• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Big Al Good Mojo thread

shred

1979 Les Paul KM:
1979_Gibson_Les_Paul_KM_Kalamazoo_Model_Dark_Sunburst.JPG

Just an incredible Norlin :dude:

Beautiful Mike... :salude

Big Al

Mike has the most awesome assembledges of notable guitars, period!!! And he sees the value and worth in all types from all eras. Something that would benefit most of us is Mikes open ears and appreciation for what something IS, not dismiss it for what it isn't!!

Mike I cannot thank you enough. Now when you gonna come clean and admit you have The Beano and 58 Moderne??

shred

I love the Norlin era.. Any 2 piece flame top Norlin is like the holy grail to me --especially in T burst... As much as I appreciate the Heritage '80 thang, when I see 2 piece flame top 70's Norlins... :dude:

Now if I can just find one with a factory Bigsby :headbange

garywright

Al ...are you able to check the email addy you have listed on your profile ?

Big Al

Al ...are you able to check the email addy you have listed on your profile ?

Yes, but not as often as I should. I started my new chemo therapy, and I also get a shot in the belly, EVERY FRIGGIN DAY!!!!! I ask how long this treatment will be and they said for however long I can live. Looks like Big Al's Big Belly is gonna be blue!

I try to go upstairs and check my computer.

goldtop0

Yes, but not as often as I should. I started my new chemo therapy, and I also get a shot in the belly, EVERY FRIGGIN DAY!!!!! I ask how long this treatment will be and they said for however long I can live. Looks like Big Al's Big Belly is gonna be blue!

So I take it you're not practicing high jump in the shower right now Al:lol
All the best buddy.

Big Al

So I take it you're not practicing high jump in the shower right now Al:lol
All the best buddy.

Couldn't jump if I wanted to. Hard enough to walk somedays without my cane.
I did get in some fly fishing, something I enjoy very much. I had the BEST day in a long time. I caught and released 3 King salmon, two Browns and a Rainbow that was over 15lbs and just magnificent.

The fishing was so good I broke out the 3 weight and landed a couple of more Browns.

I hope I can get out for the Steelhead run in February/March. See how I feel then.

shred

So sorry to hear that.

I'm glad you're getting to enjoy some fishing and guitars though :jim

Last edited:

corpse

Couldn't jump if I wanted to. Hard enough to walk somedays without my cane.
I did get in some fly fishing, something I enjoy very much. I had the BEST day in a long time. I caught and released 3 King salmon, two Browns and a Rainbow that was over 15lbs and just magnificent.

The fishing was so good I broke out the 3 weight and landed a couple of more Browns.

I hope I can get out for the Steelhead run in February/March. See how I feel then.

I finished some of those creeks in Pittsford years ago. Used ultra lite gear an lost a bunch of browns completely unprepared. Did get a bunch OD small native Brooke's though. Great spot right near I 90.

moonweasel

Al, do you have wireless internet set up in your house? I only have seriously broken old laptops laying around; I wish I had one with wireless built in that worked, I'd just mail it to ya. Stairs suck, I helped my mom up and down them when she had cancer.

FYI, if you wanted some consultation on setting up a wireless network so you don't have to do the stairs, we traded emails a while back, just drop me a line ( my user name at hotmail). Would be happy to help. I could point you to the right devices etc, would be happy to. Routers are about $25, wireless laptops are about $400, or maybe a relative has one laying around etc. I could help you set it up over the phone? I may have a router laying around.

Here's a random fun pic for ya, Les holding his modified 69 Deluxe. I have pics of him with his stock one, but he ain't smiling in that one. :) This modded one had a hi/lo impedance circuit in it. Al, I am sure you will LOVE this, people paid TWICE as much for the stock one than for this awesome, modded beauty that he seemed to enjoy more. ugh!

les8368xx.jpg

Mitchell

.... :dude: :dude: :dude:

1970goldielux

Posted this once before but seems appropriate for Big Al's Norlin affection...

The Real Norlin Experience for those that don't get it.......

Last month I had to fly up to Miami for a few days to pick up some items for a new business and I decided on a whim to book a hotel right on Ocean Drive in South Beach. When I wasn't shopping and shipping stuff out, I basically kicked back going bar to bar for live music listening to bands. Lots of awesome old Fenders, the usual parade of modern day shred guitars, and plenty of exotics. As I sat there sipping, eating and thinking that I had seen just heard about every interesting guitar under the sun suddenly a deep, ominous, menacing rumble made everyone stop what they were doing. I turned to see a player on stage with GoldTop Les Paul with a huge headstock, reliced bodywork, pancaked to the wall just swaggering across a stage - like a hulking silverback gorilla, ballz swinging, belching, coughing, pharting and spitting with sheer arrogance and impunity - it sounded like a nitro funny car, shaking the ground and setting off alarms as it rumbled. The sound was hair raising. Everyone, even the custom bikers, stared in uneasy silence and the owners sitting next to the Ferrari and Lambo basking in the adulation quietly turned and looked the other way much like smaller dogs, wise enough not to risk making eye contact with the growling, strutting alpha-male. After the song was done, the player disappeared from view and it was safe again, everything slowly returned to normal, but I was branded with the memory of one of the meanest, nastiest guitars I ever heard on a public street.

