• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gold Top greening gallery

JJ Blair

I was hoping we could have a good collection of greening pics. I've noticed that none of the refinishers actually do it right, and it would be nice to have a resource to look at for comparison. Also, feel free to post '68s and '69s, because I'm curious to see if my observation that they tend to wear and green differently than '50s GTs is correct.

captaincanada

Here's a 69' (not owned by me:dang )

DSC03492.jpg

Lee Roy Parnell's 56' is pretty green:

56Goldtop-LeeRoyParnell.jpg

mbowen

Here is a 1957-i owned that had some green where the arm rests--shown with an SG Special in TV yellow.Mike B.
Goldtop3.jpg

JJ Blair

Notice how the kelly green one that '69 never happens on '50s Pauls? I wonder what was different about the finish that made that happen. We're they spraying green under the gold or something?

Greco

I think the reason most refinishers can't replicate this to a satisfactory level is it is difficult to speed up the process, and easier to use some kind of green dye. Although this looks fake, and fake greening is generally perceived as negatively as a heavy relic.

As far as I'm aware all real greening is from corrosion of the metal flakes in the paint. The metal flakes become exposed to air and moisture through areas of heavy wear and heavy checking. Most refinishes aim for light wear and have brand new checking. The checking is important because, new checking is undetectable at certain angles and if you run your finger over it and wouldn't expose much gold flake to the elements. Where as old checking (like on Tom's GI Paul) is defined by deep wide valleys which you would feel if you ran your finger over them and go down to the bare wood in some cases. It's very hard to fake this old checking.

Then there's the pigment itself. We know what the stuff was which was used in the 50s and it's available today from the same manufacturer. HM and Florian use it, among others I believe. It's a bronze(?) powder suspended in clear lacquer. Where as the stuff used in the 60s looks totally different. Probably a different manufacturer, grade of powder, or even a different metal altogether, maybe some sort of pre-made 'gold paint' available at the time.

There are many examples of 50s gold where the paint seems to wear off in layers. I think they sprayed the bodies clear first, then built up layers of gold, clear, gold , clear. Usually about 3 or 4 layers of quite thick paint until it had enough coverage:

guitar_gibson_1954_les_paul_with_tags_greening.jpg

This means that it takes a lot of wear to expose the gold flakes. The 60s and Norlin goldtops seem to green very easily and it seems to green the top layer of paint, which makes me think that maybe (because the paint is metal flakes in clear) they didn't clear coat the guitars as a final step? Or certainly didn't use so many layers. This means that there's a lot more flake exposed to the surface.

Anyway we need more photos of all gold LPs, they're my favourite :)

Last edited:

GTP 70929

:wow

If there was a contest of the World's most beaten 50's GTP (but still playable), I think that TW59 GI Paul and Lee Roy Parnell's 56 would be in the short-list.

As far as I remember from Robb Lawrence's Les Paul Legacy Vol.1, Bruce Conte's 57 GTP was quite beaten as well.

Thanks for all these incredible pics. :applaude

MapleFlame

Notice how the kelly green one that '69 never happens on '50s Pauls? I wonder what was different about the finish that made that happen. We're they spraying green under the gold or something?

Yes the 68-early 70's had a little different Gold color and hue to begin with.

GooCart

There are many examples of 50s gold where the paint seems to wear off in layers. I think they sprayed the bodies clear first, then built up layers of gold, clear, gold , clear. Usually about 3 or 4 layers of quite thick paint until it had enough coverage:

guitar_gibson_1954_les_paul_with_tags_greening.jpg

Interesting to say the least. I have this '53 GT that I always have thought was over sprayed/ refinished. I can see at least two layers of gold in the arm wear area. It looks exactly like this one but just two layers. Hmm....this put things in a new light:)

Here's the guitar in question.

1953_GT.jpg

Last edited:

DANELECTRO

1952. Unfortunately, somebody clear coated the top some time ago. Probably to stop the greening. :wah

GibsonLesPaul52Goldtop029.jpg

GibsonLesPaul52Goldtop032.jpg

GibsonLesPaul52Goldtop035.jpg

GibsonLesPaul52Goldtop034.jpg