• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1960 Burst @ Historic Makeovers

Hardrockmapletop

Kim's removed the filler from the gouge.
It's DEEP!
2.19mm deep! :rolleyes
Still weighing up the options.

Hardrockmapletop

Can't do it Eric.
I'd personally prefer to see a little red pigment shot behind the number.
Kim feels that the holly needs replacing as it was previously sanded thin, and also damaged when it was drilled for Schaller tuners.
The option could be there to thin the top end of the headstock, while still keeping it within specs, which could remove at least a little of the damage.

Sct13.....
Wonder if that Burst headstock was the Koss Burst's missing headstock? :wah

JIMI55LP

Like Eric said, buy a trashed Junior or Special to remove the real serial# and make up one for the JR/Special to be sold. I say get an actual Gibson serial# for the Burst' if Kim can restore the dug out surface properly and sell the doner LP with a created #, there are no sites keeping lists of JR's and Special's.

RyanC

I'm with Eric... stinger all the way. Historically accurate. Uncommon. Sexy as hell.

Either way great thread.

Ryan Givhan

Kim's removed the filler from the gouge.
It's DEEP!
2.19mm deep! :rolleyes
Still weighing up the options.
someone definitely didnt want anyone to be able to read that serial # . . . yikes. there has to be a story to this one. does anyone know it. if you do, do you want to tell it?

hoss

someone definitely didnt want anyone to be able to read that serial # . . . yikes. there has to be a story to this one. does anyone know it. if you do, do you want to tell it?
BEANO!!!

• Haha
Reactions: TM1

Tim

Can't do it Eric.
I'd personally prefer to see a little red pigment shot behind the number.
Kim feels that the holly needs replacing as it was previously sanded thin, and also damaged when it was drilled for Schaller tuners.
The option could be there to thin the top end of the headstock, while still keeping it within specs, which could remove at least a little of the damage.

Sct13.....
Wonder if that Burst headstock was the Koss Burst's missing headstock? :wah

A stinger would also allow you to hide the holes from the Schallers. You would end up with a total factory look. This is how I would go.

MapleFlame

I personally don't see the big deal on the serial number. There's enough info on this guitar by google and this forum that it won't be mis-diagnosed. Most of the guys in the know have great memories. Making too much out of this.

27sauce

I personally don't see the big deal on the serial number. There's enough info on this guitar by google and this forum that it won't be mis-diagnosed. Most of the guys in the know have great memories. Making too much out of this.

I feel the same, this guitar will not fade in to obscurity. It is what it is.

PHILBERT

Stingers are not my cup of tea either. That Dracula look widows peak thing is butt-ugly. :bat

Hardrockmapletop

Couldn't agree more MapleFlame.
I's a documented guitar, so who cares what the number is.

abalonevintage

Seems to me, if you are going to the expense and trouble to do it....do it right.

If there is ANY guitar that needs those extra hyper details, it's this beast.

Some future owner will thank you. :rofl

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

Couldn't agree more MapleFlame.
I's a documented guitar, so who cares what the number is.

There are many Burst buyers who don't come here.

As for who cares what the number is, the person that already has the legitimate Gibson with the number you use will care.
And those who don't like to see guitar buyers fraudulently taken advantage will also care.
I fall into the latter category. I hope others do also. :ganz

Greco

I think I would be leaning towards a stinger over the prospect of removing wood, definitely. I guess with this guitar either you have to live with a stinger or filled holes as a best case scenario.

For me, I can't see how those holes and the gouge can be disappeared well enough for my tastes without a stinger. I would almost be inclined to keep the holes over trying to cover them up with filler and leave the serial number scratched out. I'm sure Kim probably has some tricks up his sleeve though. Keep the updates coming!

JJ Blair

If Kim is really talented, which I know he is, he could lay in a piece of mahogany veneer into the gouge spot and smooth it out. An x-acto knife, some time, patience, and grain filler, you'd be surprised how good it will look, if you can't stomach a stinger. Mahogany is very forgiving in that way.

kthesheep

If Kim is really talented, which I know he is, he could lay in a piece of mahogany veneer into the gouge spot and smooth it out. An x-acto knife, some time, patience, and grain filler, you'd be surprised how good it will look, if you can't stomach a stinger. Mahogany is very forgiving in that way.
After looking at the situation. That's the same solution we came up with also.
It's going to be there no matter what. So a clean Mahogany plug is probable the best bet.

Hardrockmapletop

Well, this is the reason I'm here!
To get informed opinions on the best route to take, so thanks
everyone for all the input.:salude

Looking at the long term picture, it could be that the best thing is for me to buy the Melody Maker.
It has a serial number (0 0975) that suits the neck profile, the thing already has a major heal break, and can be had for $1,000.
It's already had a few original parts swapped out for repros, and one would only have to slightly relic one digit of it's serial number to make it semi-illegible, but an otherwise legit early '60 number.
Makes sense to grab it, right?
If we were trying to make the Burst look like 100% original finish, it would make sense to NOT fill the Schaller tuner holes and do everything possible to repair the gouge.
Fact is, it's a refin, and will always be documented as a refin.
Having said that, it would be nice to see the gouge disappear!:)
Maybe you can "feather" a piece of mahogany in Kim, rather than a "plug" as such.
The pressure is on now! Hehe!:rofl

Last edited: