The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 226
  1. #1
    Les Paul Forum Member captaincanada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    599

    The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    After seeing J45's pictures of his red hollowbodies in another thread, I was inspired to start a thread on these red beauties. Please add any pictures you may have of factory red Gibsons from the 50s and 60s.

    I'm not really talking about the common examples like cherry SGs and ES-335s, I'm talking about models that don't usually come in red, or custom examples like Sparkling Burgandy, Cardinal Red...

    I'll start with a few:











  2. #2
    Les Paul Forum Member captaincanada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    599

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era










  3. #3
    Les Paul Forum Member captaincanada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    599

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era




  4. #4
    Les Paul Forum Member captaincanada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    599

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era






  5. #5
    Les Paul Forum Member captaincanada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    599

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era





    Mandolin headstock!

  6. #6
    Les Paul Forum Member captaincanada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    599

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Cardinal red SG special:




  7. #7
    Les Paul Forum Member captaincanada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    599

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    These might be my favorites:






  8. #8
    Les Paul Forum Member captaincanada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    599

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era



    This one is factory, but it's a refin:

  9. #9

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    I've visited these forums a number of times, and I was going to register anyway, but this thread motivated me to finally do it. Let's just say I've always had a weakness (maybe lust is a better word) for cherry red Gibsons from the golden era. I've had my '63 L5CT (see below) for over 20 years, and even before that I lusted for a cherry L5, Super 400, or a Johnny Smith. I've seen a few in photos, on tv, and online. I saw a Super 400C in cherry many years ago in an old video on one of those country music channels (TNN, I think). There are a few beauties in the Tsumura book (a Crest, a 400CES, and a Johnny Smith). I also have a "Vintage Gallery" magazine from the mid-90's that included an Epi Emperor electric in cherry. Unfortunately, I had a hard drive crash a few years ago and lost a bunch of cool photos I had found online over the years.

    Anyway, love this thread. I can't add a lot, but here are a few things...


    '62 Epi Sheraton (pretty rare to find one this early in cherry)


    '63 L5CT (one of the last ones shipped, modified with hb's in the '60's)


    Gobel with a Christian pickup... my dream guitar for many years.


    '65 Super 400 (found this image online... wish it was larger)

    Now, back to the hunt!
    Last edited by JimR56; 05-02-18 at 07:44 PM.

  10. #10

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era


    Another 175, this one from '62


    '66 Trini Lopez (not sure how rare these are in cherry, but it's cool)

  11. #11
    Les Paul Forum Member ZZ Not's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    In a mellow mood
    Posts
    692

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Welcome to the Forum, JimR56. A grand entrance with the L5CT.

    I had to sell this Ruby LP Studio Gem as it was so mint I worried about messing it up every time I played it.

    The best responses we get from an audience are when we do our worst material.
    - Frank Zappa

  12. #12

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Thanks, ZZ, good to be here.


    Very unusual Epi Sheraton from the Gibson era (it's a '67), in burgundy.

  13. #13

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era


    1960 L5CES (sold at Skinner's auctions awhile back for $18K)

  14. #14
    Les Paul Forum Member captaincanada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    599

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Welcome JimR56! Your L-5 is stunning! Please show more pictures of it if you can

    Is the Gobel yours also?

  15. #15

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Quote Originally Posted by captaincanada View Post
    Welcome JimR56! Your L-5 is stunning! Please show more pictures of it if you can

    Is the Gobel yours also?
    Hi CC, thanks for the welcome. This should be fun (I post on a few other guitar forums, but some of them are pretty slow at times).

    The '63 L5CT, aka "George Gobel" model (modified with two humbuckers) is mine. The L5CT/Gobel with the Charlie Christian pickup is not mine (unfortunately), and the L5CES sold by Skinners is not mine. The only guitars of mine that I posted photos of here are the L5CT and the Epi Sheraton.

