NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

The Big Al Good Mojo thread

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I want to thank everyone for the nice things posted. It means alot too me, and it helps my mood, I want to win. I don't think I can beat it at this point, but in 2007 I was told I was in stage 4 Renal Cancer and after my kidney was removed I was told to prepare for my death. I was given about a year to live.

I freakin' blew their minds. I endured a 54 week Drug Chemo trial and worked at Whirlwind the whole time, against advise from everyone.

And still I remain.

Now it is Deja Vu all over again as I have been given the same dire news. Terminal, no cure and limited treatment options. I will have to prove them wrong again and extend my stay.

The people at Whirlwind and Michael in particular were supportive and helpful in every way, and though I can no longer work I am so proud to have been part of that company and its great people. I'd add that nobody does it better, and they are number 1 IMO.

My most fervent hope was to play on stage one last time, at least. I was working up a set list and lining up musician friends for this to happen. I don't know if that will now.

Maybe I can get together with Steve Craw, who has been a cool friend and fellow music nut that I always enjoy being with. I love his enthusiasm for the Les Paul and enjoyable banter. Steve if I can I will have you over for one last jam.

LA Man, I love your posts and enjoyed our debates. We are not that far off in our thinking, my friend.

I have often thought of myself as a Gadfly, someone to poke and prod orthodoxy, and provoke arguments. Even if I agreed with others, I would take an opposite POV to force argument to defend and explain the points being debated.

The Sheeple as I call them need to be shaken up sometimes, and busting up a flock of Sheeple and Lamb brains has given me much pleasure.

Opposite opinions are valid, and if strongly held and deeply felt are always correct. It is the blind adherence to a popular ideal that brings out the Battlen' Big Al! Sometimes it seems that each and everyone of us must have the same guitar, pickups and plastic, aged the same way and played through the same amp. How uniformly dull that is.

Makes a fella fall asleep.

Now the fact that many of us have the same ideal, or desire in a guitar isn't bad. But be careful not to overlook others with different tastes and visions of their ideal. Too often I see things like Clown Burst, Norlin Dogs, Pink Plastic, Non Authentic Flame??? and other things that become negatives and are promoted here on this web site where it becomes an accepted thing that becomes shunned and outcast.

Amish Anal Vintage Luddite thinking at it's worst.

It is all good!!!

I have freinds that lost their minds when I put Bigsbys on my Les Pauls. Some questioned why I would prefer to play my worn brown all mahogany Les Paul Studio, when I have so many "cooler" guitars to use. I love it when I show off one of my favor axes and have someone say something like the color is wrong, the plastic isn't authentic or I should use some other pickups. REALLY????

That kind of stuff keeps me alive. I get too cranky to die. Sometimes I read things that just make me sad. But Cranky Big Al is an alive Big Al.

And still I remain.

Now I am more focused on passing along any cool things that I can to those that care.

I cannot stress enough the collected wisdom and knowledge that is contained in the members here. I have learned so much and made some very good friends. Some like Mike Slubowski, have been excellent. Mike is the true gem of this place, his collection and knowledge is way more vast than he lets on, and though low key, he is a major guru in ALL things Les Paul, not just some small area, but all encompassing. His enthusiastic love and unbounded appreciation for this instrument has been a source of much inspiration to me. Mr. Mike is the one person I would most like jam and play with. Mike, I love ya, and thank you so much for all the quiet little things you have done for me, I will never forget your generosity!!!!

Anyway this is getting maudlin and I don't want to do that.

I plan to remain.

I may not get to the computer as much, but I do drop in on my Playstation which is easy for me to access now. Posting on that thing is a bitch though, but playing Red Dead Redemption makes up for it, Yee Haww!!!!

Keep the joy in your playing and music, keep open mind and ears and go your own way!!

