arm. I know it won't function but like before I may be able to grip the neck and hook my thumb over the fingerboard to hold on and play.

I'll never be able to gig again so now I'll have a different focus to accumulate gear. There is no way to know how or even if I will be able to play and it won't be until 8 weeks or so till I can come out of my mega sling and try to work that arm. I know it won't function but like before I may be able to grip the neck and hook my thumb over the fingerboard to hold on and play.
    That's GREAT!!! I'd love to have an MM, BUT... I need a Nocaster first... I've been itching for one for 10 years now... I just can't seem to find the one that says, "Take me home"... A lot of nice ones... Just not "The One", if ya know what I mean...

I think the main issue that prevents me from pulling the trigger, is this thing... I truly love this guitar, for all the right reasons... Whatever I hear in my head, comes out of the speakers, without even thinking about the guitar... Crazy shit...

Stop by and get reacquainted with The all NEW Fender Forum

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    That's GREAT!!! I'd love to have an MM, BUT... I need a Nocaster first... I've been itching for one for 10 years now... I just can't seem to find the one that says, "Take me home"... A lot of nice ones... Just not "The One", if ya know what I mean...

I think the main issue that prevents me from pulling the trigger, is this thing... I truly love this guitar, for all the right reasons... Whatever I hear in my head, comes out of the speakers, without even thinking about the guitar... Crazy shit...

Jeeze loueeze, Kenny, that is a spectacular Stratocaster!!

Jeeze loueeze, Kenny, that is a spectacular Stratocaster!!
    Thanks brother!!!

Details on that Strat Ken. If you don't mind,thanks.
    ​We Are The People We Have Been Waiting For

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post

You are a lucky man. Most of us are still trying to get there. But...once you do, maybe it gets a little boring and you need a new tone quest

Les Paul Forum Member

If it is anything like my old '63 Melody Maker was, those guitars have necks that hands are just meant to rest on comfortably. Its hard to describe, but others who've owned these guitars say the same thing, and I have to concur. If you needed a guitar that would give you the best shot at ease of playing, hard to make a better choice than a nice old MM.

The other thing that I think we overlook is...if we take the # of guitars we own and divide that by the amount of time we spend playing, that number might look shockingly low if it gets averaged out per month. Depending on the size of the collection, a guitar could easily have a 1000:1 ratio of sitting vs playing. I've got 8 guitars in my small collection. If I play for 10 hours in a month, that is a 1:900 ratio playing to sitting! It tells me that we have guitars for more than just playing. They are art. So even if playing is a struggle, you can still find enjoyment of them through other means. Man, hang them on the wall so you get to look at them all the time see their beauty in the moments you are not hearing their beauty.

That '71 SG Standard I posted in this thread pages and pages back...I have it sitting around the living room right now and every time it catches my eye, it makes me smile. I think about how I first came to love those guitars when I was a kid, who I listened to that played them, my old friend from high school that used to play one, waiting for years trying to find one, the cool chance of finding this one, etc ,etc. Lots of positive vibes. Hang tough my friend!

The limbic payoff is real

Hey Big Al, Iím really glad youíre back home and posting again. All the best man!! I hope you get a chance to make some glorious guitar noise soon!!

"I'm Yngwie J. Malmsteen... And I approve this message"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZxdjBXGHl8

https://youtu.be/9az1INihI2Y

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post

Hey Big Al, Iím really glad youíre back home and posting again. All the best man!! I hope you get a chance to make some glorious guitar noise soon!!
    Hey old friend!! This is by far the most difficult surgery of the 4 done on that arm. It is still 50/50 and the pain this time seems so much worse. Last two days have been very rough. I have the awful feeling that it will prove fruitless and after all this, I will lose my arm anyway.

The muscle and skin graft look bad and my chest hurts so much. I can feel how unstable the arm is, it is so different this time. For the first time I lack the confidence that I'll be ok and I am so afraid. The docs seem hesitant to offer a positive outcome and insist it is still too early and the extent of the damage and resulting loss of bone and soft tissue makes it to hard to call at this point.

It sure hurts some. Gotta just get through the days I guess. I'll be glad when they pull the drain out of my chest. I hate that thing.

