• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

JimR56

I know this thread is for " golden era " instruments.

But, this was just too cool not to share.

Saw it at Rumbleseat, lookin at a burst :hee
16GibsonL5CTRed.jpg
Definitely cool, and unusual. Love white guards on red guitars.

Anyway, thanks for sharing that. It's getting harder to find examples of the non-stock red vintage guitars that really belong in this thread.

Greasy G

A 1959 ES-225 in a beautiful unfaded cherry. The hang tag states "ES-225T special". Well, I think it's gorgeous! More pictures in the Reverb listing (listing has ended).

k9oabitpakqsb2w5d2oh.jpg

Greasy G

"Very rare original finish guitar in Cherry Red color. The new pickguard is from Mirabella, nocracks or breaks this is a great looking guitar." Wow, could it be? A second cherry red ES 295? (It's a '55, two years later than the other one inthis thread). Link

cnlp9gccooswijsmuacs.jpg

ghlf2rtrnll2npe0vpr7.jpg

JimR56

Another great find! Beautiful guitar. This is an experienced dealer... and yet part of me wants to be a bit skeptical about cherry being an option that early. I wish he had offered more details about it...

sgtvjr

Nice find, GG! :3zone

I now own this beauty and just wanted to say it is not cherry but factory red. The original owner was a fireman nicknamed Red. The original hang tag says ES 225 special. I will follow up with pictures soon.

JimR56

I now own this beauty and just wanted to say it is not cherry but factory red. The original owner was a fireman nicknamed Red. The original hang tag says ES 225 special. I will follow up with pictures soon.
Not sure what you mean by "factory" red, since cherry was the predominant stock red finish at that time. Anyway, congratulations! :salude Looking forward to seeing more pics.

sgtvjr

Not sure what you mean by "factory" red, since cherry was the predominant stock red finish at that time. Anyway, congratulations! :salude Looking forward to seeing more pics.

Just that the color is red as opposed to the cherry you would see on a double cut special. It is painted red not stained cherry. Sorry about the picture delay Im not good at loading pictures and Im expecting a friend to stop by and give me a hand. Thanks

JimR56

Hey, no problem. Whenever you're ready is fine- and thank you for sharing. If you're able to provide any more details on the history and details about the chain of information and sources, that would be cool too. It's such an unusual custom instrument. The fireman story is very interesting... not sure I've ever heard one like that. Cheers.

Greasy G

O, wow. Firetruck red! Now that's something else. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

renderit

I realize that this one is sort of Fugly, but it's rare and it's Ferrari Red. 1987 Gibson 20/20 bass, designed by Ned Steinberger.

I LUBS IT! If'n you ever go to sell it let me know.