NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Les Paul Forum Member gypsyseven's Avatar

Your favorite amp-like OD Pedal???

What's your favorite amp-like OD Pedal?
    That works great with an amp set clean, gives a warm overdriven sound and cleans up nicely with the guitars volume?

I like the Maxon OD-808 and MXR GT-OD so far.But i'm always interested what other people use.
    I play mostly indie/alternative rock and a little Blues/Rock...

Re: Your favorite amp-like OD Pedal???

The plain old, garden variety Barber Direct Drive has suited me well for several years. Works great with Fender BF circuits. Some might prefer the Low Gain version, but I'm happy with the regular (although it might be a later revision).

I've played, bought and sold a lot of Distortion/Fuzz/Overdrive pedas, but I always seem to go back to either the Barber or the Musket Fuzz, which is a stand-in for my retired grey box Russian Big Muff. I don't play Distortion boxes much anymore, but I still have a couple old MXR Dist+'s and a MIJ DS-1 that I think I keep for sentimental reasons.

Les Paul Forum Member

Loved an early Barber Direct Drive I stupidly sold in a moment of madness. It was one of the hand written ones with a pull knob for mids.

Of the ones I own, Suhr Riot and Carl Martin Plexitone rule the roost for me.

Les Paul Forum Member Texas Blues's Avatar

I like to be liking to push my small amps lately with either a Microamp or a BOR. Sometimes if I'm playing a little flat and need some inspiration I'll get my juke on with a Bixonic Expandora and for extra mud flappage I'll even use the Forbidden setting.

I really love my new EP Booster, its not a OD but it gives you a little sparkle and just more of you amp. I have it 6 weeks and its on all the time.

For ODs i use the Z-Vex BoxOfRock, AC Booster and a Mad Professor Sweet Honey. These pedals are great for the stuff i play. They behave amp-like, they can go from a whisper to a scream in the way you strum or pick the strings.

For a bit more i use the Hermida Tiki-Drive.
    This in combination with the EP Booster is my favourite set up for the last couple days. Together with my Junior tuned to open G in my Fender Blues Junior is a nice combination for home use.
    Cause im just starting to get into sliding and i dont want to annoy my neighbours.

Les Paul Forum Member Ryan Givhan's Avatar

add me to the Maxon 808 list. i have tried so many mass produced and boutique OD pedals over the years and the 808 suits my needs the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Blues View Post
    ...for extra mud flappage.....
    Love that description.

If I need more drive I have a Fulltone OCD which can sound great but can get a little too 'gainy' for me. Maybe it's cos I only ever use a 1 X P90 guitar? Anyone know if these sound better with buckers?
    When you have the same guitar (or pedal, pickup, or amp) that your favorite player uses to play that music and make those sounds, you know that piece of equipment isn't part of the "problem", and you can either move on to blaming the next piece of gear or get down to playing and seeing if you can really do it.

One pedal that I keep going back to is the ITS8 kit (General Guitar Gadgets) pedal that I built. I still have an OCD on my board as well, because it's a completely different tone (and also will work as a clean boost), but for an "amp" sounding pedal, it's really hard to beat the ITS8 with the Keely and Landgraff options.

Maxon OD-820 kicks ass. Keep trading them off, wish I still had one in the drawer.

I have 7 OD pedals, some boutique, and my fave right now is the Reverend GarageTone Drive Train that sells new for $70 at Musicians Friend. Go figure. Killer tone. Possibly best of the lot.
    "In all candor, I'm 'stunned' by the rather extensive list of modifications that folks are typically making to these already expensive guitars. In fact, I'll go ahead and say it . . . it seems absolutely crazy" - excerpted from the post of a Les Paul reissue owner and new member to the LPF

Hitler reacts to the Gibson 2015 price increase and min-Etune:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB0wi5-5wNU

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Papa View Post
    Maxon OD-820 kicks ass.
    Yeah, that's one pedal i have to try!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Blues View Post
    I like to be liking to push my small amps lately with either a Microamp or a BOR. Sometimes if I'm playing a little flat and need some inspiration I'll get my juke on with a Bixonic Expandora and for extra mud flappage I'll even use the Forbidden setting.
    Yeah, i also like to use my MXR 401 into my cranked Ampeg Jet 12R!
    But sometimes i need more clean headroom...then i use my Blues Deluxe and currently a MXR GT-OD to add dirty tones.

i have a pedal based on the BSIAB II that i goto sometimes. I dial it way back so its more OD than distortion. sounds great.

I really like Tiki Drive !

The farther you go, the closer you are.

Les Paul Forum Member

BJfe Baby Blue. the schniz...

All Access/Backstage Pass lpnv59's Avatar

Zendrive or a Box Of Rock, depending on the band.
    "It's a Marshall bubby. It gets loud." Ace Frehley

Les Paul Forum Member Pat Boyack's Avatar

Rockett Pedals - Animal OD.

IMHO there is no such thing as a OD pedal that is amp like. I have had the best luck with a boost pedal, there are many on the market, push the front of the amp.

