• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Marshalls first solid state amplifier?

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I'd guess Mercury too.

marshall1.jpg

They may have tubes.

1973 started the JMP solid state stuff like the "Lead 100" 2 x 12 combos with front mounted controls.

nickza

I'd guess Mercury too.

marshall1.jpg

google says:

It's either orange or red in terms of vinyl covering (!), transistor preamp and 1 EL84 output valve pushing out 5 watts into a 12" speaker (no speaker maker info sorry but prob a Celestion). Mail order only from early '72 to late '73, model number 2060 Mercury.

So cant be that?

spidey

I had a lead 100w, though the inputs were on the left of the panel, not the right.

Was the Capri a ss amp?

nickza

2078 JMP Lead 100 Solid State, 100W 4x12" combo

This amp was in production from 1973 up to 1978. It was one of the first all transistor Marshall combos. It has two channels and an effects loop. These amps were fitted with four Celestion G12M Lead (75Hz) speakers.

2078-pic.jpg

Nihon Jim

2078 JMP Lead 100 Solid State, 100W 4x12" combo

This amp was in production from 1973 up to 1978. It was one of the first all transistor Marshall combos. It has two channels and an effects loop. These amps were fitted with four Celestion G12M Lead (75Hz) speakers.

2078-pic.jpg

That's what I'm talking about! A 4x12 combo!
I wanna' travel around and gig with that baby! :jim

Richie

Someone with more Marshall amp knowledge than me may know the correct answer. But thinking way back around 2001. We had our 18watt Marshall Yahoo group at that time. And a 2x10 SS version came up on ebay.
I probably have the pics saved somewhere on an old disc.
Or there may be some info of it on the old yahoo site, or maybe moved to the later 18watt site that is still active today.
But[going on memory here] if you look in the Doyle book. Either on the 18 watt history or maybe the ad section in the back. In a small notation it says their are also Transistor models of the amp. They may have been mail order only amps. But the amp that was on ebay looked like an old 18 2x10 except the back was a bit different, and it was SS.

Back then the 18 was almost exact copy of a WEM dominator. WEM had Solid state amps in 65 i believe it was. Selmer,and Vox also had them.
So it wouldn't be a suprise to see a SS marshall amp then.
But most will think of the Transistor amps being in production in the 70s.or made for sale to the masses in those years.

Nathan F

I remember pulling the 20w blackback speakers and hardware from two SS Marshalls, then dumping the rest. Still have my 80s lead 20 though...

jpwyatt

Hi everyone, sorry to resurrect a very old thread, but I have recently acquired one of these, and wondered if anyone has more information about it?
I think its from late '66 / early '67.
Thanks
James

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

TM1

Hi everyone, sorry to resurrect a very old thread, but I have recently acquired one of these, and wondered if anyone has more information about it?
I think its from late '66 / early '67.
Thanks
James

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Can you take a piccy of the inside? Love to see that! I know the ones from 1973 were pretty decent sounding for a Tranny amp. I believe Steve Grindrod designed that series. That was around the time he became the head of R & D @ Marshall until he left in 2003 and went to Vox!