    A few more views of my L5CT:





  16. #16
    Les Paul Forum Member captaincanada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    599

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    That is simply outstanding! Just the sort of guitar I was hoping to unearth in this thread..
    Do you play jazz?

  17. #17

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Dang!!! A lot of beauties in here!
    the faster we go the rounder we get

  18. #18

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Quote Originally Posted by captaincanada View Post
    That is simply outstanding! Just the sort of guitar I was hoping to unearth in this thread..
    Do you play jazz?
    Yes, mainly jazz for about the last 30 years (not professionally, though). The L5CT is without doubt one of my favorite guitars I've ever owned, and I've had a lot of archtops (mostly vintage Gibsons) over the years. That guitar just sings. Very comfortable, very resonant, and mine has the 24 3/4" scale, which I love. By the way, it's the same guitar pictured in Adrian Ingram's L5 book (there are two photos of it in there- both in black and white, unfortunately).

  19. #19
    Les Paul Forum Member slimdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    877

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Beauty!

  20. #20
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,594

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Quote Originally Posted by JimR56 View Post
    Hi CC, thanks for the welcome. This should be fun (I post on a few other guitar forums, but some of them are pretty slow at times).

    The '63 L5CT, aka "George Gobel" model (modified with two humbuckers) is mine. The L5CT/Gobel with the Charlie Christian pickup is not mine (unfortunately), and the L5CES sold by Skinners is not mine. The only guitars of mine that I posted photos of here are the L5CT and the Epi Sheraton.

    A few more views of my L5CT:




    Beautiful guitar. Thanks so much for sharing!

  21. #21

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Thanks guys. It's a bit of a "player's guitar", but still a gem.

    Those cherry guitars (Super 400, Crest, Johnny Smith) in the Tsumura book really belong in this thread, but I can't find any images online. I did find a small image of a Crest, though:


  22. #22
    Les Paul Forum Member bluesforstevie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Nellytown U. City MO
    Posts
    12,676

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Quote Originally Posted by captaincanada View Post
    After seeing J45's pictures of his red hollowbodies in another thread, I was inspired to start a thread on these red beauties. Please add any pictures you may have of factory red Gibsons from the 50s and 60s.

    I'm not really talking about the common examples like cherry SGs and ES-335s, I'm talking about models that don't usually come in red, or custom examples like Sparkling Burgandy, Cardinal Red...

    I'll start with a few:
    Wow!! Year? More pics? Info?

    Quote Originally Posted by captaincanada View Post


    Amazing...tell me about this one below?

    Quote Originally Posted by captaincanada View Post
    What year is the SG? Is it Candy apple?

    Quote Originally Posted by captaincanada View Post

    Killer guitars man...thanx!!!!

  23. #23
    Les Paul Forum Member captaincanada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    599

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    BFS, I believe the red singlecut Special belongs to a friend of TW's, he mentioned in a thread here:

    http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...special+cherry

    It's got to be super rare, I think it's the only one I've ever seen that wasn't a refin.

    The SG is Sparkling Burgandy and it's circa 67' if I recall correctly. I know someone here in my town that has one just like it, but these are pics I found online..

  24. #24

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Besides '58 and '59 double cut juniors, this is my only entry that I have shown before:

    [IMG][/IMG]

  25. #25
    Les Paul Forum Member bluesforstevie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Nellytown U. City MO
    Posts
    12,676

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Quote Originally Posted by captaincanada View Post
    BFS, I believe the red singlecut Special belongs to a friend of TW's, he mentioned in a thread here:

    http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...special+cherry

    It's got to be super rare, I think it's the only one I've ever seen that wasn't a refin.

    The SG is Sparkling Burgandy and it's circa 67' if I recall correctly. I know someone here in my town that has one just like it, but these are pics I found online..
    A '67 SG special with HBs??? I've only seen them with P90's....is that in itself kind of rare??? I don't remember seeing many SG's after '65 with hum buckers, at least until the 70s...????