Who's your Buddy? Who's your Pal??
    http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=184639

Anyone who's had the pleasure of reading Big Al's epic posts, please post a guitar(s) in his honor and keep him in your thoughts and prayers... Big Al, you've been an inspiration to me (and probably many other LPF'ers) and I know you hate the 'fuss', but you're not only 'famous' but beloved (on this forum anyway), so please just grudgingly accept the LPF love & good mojo & don't forget to get well soon

Here are some Norlins for you Big Al... Your passionate defense of the Norlin era inspired me to collect these beauties in the first place... Rock on & on & on & on & on etc.... Where's my infinity emoticon?

Last edited by shred; 03-17-13 at 09:10 PM.

"I'm Yngwie J. Malmsteen... And I approve this message"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZxdjBXGHl8

https://youtu.be/9az1INihI2Y

Re: The Big Al Good Mojo thread

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...0/100_4560.jpg

This is Xena(2003 Braz R0)which as some of you will know was my first Historic LP( I bought her into NZ from the US in late '03).
    She was named care of Big Al, as we had discussed(after I joined up here in Aug '03) the pros(and very few cons) of all things Les Paul and NZ,in fact Al had written 'Zena Warrior Princess' as the name of the TV series shown in the US........... which after many many questions and finding out this and that lead to my pulling the trigger and buying my first ever good LP(pictured as she is with top hats now).
    Thanks big fella and God bless ya............there's still a ways to go yet my friend

Les Paul Forum Member Red Baron's Avatar

Big Al ...I might not know your on a personal level but I love reading reading your insightful posts and I really do like your style. You shoot from the hip and tell it exactly how you see things, in a way that I can relate to... 100% logical but with a humorous and cheeky appeal.

You're a larger than life character Big Al and I sincerely wish you all the very best!

Thanks for posting... Guys have have been posting their good wishes in the specialty area, but since Big Al decided to go public with his illness, I feel everyone should have the opportunity to wish Big Al all the best in the public/non member area... Say a prayer, keep him in your thoughts & play a couple licks for the Big Guy today

Posting my current favorite git for you, Big Al. No matter what happens, you're a winner.

Jonathan

A big influence on my Les Paul experience as well as knowing how to contribute to the overall conversation. I never read him as pandering nor did he ever argue with malice.

A true class act who isn't going anywhere.

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

Graceful idea Shred...

Best to Big Al from England. As easy as you can get it pal.

A pic of an amazing guitar, to wish you an amazing recovery.

- 2006 Les Paul Historic R4 Oxblood
    - 2012 ES-330TDVB
    - 1995 Les Paul Studio Ebony with B7 Bigsby

There is NO substitute for Loudness.

Take care, all is good indeed! One on-line memory - among many - is how you helped me distinguish between a Biter and a Moaner.

With tone and oneness, Mike

Thanks for starting this thread, Shred. I've known Al for many years, and feel very sad for my friend and tone guru.
    When I took delivery of my Rossington (pictured below) I didn't commit to keeping it until it got the "Big Al Seal of Approval", and you'd better believe that Al had something to say about my selling it five years later!

Not a Norlin, but best of luck to Big Al.
    Last edited by Doctor Butcher; 03-18-13 at 05:35 PM.

All Access/Backstage Pass Progrocker111's Avatar
    small country full of nice women and good beer

I love to read your great posts Big Al, you were one of my most favourite members of this forum. You gave me great knowledge especially of Norlin era Les Pauls and i have had many of them since i am member here. Be strong

Here is my Norlin for you

My diagnosis is: Hiwatt and Norlinphilia

2014 Gibson Les Paul Junior 1957 Custom Shop
    1972 Hiwatt DR103, 1972 Hiwatt SE4122

I don't have a Norlin yet but here's the reason I joined this forum. Big Al's been very helpful to me and entertaining as well. I can only hope this is only a stumble on the road of life big guy. Here's to one of the good guys on the LPF!

yeti

hey, Al
    Zorro was here, asking to see you.

Wow! What nice guitars. It is really cool to see such sweet Customs. I feel better already and am ready for my bone scan in the morning.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Soldier on brother Al !!

Your avatar is a classic

Here's one for you !

All the best Al !!
    Old WOOD Is Good WOOD !!!

