• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

ABR straightening

Ulli

Hi,

this may have been asked before, if so- my apologies!

I have a nickel ABR bridge (I believe it's an early 60s btw) which is slightly bent. I can still use it, but I would like to straighten it. Can anyone give some advice?
I thought about using a vise and some rubber to protect the material, any experiences ?

Thanks,

Ulli

a596qf.jpg

vq5p4h.jpg

58burst

I have done this successfully with the bridge on my '58.

A vise and three dowels is what I used, position the dowels with two on the ends on one side and one in the center (bent in side) to apply pressure, and go gently & slowly.

I suppose the danger is cracking/fatiguing the metal, it worked fine on mine and has held up the last 20 years- I suppose it's more iffy the more you need to bend it to straighten...

mosquito3

Hi!
Sorry to bump this old thread but I hope there are some expert here willing to give me some further advice.
I own a vintage nickel no wire ABR-1 that is slightly bent. Actually it is not a big problem, as I said it's just slightly bowed but it's perfectly functional and do not gives trouble such as buzzing on middle strings, etc.
That said, I would like to streighten it back to it's original shape.
The procedure is clear (thank you 58burst) , what I did not understand is timing. How much it will take to complete the procedure? I have to apply pressure slowly, but how much slowly? 5 minutes? An hour? And as soon as it is completely straight am I done? Or I should leave the bridge in the vise under pressure for some hours / days?

Last edited:

boogieongtr

I made a jig to straighten out the collapsed ABR1 bridges. Take a block of wood and radius it to the correct arc of the bottom side of the ABR1. Bore holes where the posts would go thru the bridge then take a washer and a screw to each side. I also take a heat gun and warm the bridge so it doesn't crack. Go slow and then leave it set for 24 hours. Problem solved.

IMG_1288.jpg

mosquito3

Wow, you made your own tool for straightening bridges, that's cool man, congrats.
Maybe a little more complicated than the method described by 58burst, but I'll take into account to build one of those.
Thank you!

JIMI55LP

Very nice jig! This guy really knows his way around vintage parts!

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
You know it's right when the top is flat. I just lay 'em face down on my arbor press with material to protect the finish. Press flat and voila. Done.

58burst

Yeah, I did mine all in one pop, just slowly applied pressure over about a minute or so, checking the straightness, and it was done.

Capt Brad

You know it's right when the top is flat. I just lay 'em face down on my arbor press with material to protect the finish. Press flat and voila. Done.

Wood 2 dimes a nickel and a clamp is what's works for me.

Place dimes on wood spaced equal legth of bridge. place bridge upside down a place a nickel in the center.
clamp wood to nickel and slowly tighten till bridge is just a bit past the dime hight.
This allows for flex. you have to go past flat to get them to be flat when you are done!