• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1987 Les Paul Custom--Good Year?

Mineral Mike

There was someone I ran into that claims that the 1987 Les Paul Custom is extremely desirable. Of course, they are trying to sell that very guitar! Ha ha ha!

Is this true, or does it really matter what year the Custom was made?

Thanks,

Mike:salude

shred

As far as LP's go 1987 is a 'nothing special' year... 68-76 Lp's have some extra cache, being worth more as they get older. The late 70's onward aren't especially desirable until you get to the Reissues. Depending on condition/issues I'd be aiming for around $2000, maybe less.

Last edited:

Mineral Mike

Thanks Shred,

Yeah, the price is US2800. So for that, it is going to have to beat the crap out of my 06 Classic and 2010 Standard Traditional with respect to tone and playability. I am trying this Custom on a test amp along with my two LP's to get a real comparison of performance.

Progrocker111

There was someone I ran into that claims that the 1987 Les Paul Custom is extremely desirable.

Really nothing special in that year. Short tennon, swiss cheese weight reduction holes, pickups nothing special too. I would prefer 82-84 Les Paul Customs with Shaw pickups and no holes instead.

jrr

while i'm not an expert on the year...i have had a 1987 Black Standard that i've owned since new.It has the most pronounced note bloom i have ever heard in all the Lespauls i've owned over the years.It really makes you want to hang on and drag out that note with a slow vibrato as it swells post initial attack....its a beautiful sound....don't know that its got anything to do with the year tho.It was pre BL. era pups...it had decent Gibsons in there originally...but the tims(a higher output version to my ears than his earlier versions) i put in there really seem to accentuate that characteristic on this particular guitar.

jrfisher

Ummmm.. Early 80's, Shaw Pups :)

Norlin_Group_06.jpg

Mineral Mike

Wow, jrfisher, those are some great looking instruments. Thanks for the photos.

Well I ended up buying the guitar because it had dam good growl, and great tone modulation with vibrato and bends. I just hope it is not a fake. Sounds great and plays great.:salude

shred

Congrats on your custom... I've got one thing to say... :photos

Peter100

Wow, jrfisher, those are some great looking instruments. Thanks for the photos.

Well I ended up buying the guitar because it had dam good growl, and great tone modulation with vibrato and bends. I just hope it is not a fake. Sounds great and plays great.:salude
woow nice guitars congrats

jrr

congrats MM...i really think you'll find the 87 to be a keeper in the long run....i had an 82 very much like jrfishers antique sunburst...it had shaws and i have to say its was a beautiful instrument....solid rock screamer..the Shaws smoked everything i had owned up to that point.I sold it because i had too many guits at the time,and i had just bought 4! :applaude (which i still own today!) brand new late eighties LesPauls which i found to be lighter and more resonant,partly because Gibson had reverted back to a one piece mahoganey neck,which i prefered(including my '87).The 82 was significantly heavier(3 piece maple neck) and less resonant so wasn't getting any playing time.

Jeffrec

My '87 Custom weighs 9+ and sounds Incredible. I've got so many compliments on the tone

Doc8405

Not sure who said it about the pickups but the '87 BB had Shaw in them and Shaw are the best around beside wiz pickups from early 80's to late 80 Shaw to today's wiz pickups. After playing for over 50 yrs I can say even 1959 - 1960 pickups were on it and sometimes way off it. But never heard a poor Shaw or Wiz. Glad you bought the '87 enjoy!!!!

Shocktop99

There was someone I ran into that claims that the 1987 Les Paul Custom is extremely desirable. Of course, they are trying to sell that very guitar! Ha ha ha!

Is this true, or does it really matter what year the Custom was made?

Thanks,

I had a black '87 Les Paul standard for about a year, I can't imagine how a custom plays, but that standard was a beaut! If you buy it post some pics for us to see!!

-Jake

Wattage

I had an '87 Custom I bought new in '87

It was a pretty nice guitar, it was my first new Gibson. If it had weight relief holes I'd be shocked, it weighed a freaking ton lol

Kind of wished I'd kept it but I am a knucklehead when it comes to that kind of stuff