• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

3 hole truss rod covers - what years?

martie6621

I had never seen (or noticed, maybe) a Gibson electric with a 3 hole cover for the truss rod. Ran across a 1969 ES340 with that - a 3 hole cover. What years did they do that (if they did on a production basis. Maybe this one's a freak,fluke, or fake)

Thanks

Last edited:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
They did not do this on the 50s Les Pauls, as far as I know. :)

I have seen a couple and they seem to be late 60s. They are done that way due to a mistake.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
The distance from the nut [fingeroard end] to the truss rod cut was too small for the screw and the "clapper" of the bell. So they sanded the clapper away and used two screws at that end.

gibson-r8

Tom,
I had never heard that. Any idea of how many guitars that might have been produced that way? That seems like such a Leo Fender thing to do (frugal) but so Norlin as well.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Tom,
I had never heard that. Any idea of how many guitars that might have been produced that way? That seems like such a Leo Fender thing to do (frugal) but so Norlin as well.

No idea but from what I have seen, it is quite rare. I first noticed it less than 10 years ago on an acoustic I bought, and I've been into vintage guitars going on 40 years now.