• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2014 specs!!!

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
So what do you think: Will Gibson add another miniscule change to next year's models, & if so, what will it be? Or will they ride w/the current changes for awhile like they did in 2001-2002?
If they do make any changes, what do you think they will be?

Bugman58

OOOO MAN,,,, Lets just enjoy this year,, I mean dam there not even out yet except for a few,,, OK i will play and say they will ride it for a while and keep doing special runs,, But that even has to run out at some point, Maybe next year they will Reissue great Reissue"s

poon99

OOOO MAN,,,, Lets just enjoy this year,, I mean dam there not even out yet except for a few,,, OK i will play and say they will ride it for a while and keep doing special runs,, But that even has to run out at some point, Maybe next year they will Reissue great Reissue"s
They are doing that this year CC#10 a Norlin.

Ulli

Don't know if it will be next year, but I think there are some more things they could realize easily, like the length of the studs and posts e.g..
I don't see them using non-plasticized laquer with natural checking in the future. Hell, there'd be no more work for 'Murphy's Razor Blade Crew' if they did...

However, I'm pretty happy with this year's changes!

Pat Boyack

I don't see them using non-plasticized laquer with natural checking in the future. Hell, there'd be no more work for 'Murphy's Razor Blade Crew' if they did...

Natural checking? How does one "fake" something that is natural? Putting a guitar in the freezer then the oven doesn't always work.

Ulli

You're right, "natural" might not be the correct term actually. I was referring to the method that the makeover guys use in opposite to Gibson's way of accomplishing that.

DANELECTRO

Whatever the changes are, I'm sure they'll make the people who sold their crappy 2012's in order to buy a fabulous 2013 want to dump their 2013.

:spabout

MikeSlub

Administrator
Because the 2013's sound better than the originals according to Tom Wittrock, Gibson is buying all the old Bursts it can get its hands on during 2013 at fire sale prices and will be "re-issuing" (aka "reselling") them in 2014. And people will still be complaining that their specs aren't close enough to the "originals". :)

cryptozoo

I think they'll be minor for 2014, stuff like 'more accurate tuners' or 'refinded top carve.' Stuff that sounds good on the marketing sheet but doesn't really amount to a whole lot. 2013 is the biggie with hot hide neck set and ... wait for it ... NO MORE LAMINATED FRETBOARDS!

I don't blame some of you for running damage control on the 2012s. I guess I'd probably feel like I needed to do that as well to maintain the market value, had I bought one.

K

Kim R

I think they'll be minor for 2014, stuff like 'more accurate tuners' or 'refinded top carve.' Stuff that sounds good on the marketing sheet but doesn't really amount to a whole lot. 2013 is the biggie with hot hide neck set and ... wait for it ... NO MORE LAMINATED FRETBOARDS!

I don't blame some of you for running damage control on the 2012s. I guess I'd probably feel like I needed to do that as well to maintain the market value, had I bought one.

Know what classification of guitars has lost the highest percentage of "market value" over the past decade? The originals - 50's "golden era" guitars. The fixation that many guitar enthusiasts seem to have on "resale" makes one wonder why they're buying the guitars to begin with.

The buy-sell swirl goes on without end and is fueled by constant dissatisfaction. This does not seem like it would be much "fun for the trouble," but call me crazy, Francis.

Beano Geno

I have an 06 R9 that is just fine for me...and no, I don't plan to buy a 2013. Just wondering what year Historic you have, and if you are planning on buying a 2013?

cryptozoo

I'm down to one -- an '05. In the past, I've had a '02 and an '06 as well. My '05 came through MGL and it's a stellar guitar. The only recent Historic I've run across that almost made me jump was a Pearly Gates.

I'd certainly consider a 2013 if the right one found me, whereas I would not consider a double-board 2012.

Bugman58

Aren't changes every 3 or 4 years? So I think we are safe for now.:laugh2:

I dont think they have a set time frame for that. I think this year they needed to do some thing and they did the right thing for sure.

TM1

So what do you think: Will Gibson add another miniscule change to next year's models, & if so, what will it be? Or will they ride w/the current changes for awhile like they did in 2001-2002?
If they do make any changes, what do you think they will be?

Robert, your cracking me up my friend!!:rofl