• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Korina Explorers From 1983 With Names

timsum

This is my first post here and reading everyone's comments is about explorers is pretty cool. I have a mint 1983 Korina Explorer that I bought from, I think, the Chicago Music Exchange in 1994. I am not looking to sell it but because its such a cool guitar, would like to know its history. The serial # indicates it was built in March, 1983 and has a decal "Custom Shop Edition" on the back of the headstock. I have never taken the p/u out so dont know if there are names below and i hesitate to take them out just to see. How can i tell if its a 2 or 3 piece guitar? I only see the neck joined to the body. Also, I may be confused but it seems like there are a variety of 1983 explorers - Limited Edition Custom Shop, Standard, Korina, Heritage and Heritage Elite. How can I tell which mine is?

Capt Brad

I hope i'm not stirring the dead!
44129371_2233652056872030_7865494731537514496_n.jpg

howiee

This Thread has been quiet for a while so I thought I should bring it back to life.

I just purchased a 1983 Korina Explorer LE with a 2 piece body and the name "Liz" inside the bridge pickup cavity.

I also picked up an 1981 Korina Flying V with a 2 piece body and found the name "Betty" inside the control cavity.

I'm having issues uploading pictures, but I will as soon as I figure it out.

K_L

Two very nice looking guitars 'howiee'--thanks for posting your pictures! For me it`s always nice to see a beautiful Gibson Explorer

dbwalker

full
full

picked her up at an estate sale this morning, can anyone read her name? Bonnie? or is it Vicky?

howiee

Wow, Beautiful find! Is it a Custom or Heritage?
It looks like there are 2 names and I can't make out either.

Congrats

dbwalker

Wow, Beautiful find! Is it a Custom or Heritage?
It looks like there are 2 names and I can't make out either.

Congrats

custom shop edition, i seen it laying on the couch at the estate sale with a peace of painters tape on it that said $2500, I picked it up and started looking it over and they said half off all prices you see, the guitar is near mint, 2 very small impressions on the lower bout and a small scuff at the top of the head stock, frets have essentially no wear on them

corpse

The problem with that is:
1) Not driving off the road on a panic
2) ATM's/Banks limit you to $600/day withdrawal

The good news is many estate sales folks now have a CC friendly payment system- but not all. Great pics. Great find.

Kirill

Do you come across other guitars with names or just exploler and flying? i have sg 1989 named bernice. does it have anything to do with your episodes
attachment.php

bytor

i live in australia ive had my explorer over 35 years it has the name linda in black ink in the neck cavity and the name rita in red ink in the bridge cavity that also has the no.23 the control cavity also has this no.

Lamotte

I just bought an explorer korina custom shop edition from march 4, 1983, it has "sharon" in the neck cavity and 9:53 AW in the switch cavity. Beautyful guitar, i just have to find a Flying V korina from the same period:)

lyscarz

10 years ago I bought a birdseye A-series Heritage V from another member here with Doris in neck cavity. Today 10 years later after regretting selling it for 5 years now… I found another one. Very low A-serial, birdseye and yes ALSO Doris in the neck cavity…. was it the builders sex-symbol nickname? A single guy fan of old posergirls or is Doris a code for “birdseye”!!!???