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

The best one I've found is the Lovepedal AmpEleven.
    It's probably the most transparent one I've used. I was surprisingly impressed the first time I used it as the sound, sounded just like my amp but overdriven. I've got so many OD's.. Box of Rock, Animal OD, TS9's, Fulltone stuff and the Lovepedal for me tops them.

Quote Originally Posted by lpnv59 View Post
    Zendrive or a Box Of Rock, depending on the band.
    +1, I had a couple of years ago a Vexter BOR that I sold, now I have a hand painted one and I simply love it...

I have to add the Timmy overdrive, last gigs I have been using it instead of the Zendrive ...
    My blog, les paul X-Ray pics and more les paul pics...
    http://pepejara.blogspot.com.es/

The best I ever heard and used was a Tanabe Dumkudo/Zenkudo.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I've heard great sounding clips on yt of the giggety pedal, though not in the flesh.
    Would love to try one.

Quote Originally Posted by frazettafan View Post
    Love that description.

If I need more drive I have a Fulltone OCD which can sound great but can get a little too 'gainy' for me. Maybe it's cos I only ever use a 1 X P90 guitar? Anyone know if these sound better with buckers?
    I found that the OCD sounds completely different amp to amp.
    Have a V1, sound good w/ my WoodCross amps. Ok with a Hot Rod Deluxe. Not good at all w/ a Custom Vibrolux. And on the bad side w/ a Sansamp.
    Joe
    <><

My favorite drive pedal... that truly behaves like an amp is, believe it or not, a fuzz. MY Keeley Fuzz Head doesn't overly color the tone and cleans up so nicely with a little twist of the guitar's volume knob.

The other constant for a number of years, that emulate an amp is my Zvex Distortron (which is half of the Box of Rock).

I've also really enjoyed my Danelectro Transparent Overdrive, but I am impatiently waiting delivery of a Tim pedal. The transparent drive has always worked with my Fender amps to make them sound like they're turned up without adding more volume.

I wasn't much of a pedal user, liked an amp with a master volume. Then I tried one of these:

http://www.g2d.co.nz/

Now I set the amp clean and use the pedal for overdrive and solo boost.
    I have the Custom Overdrive and the Cream Tone.
    Life Is Too Short To Drink American Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Axis29 View Post
    My favorite drive pedal... that truly behaves like an amp is, believe it or not, a fuzz. MY Keeley Fuzz Head doesn't overly color the tone and cleans up so nicely with a little twist of the guitar's volume knob.
    I have a Fuzz Head as well and find it to be pretty amp-like. My Fulltone '69 Pedal cleans up from the guitar even better though I don't consider it to be "amp-like".

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I have a Fuzz Head as well and find it to be pretty amp-like. My Fulltone '69 Pedal cleans up from the guitar even better though I don't consider it to be "amp-like".
    I also have a Plum Crazy Effect Fuzzy Lady... Which cleans up like the FH and the '69. I wouldn't call it amp like either. It's just straight up fuzz-like!

Les Paul Forum Member Patrick Ginnaty's Avatar

I use a Fulltone Fulldrive. Sometimes I use it for straight od, and sometimes I turn it on and control it with my guitar volume for a meatier rhythm sound that still sounds fairly natural. That IS what the question was in the beginning, about od pedals that clean up with the guitar volume?

Les Paul Forum Member ch willie's Avatar

I've been using a Digitech Bad Monkey, but I don't like it anymore. So I've ordered a Tonebone Hot British tube pedal. We'll see if it does the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Zemaitis View Post
    I wasn't much of a pedal user, liked an amp with a master volume. Then I tried one of these:

http://www.g2d.co.nz/

Now I set the amp clean and use the pedal for overdrive and solo boost.
    I have the Custom Overdrive and the Cream Tone.

Hi Zemaitis, was going to email you about this but that doesn't happen with your setup here.
    I use the Custom od and while I find it is a good enough pedal(had it modded a little to give me a cleaner and smoother od around the dial) it does drop off
    a certain amount of the amps bottom end when engaged.
    Do you find that with yours?

I am loving my wampler paisley drive! It's killer!

BOSS SD-1 with the Fromel mod.
    There are only two kinds of people in this world, ignorant and intelligent, which one are you.

I have two TS-9s, one original & one RI. I recently took the RI & switched out the 75558 chip for a 4558 chip. I actually put in a socket so I can switch out different chips if I want to. The upshot is that I'm using the RI TS-9 now because it sounds so good.
    the faster we go the rounder we get

Les Paul Forum Member

Another mention for the Maxon OD820 with the drive set to minimum you get a clean signal, so there is your clean boost, and as you bring the drive up, a little of the clean seems to stay with you until around 11 o'clock or so. Maxon developed the pedal to be the last word in tubescreamers, and I think they did it.

But the pedal that meets all your criteria, and will be far more versatile than the OD820 is the 'Blackstone Mosfet Overdrive'.

Its a true two channel pedal the size of an MXR and sounds amazing in front of a clean amp, it also cleans up from the guitar better than any other pedal Ive had. It has a huge range to the gain and is more amp like in its gain/ overdrive tone than many other pedals.