Funny for the first time I feel old and I look old now. It is hard to realise that I'm not the bull of a man I was and I no longer am strong and fearless, but old and fearful.

Still, I'm here and love sharing love of music and gear with my forum bros. This thread has helped me get through some of the hardest times of my life and I can't thank you enough for that.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerD View Post
    Details on that Strat Ken. If you don't mind,thanks.
    It's a CS '56 from Wildwood. 9.5" radius fretboard...

Actually... Here's a video of Greg playing, what ended being, my guitar...

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post

^THIS! And of course congrats on the Epiphone.

I don't know how you're still keyboarding to post at this point, much less dragging MMs into doc's offices and buying vintage Olympics. I had never even heard of that model, but then anything vintage is too rich for my blood, by and large.

So does it look something like this?

Take care. Mucho mojo sent!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad View Post
    ^THIS! And of course congrats on the Epiphone.

I don't know how you're still keyboarding to post at this point, much less dragging MMs into doc's offices and buying vintage Olympics. I had never even heard of that model, but then anything vintage is too rich for my blood, by and large.

So does it look something like this?

Take care. Mucho mojo sent!
    I post using my remote on my smart TV. I bought the epi from Buzzy @ Lark Street based on pics on gbase and over the phone. I took the MM to the docs as it is slim and easy to hold and carry one handed. The excellent Yamaha THR10C can run on batteries and sounds great at low volumes. It also has a soft case with a shoulder strap so I could carry amp over right shoulder and the guitar in its chipboard case all with one arm. That was the last time I played.

That picture looks like my Epiphone Olympic D with that tortoise guard. My Gibson Melody Maker D is the same but has a black guard. The new epi is a single pickup Olympic. Great guitars, imo.

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

The one time I spoke with you on the telephone many years ago it was about possibly recarving the top of a Norlin Les Paul. I've done a bunch of those since including the top of my 2012 Traditional that is now my #1 player.

I heard you like red. Here's a re-carve of a Japanese "E-series" Squier strat to match the carve of my 1960 Strat. I finished it in Fiesta Red and it has a stupid expensive nitro guard made by Lashing guitars. Facebook made this cute little video of it:

http://ewilkins.com/guitars/fiesta_red_strat.mp4

And FFS, don't waste time replying with the smart TV!
    Last edited by Wilko; 10-14-19 at 03:33 PM.

Hey Big Al.

I’m really sorry that you’re hurting (the chest drain in particular sounds brutal) but I’m glad you’ve managed to save the arm and are back at home with your family.

I was hiking today at Cypress Mountain (it’s Canadian Thanksgiving) and was thinking about your post, since I know you like to get out into the great outdoors yourself. It’s getting cold but still no snow out here on the west coast... It was mostly sunny, with the low clouds drifting around the mountains like puffs of smoke. Saw ravens, woodpeckers, chipmunks, steller’s jays, grey jays and a pigmy owl... No bears today, although I occasionally see black bears and deer on the mountain.

I don’t really know what to say but I wish you the best in your fight and you’re in my thoughts when I’m hiking or opening a guitar case. Take care and keep on fighting Big Guy

Btw Regarding your new old guitar, Epiphones are cool. I always wanted a late 60s Epiphone Wilshire. Congrats on your score

Back in the late ‘80s, before all his Ibanez’ sig models, Paul Gilbert’s (Racer X) main guitar was a ‘69 Epiphone Wilshire. Ibanez made him a few knock offs but I always thought it would be cool to get an original.

https://racer-x-band.fandom.com/wiki/Iba-Phones
    Last edited by shred; 10-15-19 at 10:16 AM. Reason: More Epiphones

"I'm Yngwie J. Malmsteen... And I approve this message"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZxdjBXGHl8

https://youtu.be/9az1INihI2Y

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

Funny for the first time I feel old and I look old now. It is hard to realise that I'm not the bull of a man I was and I no longer am strong and fearless, but old and fearful.
    How you doing today Mate?

Strong and fearless? I've never been either to be honest, but I've fought on nonetheless giving a decent impression of both. Never fooled those that matter for one bleedin second.

Personally courage isn't freedom from fear, it's being frightened to bloody death, and still having another go at another day.

Most of my heroes are as daft as fook...allegedly.