  26. #26
    Les Paul Forum Member bluesforstevie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Nellytown U. City MO
    Posts
    12,676

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Recluse View Post
    Besides '58 and '59 double cut juniors, this is my only entry that I have shown before:

    [IMG][/IMG]
    That's killer....it looks new man!!!

  27. #27

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Recluse View Post
    Besides '58 and '59 double cut juniors, this is my only entry that I have shown before:

    [IMG][/IMG]
    I'm new around here, so can you please tell me about that guitar? I thought it looked like one of those new models combining features from different traditional Gibsons, but then I noticed the truss rod cover (I had a custom trc like that on a 1962 Johnny Smith I sold a few years ago).

  28. #28
    Les Paul Forum Member captaincanada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    599

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Quote Originally Posted by bluesforstevie View Post
    A '67 SG special with HBs??? I've only seen them with P90's....is that in itself kind of rare??? I don't remember seeing many SG's after '65 with hum buckers, at least until the 70s...????
    I'm not sure I follow you...the 67' SG is a Standard..
    And the Red 59' Singlecut is the Special

  29. #29
    Les Paul Forum Member captaincanada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    599

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Brown Recluse, can you give any details on your contribution?

    A ES-330 with a 345 fingerboard and crown inlay? It's quite beautiful!

  30. #30

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Quote Originally Posted by captaincanada View Post
    Brown Recluse, can you give any details on your contribution?

    A ES-330 with a 345 fingerboard and crown inlay? It's quite beautiful!
    It's a '59 with several original non-standard features: 345 fingerboard, crown headstock inlay, Grovers and the Bigsby. I know the orange Duchossoir book doesn't list any Cherry finished 330's for '59, so the finish might also be considered a custom feature. Since the 330's didn't have serial numbers, I can only go by the 'S' FON to date the guitar as a 1959.

    I found the guitar and an accompanying GA-20 amp on ebay years ago. It came from an upstate New York antique shop. It came in an equally clean and original brown hard case. It's definitely a keeper.

  31. #31
    Les Paul Forum Member captaincanada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    599

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Whoa! So the Grovers are original? What does the trussrod cover say?

  32. #32

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Quote Originally Posted by captaincanada View Post
    Whoa! So the Grovers are original? What does the trussrod cover say?
    Yes, the Grovers are original. The truss rod cover is an after-market one with an engraved musical motif and the name of what I assume to be the original owner.

  33. #33
    Les Paul Forum Member bluesforstevie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Nellytown U. City MO
    Posts
    12,676

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Quote Originally Posted by captaincanada View Post
    I'm not sure I follow you...the 67' SG is a Standard..
    And the Red 59' Singlecut is the Special
    I don't think I follow me....

    brain lock...I guess what I mean is/was that I haven't seen many Standards from '67 in any color.

  34. #34

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Thank you guys, love the posts. I can only spectate and appreciate on this one. My only vintage is an lefty SG Jr and we all know what those look like...

  35. #35

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Recluse View Post
    Besides '58 and '59 double cut juniors, this is my only entry that I have shown before:

    [IMG][/IMG]
    I just realized that your Bigsby is the B7 type, which screws into the top. I find this puzzling, since you said it's a 330, and 330's normally have the B6 floating type, since the guitar is hollow.

    Just curious now... could there be a partial center block in there (under those Bigsby screws)?

  36. #36
    bigsby'd
    Guest

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Quote Originally Posted by JimR56 View Post
    I just realized that your Bigsby is the B7 type, which screws into the top. I find this puzzling, since you said it's a 330, and 330's normally have the B6 floating type, since the guitar is hollow.

    Just curious now... could there be a partial center block in there (under those Bigsby screws)?
    Most factory Bigsby'd 330s came with B7s.

  37. #37

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    They are also being used on the new reissues.

  38. #38
    Les Paul Forum Member captaincanada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    599

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Sparkling Burgandy:


  39. #39

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    Another one in Burgundy:


  40. #40
    Les Paul Forum Member 27sauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,408

    Re: The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

    ^^^WOW
    Marc

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!






i