• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My UN-CONVERSION project!

Fuzzface

Hi guys. This project has taken me 18 years! I bought a badly converted 52 les paul around 1994, broke the headstock shortly after, and on the whole forgot about it. Anyway, Long story short.... I wanted to re-convert/un-convert it to look like a 53/54.

In hindsight, I should have gone goldtop humbucker route and neck reset. I know many of you will think I'm mad, and and you are probably right. This was a prime conversion candidate... I know, I know. Anyone else reversed (almost) a conversion?

Here are some progess pics. Graham Noden did the woodwork repairs, and Charlie Chandler has done the painting. Kim from Vintage Checkout has got me most of the parts. The bridge will be a shaved stop tail although the Glasser Trapeze is interesting. The finish will be naturally tinted in next few weeks, and should be all done in 6 weeks. The last pics are with iphone so apologies for their quality. Enjoy!

As a burst:-
8.jpg

Headstock break:-
11.jpg

Routes/holes plugged
52close.jpg

Latest pics:-
GoldtopHeadstock.jpg

GoldtopClosebody.jpg

GoldtopFullbodyShot.jpg

GoldtopFullbodyShot2.jpg

BurstWurst

I'm loving it that she's getting a wrap-tail. I am so jonesing for a wrap-tail 50s LP.

MapleFlame

What it boils down to, is what you like and want. I thought the Burst was killer with that slightly off center Seam. Great project and thanks for sharing

boogieongtr

And there you go, a conversion... unconverted. Great project. Thanks for the thread and enjoy!!!

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
Well... It's no secret that I'm a P90 wraptail Lester fan, so I'm going to give this project two thumbs up. :salude

Fuzzface

Nice ORANGE. :salude .. Which one is that? :hmm

No idea! This pic is at Charlie Chandlers shop.

The pics make this guitar look much more gold than it really is by the way. Much paler in reality.

Fuzzface

great
i think such threads we will see more often in future

If this project was to land on my lap again, I would PROBABLY gone the full conversion.

This was definitely not the best financial route! A full conversion would poss have cost more and prob made it more finacially desirable. It will always be a refin 52 with a typical shallow neck and plugged holes that migfht begin to show as the finish sinks/ages. But I did this to get the guitar I wanted.

IF I ever buy a un-molested 53/54, it would make me think again about converting this...i HAVE to be honest here.

On a diff note, does the top look a bit oversanded? Not bothered, but is it too much of a pronounced dish?