• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

ABR-1 Thumbwheels on new historics

Keefoman

You may want to go with longer(deeper) posts as the more mass you can get into the body, the more string vibration transfer you'll get. I use 2" brass, 6/32" posts. Goes back to the old "Mapleflame Mod" post from 2007.
Seem to remember the old "Mapleflame" beeing stainless steel posts? Anyway, I think that's what I used on my R8.

Arnold M.

measurements taken today of Gibson steel thumbwheel taken from a 2017 True Historic, I replaced with a more accurate set from Marks Guitar Loft ...

Attachments

• IMG_2474.jpg
    IMG_2474.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2475.jpg
    IMG_2475.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 19

fernieite

Cool. Did you happen to measure the Mark's / CreamTone ones to compare?

rob livesey

You may want to go with longer(deeper) posts as the more mass you can get into the body, the more string vibration transfer you'll get. I use 2" brass, 6/32" posts. Goes back to the old "Mapleflame Mod" post from 2007.

Thanks Don, We’re the original posts brass?

Arnold M.

Cool. Did you happen to measure the Mark's / CreamTone ones to compare?
sorry.the Marks set is on the guitar at the moment, I managed to measure the outer diameter which I believe was about .628 vs the .590 Gibson dia. and the Marks wheels are markedly thinner , plus they have the correct knurl. I will say Marks units look and feel considerably better installed on the guitar than the factory units. Upgrades are a minefield to sort out sometimes (I recently saw one company refer to the "mold marks" on their knob pointers. Knob pointers are stamped out of steel sheet, not cast LOL ... for a great price, I considered Marks/Creamtone thumbwheels a great upgrade, well worth the money

fernieite

Thanks.

I think I'll measure my Retrospec ones and see how they compare to Mark's ...

markguitar

Les Paul Forum Member
The TruVintage thumbwheels from MGL-CreamTone measurements are .627" and .096" thick.