Here's to being as daft as fook.

Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

Les Paul Forum Member gibson-r8's Avatar

[QUOTE=o

[/QUOTE]

Iíll drink to that buddy...

Brother Al, keep hangin... and give us a WTF! please... just because...

78 Les Paul Recording

Quote Originally Posted by ourmaninthenorth View Post
    How you doing today Mate?

Strong and fearless? I've never been either to be honest, but I've fought on nonetheless giving a decent impression of both. Never fooled those that matter for one bleedin second.

Personally courage isn't freedom from fear, it's being frightened to bloody death, and still having another go at another day.

Most of my heroes are as daft as fook...allegedly.

A lot of truth there. And wisdom.

Hope you are doing well Al, though I am sure wellness is more of a graduated thing anymore.

May we all be Daft As Fook.

Break a string!

Daft as fook

It's been a sigh of relief at the utmost to see you back and posting again O'l Big Bud Al!

I shall wait and have it out with you on your new GAS moods here and there reviews and opinions. Watch Out man!

I think this FORUM is once complete here!
    Old WOOD Is Good WOOD !!!

How goes the day Big 'Un?

We send Love.

How goes the day Big 'Un?

We send Love.
    Been a bad couple of weeks. Still in the mega sling, which cannot be removed for any reason. Still in stitches. Radiation, chemo and 4 major surgeries compromise the arms ability to heal. I need a Time Machine real bad. If you see H.G. Wells, send him my way.

I'd love to have a chat, sometime, Jim C has my coordinates.

Give my best to the wife, she's my inspiration.

Been a bad couple of weeks. Still in the mega sling, which cannot be removed for any reason. Still in stitches. Radiation, chemo and 4 major surgeries compromise the arms ability to heal. I need a Time Machine real bad. If you see H.G. Wells, send him my way.

I'd love to have a chat, sometime, Jim C has my coordinates.

Give my best to the wife, she's my inspiration.
    I'll get those numerals sorted from Jim, I specialise in 3 am calls that last for 3 hours, minimum.

If you didn't feel like shite before, there's a distinct possibility you will after.

Leave it with me Al, I'll get on it.

As to inspirations, here's one to another...definitely bears a re-post.

As easy as you can get it Al.

Paul.

XX

I'll get those numerals sorted from Jim, I specialise in 3 am calls that last for 3 hours, minimum.

If you didn't feel like shite before, there's a distinct possibility you will after.

Leave it with me Al, I'll get on it.

As to inspirations, here's one to another...definitely bears a re-post.

As easy as you can get it Al.

Paul.

XX
    I'd love to sit with her, in a garden, and have a proper cuppa. I love my UK mates and once planned to visit. The wife, (The Fabulous Kate), is the offspring of a Scottish mother and Irish father. A frighteningly fierce mixture!! Yet I've survived our coupling 42yrs so far. I cannot imagine a life without her and marvel that all this time together, she still completes me.

I think you understand that, full well. We are lucky and blessed men.

We thought we might spend a year or two in the UK in our younger years, but life got in the way.
    Still, it is a fun fantasy.

I rarely sleep. 3am is an old friend. Over 40 yrs of gigging, even though that's no longer possible, left a strong time cycle on my old self. Beware, I'm gabby.

We'd love to have you in the back garden Al, we'd spoil you bloody rotten. Blessings are nothing if not shared.

Summer in Manchester is on a Thursday this year, or so I'm led to believe.

I've not forgotten our call...expect me soon.

As cool as you can be my Mate.

Thinking of you Big Al - had this blast from past out in the sun

Last edited by Scott L; 12-05-19 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott L View Post
    Quick - someone get the fire extinguisher!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott L View Post
    Thinking of you Big Al - had this blast from past out in the sun

OMG!!!!! Scott, you always find the right one to post that picks me up. What a splendid blister figure. Almost a burl. The color is amazing and just perfect!!

Big Al - It's my absolute honor and pleasure!

We'd love to have you in the back garden Al, we'd spoil you bloody rotten. Blessings are nothing if not shared.

Summer in Manchester is on a Thursday this year, or so I'm led to believe.

I've not forgotten our call...expect me soon.

As cool as you can be my Mate.

Fook! All the Wednesday flights are booked!