The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 81 to 111 of 111
  1. #81
    Les Paul Forum Member hoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    6,608

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    Quote Originally Posted by zhivago View Post
    Excellent pics, Hoss...they capture the vibe of the guitar perfectly!
    Thanks. And vibe it has!

  2. #82
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator CDaughtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    12,146

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    Quote Originally Posted by nuance97 View Post
    Bumping an old thread, but I thought y'all might like some pics of my friends '56 Lester. Plenty of greening on this one...





    I LOVE how the flame is showing in the arm wear!

  3. #83
    Forum Moderator T.Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,177

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    An uber clean '68 that I own.






  4. #84
    Les Paul Forum Member Rev.WillieVK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Wherever I go, there I yam.
    Posts
    9,186

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    A little bit'o'greening, and a whole lot of checking


  5. #85
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    40,176

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    Under the pickguard.

    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  6. #86
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Michigan USA
    Posts
    3

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery







    I had this in my shop, very early,notice no binding.

  7. #87

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    Thanks, DOTMKR! Welcome

  8. #88

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    I own a 2001 R-7 that has greening where my arm rests. Is this expected from the Gibson finish used in this era? I seem to remember that this was one of the "improvements" or changes to get closer to a true '57. I can post photos if needed. I love the greening!
    1960 ES-345
    1960 LP Junior
    1960 LP Melody Maker (Single Cut)
    '57 RI Goldtop
    '57 RI Black Beauty
    '60 Special RI
    EDS-1275
    Les Paul LTD Edition
    ES-335, 135, 135, 137
    Corvus
    Inverted V
    '78, '79 The Paul
    J-160-E
    1965 Skylark
    1965 Apollo


    http://www.gundryguitar.com


  9. #89
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    40,176

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    Quote Originally Posted by gavindale View Post
    I own a 2001 R-7 that has greening where my arm rests. Is this expected from the Gibson finish used in this era? I seem to remember that this was one of the "improvements" or changes to get closer to a true '57. I can post photos if needed. I love the greening!
    That would not be an improvement in my book. That would indicate they are not using the correct gold color, which contains bronze [that's what turns green].
    I hope they never change to a gold that does not turn green [when exposed to air with moisture, etc.].
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  10. #90
    Les Paul Forum Member jimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Music City
    Posts
    1,681

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    That would not be an improvement in my book. That would indicate they are not using the correct gold color, which contains bronze [that's what turns green].
    I hope they never change to a gold that does not turn green [when exposed to air with moisture, etc.].
    He is saying that it does turn green and that he thought it was a change that Gibson did to get back to a truer 50s finish,

  11. #91
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    40,176

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmi View Post
    He is saying that it does turn green and that he thought it was a change that Gibson did to get back to a truer 50s finish,
    Yes, I got that.
    I wouldn't call it an improvement, to stop the greening.


    Anyway, it's a question for the Historic area. I'm sure there he will get the answer.
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  12. #92
    Les Paul Forum Member JJ Blair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,281

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    Greening of the finish itself if more like what happened to '68 and later GTs. '50s GTs don't green unless there is checking or finish wear that exposes the bronze layer to humidity or sweat.

  13. #93
    Les Paul Forum Member Musicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    In a cave and grooving with a pict...
    Posts
    1,586

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    I love this thread!

  14. #94
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    40,176

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ Blair View Post
    Greening of the finish itself if more like what happened to '68 and later GTs. '50s GTs don't green unless there is checking or finish wear that exposes the bronze layer to humidity or sweat.
    What caused the 68 and newer Goldtops to "green", if not the same thing as the 50s versions?
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  15. #95
    Les Paul Forum Member thin sissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,172

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    Yes, I got that.
    I wouldn't call it an improvement, to stop the greening.


    Anyway, it's a question for the Historic area. I'm sure there he will get the answer.
    The "improvement" he talked about was not "to stop the greening", but to make the finish turn green like on the old ones. As in:

    - At first the historics didn't turn green
    - then, "improvement"
    - then, greenage

    Or, that's the way I read it at least ?
    This is a song from the new album, it's a deep meaningful song this one... No, it's not whiskey in the fucking jar... Philip Lynott

  16. #96
    Les Paul Forum Member jimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Music City
    Posts
    1,681

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    Yes, I got that.
    I wouldn't call it an improvement, to stop the greening.


    Anyway, it's a question for the Historic area. I'm sure there he will get the answer.
    Are you and I reading the same text? He said they green, you say yo wouldn't call it an improvement if it doesn't green. His is in fact greening so what are you tryIng to say? I don't see the point of disagreement with what Gibson has done. They have improved the finish by allowing it to green.

  17. #97

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    Hi!

