• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

ThroBak P-90's Are Here!

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
Okay, these have been a long time in coming but it was worth getting right IMHO. Go to the web site and check them out. Lots if info about the work that went into what I think is the most accurate P-90 reproduction ever.

Plus I made a few of the parts available for people that need them for vintage restorations.. Every part of these P-90's are ThroBak made from the ground up and made in the USA.

I'll post more but there are lots of specifics on the ThroBak site.

Here are a couple of photos of the new Throbak P-90 repros. This set is med. aged cream with vintage repro baseplates.

Untitled-3.jpg

www.throbak.com

Red Baron

Very cool Jon, congrats :dude:

Great to see some accurate P90 covers as well, will be perfect for restorations :2cool

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
Here is a photo of an aged bone pair with the vintage modified baseplates. These baseplates keep the materials and geometry of the vintage baseplate but without the side tabs. This means you can now get vintage style P-90's in a Historic without having to modify the route to hide the side tabs on the vintage P-90 soap bar baseplate. www.throbak.com

Untitled.jpg

Red Baron

Question Jon - why have you cut the covers to accommodate the side tabs on the baseplate? I've never seen covers cut like that before... not saying they didn't do that back in the day, just that they're not like that on any of my guitars.

All the covers on mine just rested against the side tabs but weren't cut at all.

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
Question Jon - why have you cut the covers to accommodate the side tabs on the baseplate? I've never seen covers cut like that before... not saying they didn't do that back in the day, just that they're not like that on any of my guitars.

All the covers on mine just rested against the side tabs but weren't cut at all.

You are correct. Vintage covers were not notched like this. I decided to mold them this way because i know with some vintage bridge pickup routes the cover does not really cover the gap between the cover and the guitar top. I know this is the case on my '56 Les Paul. But I can trim them flat on request.

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
Here is a photo of the new ThroBak Dog ear P-90 bridge pickup. Again all ThroBak made in the USA to vintage specs.

Untitled-2.jpg

tuberide

Can you describe what tonal/performance differences one can expect between the three dog ear flavors offered? I've got the Historic LP Jr.

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor

Great clip Steve! My goal with the MXV P-90's was to make them as nuanced and versatile as the best 50's era P-90's I have played. This clip shows the great full cleans you can get from the classic 50's P-90 design. Classic P-90's can be so versatile, much more so than I think many expect. It makes me feel good to hear The MXV P-90's showcased in a clip like this. Thanks!

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
Can you describe what tonal/performance differences one can expect between the three dog ear flavors offered? I've got the Historic LP Jr.

The lower the resistance the more twang and the higher the resistance the darker, more grindy and juicy the tone is. The lowest resistance set has the most clean headroom and the highest set has the least but really gives the grind. The middle res. is the happy medium. Expect all of these to have the complex tonal character and balance that people like so much with 50's Era P-90's.

The standard with these is no hum cancelling in the middle position although I'm happy to do it by request at no upcharge. Tonally I think the non hum cacelling middle postition of the 50's design gives a bit more chime and complexity than if the middle position is hum cancelling. So the ThroBak MXV P-90's are the vintage correct non humcancelling configuration. But again if you want a hum cancelling middle position just let me know and it is easily done at no upcharge.

joemags54

Here is a photo of the new ThroBak Dog ear P-90 bridge pickup. Again all ThroBak made in the USA to vintage specs.

Untitled-2.jpg

Jon, I was considering a new set of PU's for my 330L . Your website recommends
these for single Jr's ? Do you have anything for the 330's?..... Sorry if this is a silly question?

MapleFlame

these for single Jr's ? Do you have anything for the 330's?..... Sorry if this is a silly question?

I will answer this, remember, the person installing P90's into guitars pulled them out of bins. There was no rhyme or reason what they used. From Jon's explanation, I would choose the set that your guitar needs. If you want more clarity or grind, the options are there. :dude:

I am also considering a change to My CS 330 with his P90's. The stock pickups aren't bad at all, their pretty darn hot.

joemags54

I will answer this, remember, the person installing P90's into guitars pulled them out of bins. There was no rhyme or reason what they used. From Jon's explanation, I would choose the set that your guitar needs. If you want more clarity or grind, the options are there. :dude:

I am also considering a change to My CS 330 with his P90's. The stock pickups aren't bad at all, their pretty darn hot.
I read through a bit of the info on the machinery, and thought that the PU's were designed and built "guitar specific". Thanks MF.

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor

Hi Joe,

For an ES-330L a set like the P-90 '52/'54 MXV can be ordered custom with a dog ear baseplates for neck and bridge. This set has a clarity and depth that would work great with a ES-330. However I have not yet made a mold for a neck dog ear cover so I would have to work out a price for custom set minus covers. I have the neck baseplate but not the covers yet. Any Gibson brand neck dog ear cover should work fine.