• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Hey, you think you have problems....

MRG

Another question about headstocks and flight cases.

Is it all right if the tip of a Les Paul's headstock touches the bottom of a flight case? Or should it rest clear of the bottom like it does in its Custom Shop hard-shell case?

latestarter

It should really rest clear...any downward pressure on that and there will be trouble.

MRG

Okay, I'm afraid I have to dredge up this thread again.

I understand from latestarter that the tip of the headstock should not touch the bottom of a road case. But what minimum clearance is enough? One inch? Half inch? More? Less?

Thanks again.

sharky

Okay, I'm afraid I have to dredge up this thread again.

I understand from latestarter that the tip of the headstock should not touch the bottom of a road case. But what minimum clearance is enough? One inch? Half inch? More? Less?

Thanks again.

I cannot answer that specific question but to me something between 1/2 and one inch is enough. What is also very important is to block the guitar so it cannot move in the case. I have a Korina Flying V that has some chipped off areas on the heel of the neck and the tips of the fins because it moved around in the coffin case during transport and the heel shifted over the vertical wall of the accesory compartment which is made of wood and only covered by a thin layer of plush. The dealer didn't pack it professionally which would have been easy. There is a large impression from the tip of the headstock in the case padding. Pressed in so hard that it is still persisting after 1/2 year. Lucky that the headstock didn't break when they maneuvered the box upside down and most probbably threw it also.

If I have a Les Paul to be shipped I use an 80s protector or chainsaw case which embraces the guitar real snugg so it cannot move any more. TW has some even better form cases, but I forgot the brand name. They are very rare and expensive but worth it if you have valuable Les Pauls that need protection

MRG

Great advice. Appreciate knowing about protector cases and packing tips.

Sorry to hear about your V though. At least it's in one piece and playable.

renderit

Supervisor at the UPS air sort... UPS... Brown trucks .... I smell brown....? Crap is brown... Difficult to convey snark in this format

Try BOLDING letters in a more formattable font. Your color selection also helps to induce lip-curling fumes. Corn chunks would be yellower...:fart

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
lip-curling fumes. :fart

turd.gif

RicOkc

I used to fly from Okla. City, Okla. to Sarasota, Fla. to visit my mom who was in a home for adults who have Dementia.

My ex sister in law who works for Delta would arrange my flights to and from. The first trip I took she asked me to bring one of my guitars with me.

I told her "no way in hell" would I bring any of my guitars on the flight after reading numerous story's about guitar being trashed by the airlines.

Yeah.....I know that the chances are probably pretty slim that something would happen, but I'm not willing to take that chance.