THAT is Norlin.

I'm a product of the 70's and 80's and in those 20 years I can't remember a single time I ever heard someone slamming these guitars. Never heard the word Norlin......ever. We just called them Les Pauls and those of us that we're lucky enough to own them held them in high regard.

Here is my 1970 GT. I guess haters can go on and hate. I just don't get it.

gt.jpg

Big Al

Posted this once before but seems appropriate for Big Al's Norlin affection...

The Real Norlin Experience for those that don't get it.......

Last month I had to fly up to Miami for a few days to pick up some items for a new business and I decided on a whim to book a hotel right on Ocean Drive in South Beach. When I wasn't shopping and shipping stuff out, I basically kicked back going bar to bar for live music listening to bands. Lots of awesome old Fenders, the usual parade of modern day shred guitars, and plenty of exotics. As I sat there sipping, eating and thinking that I had seen just heard about every interesting guitar under the sun suddenly a deep, ominous, menacing rumble made everyone stop what they were doing. I turned to see a player on stage with GoldTop Les Paul with a huge headstock, reliced bodywork, pancaked to the wall just swaggering across a stage - like a hulking silverback gorilla, ballz swinging, belching, coughing, pharting and spitting with sheer arrogance and impunity - it sounded like a nitro funny car, shaking the ground and setting off alarms as it rumbled. The sound was hair raising. Everyone, even the custom bikers, stared in uneasy silence and the owners sitting next to the Ferrari and Lambo basking in the adulation quietly turned and looked the other way much like smaller dogs, wise enough not to risk making eye contact with the growling, strutting alpha-male. After the song was done, the player disappeared from view and it was safe again, everything slowly returned to normal, but I was branded with the memory of one of the meanest, nastiest guitars I ever heard on a public street.

THAT is Norlin.

I'm a product of the 70's and 80's and in those 20 years I can't remember a single time I ever heard someone slamming these guitars. Never heard the word Norlin......ever. We just called them Les Pauls and those of us that we're lucky enough to own them held them in high regard.

Here is my 1970 GT. I guess haters can go on and hate. I just don't get it.

gt.jpg

That's the friggin' point right there. They were fine guitars and i've played and heard some real doozies, just crackerjack Les Pauls in any context. How sad it has become when we turn our noses up and slam and belittle such fine guitars because they do not fit some 50's ideal.
Good to see so many with open minds and open ears that judge these for what they are and not for what they are not.

renderit

I don't agree with you much on wood, but I will give you this. Norlins can be had cheap. I never had one that did not sustain for DAYS. I never had one that did not leave my shoulder crying because of the weight. I never had one that sounded off the charts great. BUT I NEVER HAD ONE THAT SOUNDED BAD. Indeed, I never owned one that did not sound good, but just not what I was looking for. I will buy more. I agree that they are the greatest unrealized bargain out there. Until recently I had no interest in "modern" Pauls. Now I finally own one because it spoke to me. If the wife had not commented on the looks I would not have gone back and tried it. I try EVERY Norlin I see. They are getting better with age, or maybe I am getting fonder of them. I don't know.

I am automatically turned off by those who loftily use the term "sheeple" to describe those who don't agree with them. I generally find them to be lofty airheads who blindly follow their chosen path against the "norm" while having the "alpha dog" personality I blindly abhor. See that? The same thing in the passive mode....

But you seem to be different. You are thought provoking. Concentrate on beating this thing. You can do it. We need the views you express here. Though I come and go with the years your comments are needed. Jesters are a dime a dozen. Zealots are a pence a dozen. You are a million bucks.

shred

You are thought provoking. Concentrate on beating this thing. You can do it. We need the views you express here. Though I come and go with the years your comments are needed. Jesters are a dime a dozen. Zealots are a pence a dozen. You are a million bucks.

+1

Keep on keepin on... :dude:

Last edited:

shred

Hey Big Al. Really appreciating your posts of late... Tell the truth and rock on :dude:

Big Al

I am losing this fight. I was dropped from the Cancer Study at Roswel because I was bleeding too much and it was killing me faster than the C. I must have impressed the Doctor though, as he is still treating me off study. He told me I fight harder than any patient he's had and make him and the staff laugh with my bad jokes and up looking attitude.

So I remain on the Sutent drug. I am off the others, still I take many doses of many hard ass meds thoughout the days. My life at this point is measured by pill bottles. It has been hard, for sure, but dealing with a terminal condition is a mind fuck.

I was supposed to be dead by now.
Oops, sorry guy's I never was good at supposed to be's.

I'm not going easy. I know I can't beat this, but I will be damned if I let it beat me. Being fiesty on the forum helps me feel present. People remember the those that wind them up.