Another Maxon 820 fan here.For what it does (clean boost thing,or Marshall crunch boost)the transparency is excellent as is the tone.
    To cover the ground that the Maxon 820 doesn't,i have an original first series Menatone Blue Collar on my board as well.The Blue Collar is a little *browner* sounding than the 820.And an early Red Snapper.These 3 pedals give me just the amp,except more of it.with excellent tone.
    When i go without board and one pedal into my JTM 45(need to travel light! ) the 820 is it.
    2011 R8 VOS Cherry SB. (8 1756)
    2010 R8 VOS Cherry SB. (8 0009)
    LP Standard,Black(1987)
    LP Standard,AntiqueSB(1989)
    LP Standard,Wine(1990)
    LP Custom,Cherry SB.(1989)
    Timbucker and Seth Lover pickups
    Thru Vintage 4-hole Hiwatt DR103's/504's
    Marshalls and Fender's
    ONLY NOS tubes:Mullard,Phillips,Amperex,RCA,
    Sylvania,Siemens,GE,Brimar,Tesla(70's)
    Martin HD28(2010)
    Martin HD28V(2010)

Went from OCD to Zvex Distortron....and love it. Very amp like when using guitar volume control. And the Bad Monkey mentioned earlier is the best cheap overdrive I have ever used.
    ----------
    09 R9
    09 R6
    92 LP Standard
    06 LP Classic
    99 ES-335
    06 SG 61 Reissue

Les Paul Forum Member

I forgot to mention that if your into TS types you really should check out the Fulltone Fulldrive. I have the Fulldrive and the Maxon OD820 as the differences between the two make it worth while having them both, but if I were using them with a clean amp I would go with the Fulldrive as the harmonic overtones are more complex.

While the Blackstone is the most responsive to pick attack and cleaning up from the guitar, the Fulltone OCD runs it a close second in both departments, and is about the most versatile single channel drive pedal Ive come across.

Indie/alt blues/rock are all within easy reach of the OCD, so well worth checking one out.

BTW: When asking pedal questions it always helps to know your amp and guitar/s choice, as some pedals are picky and work better with some amps than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    BTW: When asking pedal questions it always helps to know your amp and guitar/s choice, as some pedals are picky and work better with some amps than others.
    Gibson R8 into a "modded" Fender Blues Deluxe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cogswell View Post
    I have two TS-9s, one original & one RI. I recently took the RI & switched out the 75558 chip for a 4558 chip. I actually put in a socket so I can switch out different chips if I want to. The upshot is that I'm using the RI TS-9 now because it sounds so good.

Cogs! isn't that the way it always goes? Never what you expect from the common accepted wisdom. I had two vintage TS9's awhile ago, before all this talk about chips and after careful listening I decided to keep the best one and sell the other. The best one was my fave and most of my buds agreed. When all the hoopla about 4558 chips started I opened the back to find I had the TA 75558 chip (THE BAD ONE) and it sounds great! My Japanese Reissue TS9 has the 4558 chip and too my ears sounds Identical or awful damn close to the vintage one. WTF!! WTF!!!! I am no electronics expert for sure, but I do have ears and TO ME, I don't hear any major difference in this case. I have not compared many others and as I have said, I came late to the whole chip thing anyway. So my experience is very limited.

Are older TA75558 chips and newer 4558 chips the same? That would account for my pair.

I know from what I've read that the TA75558 chip is supposed to be awful, yet I also read that that is the one that Eric Johnson prefers in his TS9? What I heard when comparing my vintage ones,(and I never knew what chips were in them so I don't even know what I was comparing), was that the one I kept had a more useful TONE control range. That was the big diff for me. The sonic dirt was very similar but on one I could easily get the tone effect I wanted from the pedal. The other one was harsher on the treble and muddier on the bass.

What I've never seen is a comparison that defines the difference or if there really is a difference, or if the chips themselves are different in the way that various 6l6 tubes can be quite different? Or is it within the circuits themselves?

What should I look for and what real info is there about this other than the Voodoo stuff that is hard to quantify?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by tjsmith76 View Post
    I am loving my wampler paisley drive! It's killer!
    I tried one of these out and liked it, too.
    "In all candor, I'm 'stunned' by the rather extensive list of modifications that folks are typically making to these already expensive guitars. In fact, I'll go ahead and say it . . . it seems absolutely crazy" - excerpted from the post of a Les Paul reissue owner and new member to the LPF

Hitler reacts to the Gibson 2015 price increase and min-Etune:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB0wi5-5wNU

Vox Valvetone rules for OD. For distortion, Fulltone Plimsoul. Push either with a BB Preamp. You will be a happy boy.
    Fender 62 RI Strat (Sunburst) Van Zandt and Fralin pickups
    Gibson '54 Les Paul Historic (Goldtop darkback) Thobak Pickups
    Fender '59 Thin Skin RI Strat (Vintage White) Duncan Antiquity pickups
    Gibson Songbird Deluxe (Antique Natural)
    Gibson J-45 Custom (Tobacco Sunburst)
    Fender Deluxe Reverb '64 Custom Handwired