The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

ABR straightening

Hi,

this may have been asked before, if so- my apologies!

I have a nickel ABR bridge (I believe it's an early 60s btw) which is slightly bent. I can still use it, but I would like to straighten it. Can anyone give some advice?
    I thought about using a vise and some rubber to protect the material, any experiences ?

Thanks,

Ulli

Re: ABR straightening

I have done this successfully with the bridge on my '58.

A vise and three dowels is what I used, position the dowels with two on the ends on one side and one in the center (bent in side) to apply pressure, and go gently & slowly.

I suppose the danger is cracking/fatiguing the metal, it worked fine on mine and has held up the last 20 years- I suppose it's more iffy the more you need to bend it to straighten...

Thanks 58burst

I'll try it that way !

Les Paul Forum Member mosquito3's Avatar

Hi!
    Sorry to bump this old thread but I hope there are some expert here willing to give me some further advice.
    I own a vintage nickel no wire ABR-1 that is slightly bent. Actually it is not a big problem, as I said it's just slightly bowed but it's perfectly functional and do not gives trouble such as buzzing on middle strings, etc.
    That said, I would like to streighten it back to it's original shape.
    The procedure is clear (thank you 58burst) , what I did not understand is timing. How much it will take to complete the procedure? I have to apply pressure slowly, but how much slowly? 5 minutes? An hour? And as soon as it is completely straight am I done? Or I should leave the bridge in the vise under pressure for some hours / days?
    Last edited by mosquito3; 08-12-19 at 10:04 AM.

I made a jig to straighten out the collapsed ABR1 bridges. Take a block of wood and radius it to the correct arc of the bottom side of the ABR1. Bore holes where the posts would go thru the bridge then take a washer and a screw to each side. I also take a heat gun and warm the bridge so it doesn't crack. Go slow and then leave it set for 24 hours. Problem solved.

IMG_1288.jpg

Les Paul Forum Member mosquito3's Avatar

Wow, you made your own tool for straightening bridges, that's cool man, congrats.
    Maybe a little more complicated than the method described by 58burst, but I'll take into account to build one of those.
    Thank you!

Les Paul Forum Member

Very nice jig! This guy really knows his way around vintage parts!

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

You know it's right when the top is flat. I just lay 'em face down on my arbor press with material to protect the finish. Press flat and voila. Done.

Yeah, I did mine all in one pop, just slowly applied pressure over about a minute or so, checking the straightness, and it was done.

Les Paul Forum Member Capt Brad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    You know it's right when the top is flat. I just lay 'em face down on my arbor press with material to protect the finish. Press flat and voila. Done.
    Wood 2 dimes a nickel and a clamp is what's works for me.

Place dimes on wood spaced equal legth of bridge. place bridge upside down a place a nickel in the center.
    clamp wood to nickel and slowly tighten till bridge is just a bit past the dime hight.
    This allows for flex. you have to go past flat to get them to be flat when you are done!