• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Scratch/crackle on certain notes...

frazettafan

Just recently when playing through my 20W Plexi head I hear a harsh crackle/scratchy noise through the amp on certain places on the fret-board(there is no fret buzz on my guitar). This didn't used to happen and it seems to get worse the harder I play. At first I thought it was a bad earth but it's getting louder....

It tends to do this mainly on the high strings and I imagine it's a tube problem?

As an I'm amp thick-oh, any advice, suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Ad_02Std

Sounds like pre-amp valves to me. There are other reasons why you might get a crackle, but I'd check out the pre-amp valves first.

philip_m

probably only corroded sockets.

wiggle the preamp tubes a bit, if it crackles, turn off the amp, let the tubes cool of, then use some DeoxIT on the feet and sockets

Doc Sausage

Huh? Seriously, what worked? I'm having Blues Deville 410 issues - as in, one pop, some sizzle and scratchy notes on the clean channel. Pre amp tubes???

MikeSlub

Administrator
Could also be a bad speaker. I've had bad luck with Webers the past few years. Recent set of Blue Pups with the sizzle/buzz on note decay. Not buying them any more. :hank

Dreadnaught

Do you have a spare tube set? If not, you should, just for backup and times like these. I had this problem once and it was one of the main power tubes. If you have a spare tube set, replace each tube one at a time and see if you can resolve the problem. Return the old tube of each successive attempt that does not correct the problem.