• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1983 Les Paul Spotlight Special Photos

Supercurio

Just did a little google searching and found an old thread on here with another picture of my quilted ASB spotlight that you posted Mike.

106_p2882.jpg

I was wondering... what do you suggest for polishing and/or enhancing the beauty of the maple top? I'd like to clean it up as best as I can, but I've never been an expert in that area.

Colby S.

Cwest

Howdy,
I am new to this forum and am looking for some information on my guitar. It is an 83 spotlight special that my Dad bought new in 1983. The serial number is 83 053. My dad past away two years ago without knowing exactly what the guitar was...except for it being a rare and fantastic guitar. Any help is very much appreciated.

davir, According to my Log Book, I built your 83 156 on July 21st, 1983 at the Nashville plant. It was the fourth guitar I built that day.

6a41430f-4ccb-4bf1-b8e2-572e4be685e7_zpsvf3ui4mi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Spotlight%2083%20156_zps6icwbkek.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Fabiolo

Typically, it would be in the area where the pickup and toggle wires enter the cavity. This pic is from eBay when 83 089 went up for sale a year or so ago.

I, could you help find who’s the guy with the JL initials and maybe the meaning of the two stars ?
thank you.

Bluesdoggie

You have some very special, and very beautiful Spotlights, Mike. In fact, you were kind of inspirational to me in buying mine. Here is my ASB #83 109, which was kind of bastardized when I found it, and I spent some time finding the right parts and rehabbing it (although I have made a couple of 'improvements' along the way, in the Faber bridge/tp and a 50's wiring harness). Along with it is my '08 CS Spotlight Flame prototype. It was the only one they didn't "ruin" with the wider walnut strip, and is likely the only Spotlight anywhere with a long tenon neck. I've recently changed parts to make it look truer to the original ANT's, but haven't made pics, yet. Enjoy, and thanks again, Mike!

j-t--albums-spotlight-flame-prototype-picture42487-dscf9516.jpg

j-t--albums-spotlight-flame-prototype-picture42491-dscf9531.jpg

Attachments

• jruid3te8etygekzh14h.jpg
    jruid3te8etygekzh14h.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 1
  • p6mze5enylhpi1ocvogg.jpg
    p6mze5enylhpi1ocvogg.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 1

Bluesdoggie

Craig Brody sold this later proto a while back....

Attachments

• jruid3te8etygekzh14h.jpg
    jruid3te8etygekzh14h.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 4
  • p6mze5enylhpi1ocvogg.jpg
    p6mze5enylhpi1ocvogg.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 4
  • tq0camqnkhzh91lxiqhr.jpg
    tq0camqnkhzh91lxiqhr.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 4

MikeSlub

Administrator
Just did a little google searching and found an old thread on here with another picture of my quilted ASB spotlight that you posted Mike.

106_p2882.jpg

I was wondering... what do you suggest for polishing and/or enhancing the beauty of the maple top? I'd like to clean it up as best as I can, but I've never been an expert in that area.

Colby S.
Yes, I owned that Spotlight several years back and traded it for another guitar (can't remember which one). As far as cleaning, I just use guitar polish, but if there are scuffs or things that need some very mild abrasive, I've used Meguires Swirl Remover. And Greg Platzer turned me onto some other stuff (can't remember the name right now) that I bought and it works pretty well. Will post it when I remember to look in the stash.