• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Big Al Good Mojo thread

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
Anyone who has people that love him hasn't lost. God bless you, Al

moonweasel

Al, you've been dealt a shit hand, and you are fighting it with honor and humor. That's an inspiring thing to me, and I won't ever forget it. Fight on, LPF brother!

Big Al

Well you'll miss me when I'm gone.

I know I'm gonna miss you flippin' talented, passionate bastids!!! I love the players here. Believe it or not I click every link I see and I enjoy every flippin one,( even the head scratchin SH vids), always getting something from them. Thank you guys.

MikeSlub

Administrator
Big Al, you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers, along with your family. Keep fighting and keep us in stitches with your posts! I have read many of your posts to my wife (which she also finds hilarious) and have talked about you a lot. Peace to you from me and the entire Slubowski family. :dude: :dude:

Progrocker111

Keep fighting Big Al, you are one of the most respected and favourite members here to me. I wish you really really good luck. :2zone :)

Y

yeti

Well you'll miss me when I'm gone.

I know I'm gonna miss you flippin' talented, passionate bastids!!! I love the players here. Believe it or not I click every link I see and I enjoy every flippin one,( even the head scratchin SH vids), always getting something from them. Thank you guys.

Hi, Al
I'll keep changing my links for your and my own entertainment (or torture, depends on your sensibilities) but I have to wonder: Where are YOUR links? I'd love to hear me some BIG AL rockin out. There has to be something you can post/ link to:bigal

"Hol di kregge", as they say back home:jim

Big Al

Hi, Al
I'll keep changing my links for your and my own entertainment (or torture, depends on your sensibilities) but I have to wonder: Where are YOUR links? I'd love to hear me some BIG AL rockin out. There has to be something you can post/ link to:bigal

"Hol di kregge", as they say back home:jim

That's a personal quirk of mine that is now biting me in the butt. I've never been one to document my life with photo's. Odd, as I am from George Eastmans home. I was a nomad for years. A full time gigging Roadhouse/Jukejoint/Club musician. I lived everywhere and nowhere. Things I had were lost or stolen.

I just wasn't a photo guy. Same with music. I never saved CD's or records I was on. I have very little here now. I have reached out to the studios and people I've worked with to see if I can get copies. An old bass player from my band, Rambunctious, in Carson City, NV put up some late 70's stuff on youtube I found by accident once.

I've found some old cassettes. The two track mix reel tapes were ruined when a studio tried to transfer to DAT. I contacted some of the Festivals I played as I remember lots of filming, but so far no luck.

I've always been of the moment. I love playing. Both for the pleasure of others and the pleasure I get.

My friends think I should make some before I can't. I cannot play as I once did. I have severe nerve neuropathy in my hands and feet. I DO PLAY!, but it is painful and sometimes I bleed. One of the delightful side effects from Sutent is it effects nerves and skin. I get deep cracks between my fingers and blisters. Same for my feet. I cannot strut as I once did, and often need a cane. I have fallen twice and refractured my arm. It always hurts now but thanks to the truss rod I still can play. But I do not sound as good as I did. I don't look as good either. My hair is turnig white from the chemo and I am fat and bloated.

I thought I might get a set up to record here and share some amazing sounding things I have found. I also know and expect to be torn to shreds if I do. Something I'd enjoy!!

Honestly though, I'm poor, never had a lot of dough, but I have been able to find really good sounding and playing gear that is available for all budgets. I love my high end gear. I worked hard for it. But that doesent negate the awsome value in my other things.

I remember some 20 years ago being asked why I used old Jrs and Melodymakers when I had such nice gear, meaning Les Pauls and such. Steve Craw can tell you. When I go on about how I love Norlin Era Les Pauls or Jrs and melodymakers, industrial tube pa heads and certain solid state amps as well as Silverfaced Fenders, I MEAN IT.

No promises but I will try, maybe I can get Steve or Poon to help

CharlieS

Hey, BA--I'm glad you're hanging on and reminding us you're still in the game. Your unwillingness to give up inspires me. I hope you can enjoy every moment you have, because I sure enjoy you.:salude

Direstraits

Al, you've been dealt a shit hand, and you are fighting it with honor and humor. That's an inspiring thing to me, and I won't ever forget it. Fight on, LPF brother!

+1. I just don't have the words. I'm sure we're all thinking of you Al.

Rock on.

joemags54

Posted this once before but seems appropriate for Big Al's Norlin affection...

The Real Norlin Experience for those that don't get it.......

Last month I had to fly up to Miami for a few days to pick up some items for a new business and I decided on a whim to book a hotel right on Ocean Drive in South Beach. When I wasn't shopping and shipping stuff out, I basically kicked back going bar to bar for live music listening to bands. Lots of awesome old Fenders, the usual parade of modern day shred guitars, and plenty of exotics. As I sat there sipping, eating and thinking that I had seen just heard about every interesting guitar under the sun suddenly a deep, ominous, menacing rumble made everyone stop what they were doing. I turned to see a player on stage with GoldTop Les Paul with a huge headstock, reliced bodywork, pancaked to the wall just swaggering across a stage - like a hulking silverback gorilla, ballz swinging, belching, coughing, pharting and spitting with sheer arrogance and impunity - it sounded like a nitro funny car, shaking the ground and setting off alarms as it rumbled. The sound was hair raising. Everyone, even the custom bikers, stared in uneasy silence and the owners sitting next to the Ferrari and Lambo basking in the adulation quietly turned and looked the other way much like smaller dogs, wise enough not to risk making eye contact with the growling, strutting alpha-male. After the song was done, the player disappeared from view and it was safe again, everything slowly returned to normal, but I was branded with the memory of one of the meanest, nastiest guitars I ever heard on a public street.

THAT is Norlin.

I'm a product of the 70's and 80's and in those 20 years I can't remember a single time I ever heard someone slamming these guitars. Never heard the word Norlin......ever. We just called them Les Pauls and those of us that we're lucky enough to own them held them in high regard.

Here is my 1970 GT. I guess haters can go on and hate. I just don't get it.

gt.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed your post... It conjured up so much imagery, I felt I was right there having a drink. :salude And Al, rest easy. Through your thoughtful and provocative posts, You have connected with many, here, who think quite fondly of you, and appreciate your contributions.

Cliff Gress

Al I hope you're enjoying those 2013's!!! I'm jealous. Cool Yeti found that link.

Salute!

Black58

Truth is something that I've always lived by.
I even have the word truth, in cuneiform, tattooed over my heart.
I carry stones in my pocket, for various reasons/reminders.
If'n I ever get lazy and/or stray from the truth,
consider yerself a stone I'll always carry, BigAl.

:salude