• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Big Al Good Mojo thread

J T

Sending positive energy you way!

Played my Darkburst today through my Komet and the Roccaforte 4x12 cab loaded with Eminence Patriots. It made the hair on my neck stand up. Man that sounded great! Need to do more of that.

Thought of you.

ch willie

Big Al, with pics of all those beautiful guitars, you need the occasional bass photo. Here's my 2018 Fender AmPro Precision Bass. It can't help it but play Pink Floyd and The Beatles all day but loves a good blues jam as well.

Rock on, Al. We all love you.

49418638756_bd50a6b00d_b.jpg

John Vasco

Hi Al.

Just popped in to say I hope all is going OK with you.

To make you laugh, here's a recent shot of me. Song is 'Around and around'. I'm doing the outro riffs, and Barrie always says 'You'll make a balls of it this time, mate!' Never do, but we have a good laugh. When we gig, we enjoy it! Note how the binding has yellowed beautifully on the '91 Custom! We both play through Albion Gulfstream15 amps. Absolutely superb when the pre-amp is pushed just to the point of breaking up!

ljJBcNU.jpg

Take care, stay safe, my friend.

Last edited:

Big Al

Hi Al.

Just popped in to say I hope all is going OK with you.

To make you laugh, here's a recent shot of me. Song is 'Around and around'. I'm doing the outro riffs, and Barrie always says 'You'll make a balls of it this time, mate!' Never do, but we have a good laugh. When we gig, we enjoy it! Note how the binding has yellowed beautifully on the '91 Custom! We both play through Albion Gulfstream15 amps. Absolutely superb when the pre-amp is pushed just to the point of breaking up!

ljJBcNU.jpg

Take care, stay safe, my friend.

Thanks, my good friend John. Wish I had good news to share but this slow motion dying thing is killin' me.:laugh2::dang

brandtkronholm

ourmaninthenorth

I can't even pretend to know what you're going through Big 'Un.

But I'm not pretending when I say how much I hate this anvil you're being battered on.

As best as you can Mate....

My Girl speaks better than me, same picture as you've seen before, same love sent.

ySiw1Yp.jpg

Big Al

I can't even pretend to know what you're going through Big 'Un.

But I'm not pretending when I say how much I hate this anvil you're being battered on.

As best as you can Mate....

My Girl speaks better than me, same picture as you've seen before, same love sent.

ySiw1Yp.jpg

I'm in hell. I do not possess her strength, nor grace and have found my courage lacking. I'll try to face this as there is no refuge to flee to. Scared, scarred and in considerable pain.

Six months past my last major surgery, which was horrible and I'm still in recovery, changing bloody bandages every day. Thursday, when changing the dressing on the muscle flap I was greeted by the sight of shiny surgical steel, about as wide as a half dollar, protruding thru the torn skin atop my shoulder.

Here we go AGAIN!!!!!

I'm off to see the surgeon now, so I'll be away for awhile. Nick, my son will keep you posted.

ourmaninthenorth

Scared, scarred and in considerable pain.

...and yet you have held the ground to this point, fought to a standstill.

Nothing wrong with your spine Al, not a goddamn bloody thing.

I hope for continued and returning strength for the fight back home, people are waiting for you there.

Be bold, bloody and resolute my Mate.

XX

Big Al

Yes

We're here Al.

THIS MEANS MORE TO ME THAN YOU CAN KNOW

I spent a long, painful and frustrating day with my surgical team yesterday. The implant that replaced my left humerus is unstable and cannot be fixed. Two solutions remain. One, amputation of the arm, which I rejected, was claimed to eliminate my present issues and arm pain. Yeah, no arm, no pain. :bigal

The only remaining surgical solution is uncoventional and radical. Complete surgical removal of the implant, repair of the large wound, leaving me boneless from shoulder to elbow. I would not be able to use my arm! There will be nothing connecting my elbow to my shoulder. NOTHING!!!:bigal:bigal except skin and soft tissue!!

I had Nick bring me home so I could consider this. It is hard for me to comprehend this. My forearm will be hanging, only connected by skin and soft tissue to the shoulder. They claim my hand may still work, but the arm will not.

Some choice!! I am so confused. The benefit of an arm with no humerus or internal frame to connect and support my forearm eludes me. It's only appeal is it's not amputation.

J.D.

I've written, deleted, and re-written this post over and over as I just can't put into words the sadness I am feeling for you after reading your post, Al.

ourmaninthenorth

Same here JD.

Everything read back as just simply bloody stupid.

So, a question Al; if in doubt ask a bleedin question...

Will removing the metal significantly reduce the horrendous pain you're being forced to endure, at the same time as preserving the arm as a limb?

If there's a thing You, Kate or Nick need that you think I can help with, ask. Even if it's just a kind word, I have one or two of them kicking around going spare.

Don't forget we've still got that talking competition to look forward to....

As easy as you can Big 'Un.

XX

renderit

Shit!

Can they get you a exoskeleton type sleeve if they do that so you can still play and/or render it usable?

corpse

You have always marched on- you will continue to. Sooner or later you have to come to acceptance- that doesn't mean stop marching. You have today- you have Nick and you have Kathy. You will always be able to get some of your ya-yas out with tinkering.
I know the folks at Strong have done their most- but I wonder about a hospital that has more experience with radical tissue loss/structure damage- like a military hospital.

When your faith stumbles Big Al you can borrow mine.