Les Paul Forum Member winered82's Avatar

You better get well soon BigAl. I lost too many cherished ones these past few weeks, I don't need to lose one of my favourite LPF members also. Is it selfish? Yes, and so what?
    I look forward to reading your prose for yet another few years

Les Paul Forum Member Heritage 80's Avatar

Best wishes Big Al! You probably don't remember, but you gave me the courage (and guidance and instructions) to swap out my tired Shaw's for Timbuckers, 500K pots and black Beauty caps in my trusty rusty H80 (I'm still about as adept with a soldering iron as a lump of coal). I hope your tests go well, and keep on being as cranky as hell !!

Hey, BA--keep on fighting! I wish you all the best and want to hang around a while. I'm sorry to say I don't have any pics of my one new Norlin...a LPC in Silverburst.

Great guitars guys. Thanks for posting

When I first joined the forum I didn't know anything about LP's. I had just bought my first for a gig where a pink superstrat just wasn't going to cut it. It was a 1970 Norlin GT and I didn't know anything about pancake bodies etc, but I really liked it... Anyway, I kept seeing all these threads about how inferior Norlins are etc, which wasn't my experience at all... But, there was this very opinionated guy who would take on the naysayers in a colorful and humorous way and put them in their place. That person was of course Big Al. His posts made a lot of sense to me and were also highly entertaining. It was a blow to the LPF (IMO anyway) when he stopped posting due to illness. Even in his absence, every now and then a new forum member searching the archives, would have pleasure of discovering a Big Al post and bump the thread. I think that's pretty cool. There are lots of guys I enjoy reading on the LPF, but Big Al's passion and style for all things LP is hard to beat.

Big Al's trick-or-treat return on Halloween gave the LPF a much needed shot in the arm (or should that read: A kick in the ass) and I hope it continues. I don't know how much collective good will/karma/prayer helps, but it certainly can't hurt. In any case, I wanted to show my appreciation for Big Al's contributions to the LPF and let him know he's got a ton of guys on his side, pulling for him. Stay positive Big Al

BTW I posted this in the Sunburst pub so guys can post anything from a Studio to Historic to Vintage and of course Norlins too...
    Last edited by shred; 03-19-13 at 02:07 PM.

Wow! What nice guitars. It is really cool to see such sweet Customs. I feel better already and am ready for my bone scan in the morning.
    Good luck Big Al

I hope you get some positive news --including the ability to keep playing your guitar through all this. Thanks again

Les Paul Forum Member

Although we've never met, you are a big reason I lurked here and finally joined when I got my first home computer in '06. I've always enjoyed your no-nonsense commentary and "WTF", "tell it like it be" attitude.

My prayers and thoughts are with you. Here's hoping I'll be able to read your insightful, no-nonsense comments here for years to come. You've touched the lives of many through this forum, and we're all the richer for having known you.

Les Paul Forum Member

Speedy and thorough recovery. I always appreciate your straight forward right-between-the-eyes style. Let's have many more years of that.

Hope all goes well Big Al.Shred very thoughtful of you to post this thread. Al good luck to you and a good luck guitar to go with it.Mike B.
    Last edited by mbowen; 03-29-13 at 09:54 AM.

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

All the best to you Big Al.

I've pared down my collection quite a bit in the last few years. I've very much enjoyed threads on here with you during the last over 10 years!

Here's my only real Les Paul that I have left. 1956 converted by me and a real good luthier that I know:

I know of at least one that you shot at Gibson, right?

Godspeed, Big Al. I've learned so much from you over the years, laughed too.

As far as guitars in tribute, here's Steve Craw's favorite - Steve - anytime you want to use it, just call.

Best,
    Rob

Thanks everyone, it has helped. But enough with the eulogies allready!!! Wait till I'm gone, OK? Now AWESOME GUITFIDDLES!!!! Shred, you are a real pal but an even better musician with an open mind as well as ears. Thank you. I'm on the playstation so I'll edit when I can go upstairs to my computer. Mrs Big AL has forbiden any stair climbing right now for me. If get things wrong I'll fix later. The ES330 is great. MBOWEN(?) what a pretty LP . I am a huge fiddleback nut and it is my favorite figure. WILKO!!!! old freind that LP so suits you!! I am so glad for you! Gotto go I am a little bit sore and tired.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Big Al, it's been really great to have you back.