    Yes, what I was trying to say was that it is greening where my arm has worn through the top coat of clear, exposing the finish and has turned green. My understanding was that Gibson had added the "correct" bronze powder that had been used in the '50's Goldtop finishes.

    I apologize for this being discussed in this part of the forum. My original thought was that it was an appropriate post.
    1960 ES-345
    1960 LP Junior
    1960 LP Melody Maker (Single Cut)
    '57 RI Goldtop
    '57 RI Black Beauty
    '60 Special RI
    EDS-1275
    Les Paul LTD Edition
    ES-335, 135, 135, 137
    Corvus
    Inverted V
    '78, '79 The Paul
    J-160-E
    1965 Skylark
    1965 Apollo


    http://www.gundryguitar.com


  18. #98
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    40,176

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmi View Post
    Are you and I reading the same text? He said they green, you say yo wouldn't call it an improvement if it doesn't green. His is in fact greening so what are you tryIng to say? I don't see the point of disagreement with what Gibson has done. They have improved the finish by allowing it to green.
    This many days later, I'm not sure.

    It seems like they should be using the same type of gold finish they used in the 50s.
    If it does what it has always done, where is it improved?
    This part of this thread is now too confusing for me.
    I thought we were in the Vintage area. My Goldtops will turn green when it is time, as they are all 50s models. What Gibson does today would seem to be a topic for a different Forum area.
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  19. #99

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    Tom, you are correct. This is the wrong forum/thread for this topic and I apologize.

    I wish you, all of the moderators and everyone on the LPF, especially everyone that makes the LPF a reality, a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    1960 ES-345
    1960 LP Junior
    1960 LP Melody Maker (Single Cut)
    '57 RI Goldtop
    '57 RI Black Beauty
    '60 Special RI
    EDS-1275
    Les Paul LTD Edition
    ES-335, 135, 135, 137
    Corvus
    Inverted V
    '78, '79 The Paul
    J-160-E
    1965 Skylark
    1965 Apollo


    http://www.gundryguitar.com


  20. #100
    Les Paul Forum Member JJ Blair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,281

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    What caused the 68 and newer Goldtops to "green", if not the same thing as the 50s versions?
    I am not sure what exactly changed in their process to make this happen. The pic below is an excellent example. I tried to replicate it on a '69 refin I did, and it was a bitch.


  21. #101
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    40,176

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ Blair View Post
    I am not sure what exactly changed in their process to make this happen. The pic below is an excellent example. I tried to replicate it on a '69 refin I did, and it was a bitch.

    But, the finish is clearly "broken" or open along the binding. This allows moisture to enter the gold[bronze], just like on 5os era guitars.
    I suspect the clear coat on the late 60s models was different.
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  22. #102
    Forum Moderator T.Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,177

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    Some have suspected possibly some bronze in the clear. I don't know, but it does look and feel different from the 50's greening.

  23. #103
    Les Paul Forum Member jimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Music City
    Posts
    1,681

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    This many days later, I'm not sure.

    It seems like they should be using the same type of gold finish they used in the 50s.
    If it does what it has always done, where is it improved?
    This part of this thread is now too confusing for me.
    I thought we were in the Vintage area. My Goldtops will turn green when it is time, as they are all 50s models. What Gibson does today would seem to be a topic for a different Forum area.
    improved because at some point they moved away from the formula that allowed it to green in the same way. Ie, the improvement is a return to the 50s paint or as close as they can.

    the thread is about greening 50s goldtops. This, while a bit tangential, is relevant I think.

  24. #104

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    This is my 1984 Standard. I got it in '91 and it had a little greening around the edges. The rest is mine ;-) Does anyone have any insight into these early 80's gold tops? Interesting how it has a layer of gold at the very bottom that never greened. I've always wondered about the origins of this guitar, was it an early attempt at a reissue?

    Last edited by Rud Bobbins; 01-06-18 at 08:09 AM.

  25. #105
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    87

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    The cracking and greening of these 50s LPs is sublime

  26. #106
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,676

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    Quote Originally Posted by Patek View Post
    The cracking and greening of these 50s LPs is sublime
    Yes. If it was "plus lime" the green would be much more intense...


  27. #107
    Les Paul Forum Member JJ Blair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,281

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    I want to thank Photobucket for ruining a great thread.

  28. #108
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,676

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ Blair View Post
    I want to thank Photobucket for ruining a great thread.
    I thank them for ruining my life...I could'a been somebody...


  29. #109

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery


  30. #110

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    My two goldtops, a 53 & 58. Just a little bit of greening on these two


  31. #111
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    87

    Re: Gold Top greening gallery

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim's Guitars View Post
    My two goldtops, a 53 & 58. Just a little bit of greening on these two

    Wow the 53/58’s are so minty !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!