• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

captaincanada

After seeing J45's pictures of his red hollowbodies in another thread, I was inspired to start a thread on these red beauties. Please add any pictures you may have of factory red Gibsons from the 50s and 60s.

I'm not really talking about the common examples like cherry SGs and ES-335s, I'm talking about models that don't usually come in red, or custom examples like Sparkling Burgandy, Cardinal Red...

I'll start with a few:

normal_DSCN6618.jpg

main_20659.jpg

Custom175.jpg

sburgardySG.jpg

3840757842_9e0d1c0bd0_z.jpg

SWEETCHERRY-2.jpg

JimR56

I've visited these forums a number of times, and I was going to register anyway, but this thread motivated me to finally do it. Let's just say I've always had a weakness (maybe lust is a better word) for cherry red Gibsons from the golden era. I've had my '63 L5CT (see below) for over 20 years, and even before that I lusted for a cherry L5, Super 400, or a Johnny Smith. I've seen a few in photos, on tv, and online. I saw a Super 400C in cherry many years ago in an old video on one of those country music channels (TNN, I think). There are a few beauties in the Tsumura book (a Crest, a 400CES, and a Johnny Smith). I also have a "Vintage Gallery" magazine from the mid-90's that included an Epi Emperor electric in cherry. Unfortunately, I had a hard drive crash a few years ago and lost a bunch of cool photos I had found online over the years.

Anyway, love this thread. I can't add a lot, but here are a few things...

'62%20Sheraton%20(V%26R)%20full.JPG.540x540_q85_autocrop.jpg

'62 Epi Sheraton (pretty rare to find one this early in cherry)

'63%20L5CT%20%40W'hurst%20%20copy.jpg.540x540_q85_autocrop.jpg

'63 L5CT (one of the last ones shipped, modified with hb's in the '60's)

com_TqzpAvKWolNft.jpg

Gobel with a Christian pickup... my dream guitar for many years.

s400_65r.jpg

'65 Super 400 (found this image online... wish it was larger)

Now, back to the hunt!

Last edited:

JimR56

17322_Gibson_48894b.jpg

Another 175, this one from '62

$T2eC16N,!zEE9s3!WpIbBQb,+ji11g~~60_1.JPG

'66 Trini Lopez (not sure how rare these are in cherry, but it's cool)

ZZ Not

Welcome to the Forum, JimR56. A grand entrance with the L5CT.

I had to sell this Ruby LP Studio Gem as it was so mint I worried about messing it up every time I played it.

Oldones459.jpg

JimR56

Thanks, ZZ, good to be here.

p1_ugxdmqysh_so.jpg

Very unusual Epi Sheraton from the Gibson era (it's a '67), in burgundy.

captaincanada

Welcome JimR56! Your L-5 is stunning! Please show more pictures of it if you can:salude

Is the Gobel yours also?

JimR56

Welcome JimR56! Your L-5 is stunning! Please show more pictures of it if you can:salude

Is the Gobel yours also?

Hi CC, thanks for the welcome. This should be fun (I post on a few other guitar forums, but some of them are pretty slow at times).

The '63 L5CT, aka "George Gobel" model (modified with two humbuckers) is mine. The L5CT/Gobel with the Charlie Christian pickup is not mine (unfortunately), and the L5CES sold by Skinners is not mine. The only guitars of mine that I posted photos of here are the L5CT and the Epi Sheraton.

A few more views of my L5CT:

DSCN3384.jpg

DSCN3413.jpg

63L5CTWhurst.jpg

63L5CTWhurstrear2.jpg

captaincanada

That is simply outstanding! Just the sort of guitar I was hoping to unearth in this thread..
Do you play jazz?

JimR56

That is simply outstanding! Just the sort of guitar I was hoping to unearth in this thread..
Do you play jazz?

Yes, mainly jazz for about the last 30 years (not professionally, though). The L5CT is without doubt one of my favorite guitars I've ever owned, and I've had a lot of archtops (mostly vintage Gibsons) over the years. That guitar just sings. Very comfortable, very resonant, and mine has the 24 3/4" scale, which I love. By the way, it's the same guitar pictured in Adrian Ingram's L5 book (there are two photos of it in there- both in black and white, unfortunately).

Michael Minnis

Hi CC, thanks for the welcome. This should be fun (I post on a few other guitar forums, but some of them are pretty slow at times).

The '63 L5CT, aka "George Gobel" model (modified with two humbuckers) is mine. The L5CT/Gobel with the Charlie Christian pickup is not mine (unfortunately), and the L5CES sold by Skinners is not mine. The only guitars of mine that I posted photos of here are the L5CT and the Epi Sheraton.

A few more views of my L5CT:

DSCN3384.jpg

DSCN3413.jpg

63L5CTWhurst.jpg

63L5CTWhurstrear2.jpg

Beautiful guitar. Thanks so much for sharing!