Here's a couple in you honor--sorry, the plastic is all the wrong color on both!

'02 Gibson LP '58 CA
    '03 Gibson Firebird CS Non-Reverse
    '05 Gibson LP '54
    '06 Gibson LP '58 VOS
    '12 Squier Bullet Strat
    '14 Squier '51
    '14 Epiphone Genesis Pro
    '92 Washburn D17SCE
    '70s Val Dez Classical
    5F1A Tweed
    V Series V1512
    #698 THD Univalve
    Crate V5 (OpAmp Mod)
    Crate V33 (SLO Mod)

Open your eyes, ears and mind.

Al, as long as I have been on the LPF, I have enjoyed reading your posts, and when you dropped off of the radar years ago, I just thought you had had enough of some of the silly BS, but hate to hear it was due to health matters. You are obviously strong-willed. I hope that and your passion for all things music pulls you through this hard time. I'll be praying for you bro.
    "So I let the poison go, 'cause baby I always know it'll be there for me"

i get turned on by a broken neck...

Big Al, another RC stage 4 fighter here. I pray that things turn back around for you.

I've got no Norlins, and I don't have a good pic of my "just a Standard" 2007 Lightburst. Cream-T pickups, Faber bridge and tailpiece hardware. It's all the Les Paul I need. But you might get a kick out of the copper jack plate that my wife made for me after I bitched and moaned about the cheapass plastic parts that break so easily....
    Last edited by omboy; 03-20-13 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ES335TD View Post
    Godspeed, Big Al. I've learned so much from you over the years, laughed too.

As far as guitars in tribute, here's Steve Craw's favorite - Steve - anytime you want to use it, just call.

Best,
    Rob

Rob," where and when"?, is all I can say.

Quote Originally Posted by stock_hippie View Post
    You're holding the wrong kind of neck
    'then she made me play games I didn't wanna play...'
    Fer fux sake! Duane's left and Dickey's right!

Les Paul Forum Member Beano Geno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stock_hippie View Post

Les Paul Forum Member

I' m glad you came back and hope you can contribute to this forum for many years to come.

Thanks everyone, it has helped. But enough with the eulogies allready!!! Wait till I'm gone, OK? Now AWESOME GUITFIDDLES!!!! Shred, you are a real pal but an even better musician with an open mind as well as ears. Thank you. I'm on the playstation so I'll edit when I can go upstairs to my computer. Mrs Big AL has forbiden any stair climbing right now for me. If get things wrong I'll fix later. The ES330 is great. MBOWEN(?) what a pretty LP . I am a huge fiddleback nut and it is my favorite figure. WILKO!!!! old freind that LP so suits you!! I am so glad for you! Gotto go I am a little bit sore and tired.
    Heh, I promise, no eulogies. I'm not writing you off yet... Just keep following Dr. Mrs Big Al's orders

A very special thanks for the kind words, it's very much appreciated. There are a lot of great guys on the LPF and I've learned a ton about LP's in my time here --not to mention the enlightening and entertaining discussions on every topic under the sun... Take care of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by omboy View Post
    Big Al, another RC stage 4 fighter here. I pray that things turn back around for you.

I've got no Norlins, and I don't have a good pic of my "just a Standard" 2007 Lightburst. Cream-T pickups, Faber bridge and tailpiece hardware. It's all the Les Paul I need. But you might get a kick out of the copper jack plate that my wife made for me after I bitched and moaned about the cheapass plastic parts that break so easily....
    I'm truly sorry to hear you're dealing with a similar situation to Big Al... Thanks for sharing your story and good luck with your fight

Your Standard is more than welcome. Cool pic too. Thanks for posting it

Les Paul Forum Member

deleted
    Last edited by garywright; 05-03-13 at 05:19 PM.

Hey guys, thanks for posting so many killer guitars for Big Al... That's some serious guitar porn

Please keep 'em comin'